Favorite Headphones

I use them with ar an ak
Fantastic!
No extra AMP needed
Also for listening spotify from my Phone it is fine. Not too loud, But loud enough

Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro - 130€, super comfortable and great sound.
Get a couple headphones and try which you like better.

Another +1 for the Beyerdynamic 990s.

My A4 sounds lovely through them. They’re a bit bassy I think though (which I quite like).

So, my wife is now working third shift so I picked up some BeyerDynamic DT880 Pros. They feel so good the idea of putting my ATM-50x on is sad so I’m sort of pondering a couple more pairs of headphones. One closed set and one in-ear. Any suggestions? It seems like DT770s are great as a closed option, and if they’re as cozy as the 880s I can’t imagine being unhappy and reviews make them seem solid sound-wise.

On the earbud route, it’d be more for casual listening. I’ve never been a big fan because they aren’t particularly cozy and they’re not supposed to be good for your hearing. So sort of skeptical, but open to considering a pair just for the occasional traveling stretch where the big closed options aren’t as convenient.

I’m open to spending up to around $300ish on each theoretically. Any suggestions?

Beyerdynamic dt990 through the sonarworks plugin

Not sure if that was a response to someone else or not, but I’m looking for a closed pair and an in-ear pair. 990s are open. If you’re responding to someone else, sorry for thinking you were maybe responding to me :slight_smile:

Phillips Fidelio X2 are nice for listening to techno and such, they got good Base and also the rest seems ok to me. Just ordered BD 1770Pro, hope they deliver better for mixing…

1 Like

Those BD 1170Pro are really nice, clear sound, good performance throghout the whole sound spectrum.
A bit pricey, but totally worth it.

Really loving my Phonon SMB-02. Been using them for both producing and mixing.

3 Likes

I’ve been eyeballing these headphones. Are you feeding a preamp to the headset, or can you use them stand alone?

Hmm, these look interesting. Must be relatively flat frequency-wise if recommended for mixing…

I have the Shure SE425s. Great for listening to music/podcasts on the go and for synths (OP-1). Bluetooth for convenience, but also have the standard cables for synths.

I use beyerdynamic 990’s @ work & 880’s @ home. Absolutely love them! I’m not too keen on the 770’s.

They’re easy to drive

Not sure I’d call them pancake flat, but very detailed. Great bass response and clear highs. I feel like I can rely on them, and master technicians I’ve worked with recently been have been happy with my source material which is completely done with these cans.

2 Likes

Great headphones with really flat sound but the decision for having undetachable cable is beyond me.

I previously owned Beyerdynamic DT990’s and Shure 940’s. I tried a ton of cans in the shops. I am now very fond of the Audio Technica M50x that I own for a year or so.

Works well in combo with my Genelec 8040B monitors.

I literally just came back from a soundcheck with my new live set on a high quality 10kW PA. Show tomorrow. First time out with this project. I was prepared to have to do a lot of EQ’ing and balancing. Didn’t do any. Sounded great as mixed on the M50x’s and 8040’s.

I’ve owned a lot of headphones over the years. I have found Beyerdynamic headphones to be wildly inaccurate in frequency response.

Currently I use the Sennheiser HD25 (latest version), to good effect for production and help with mixing. I haven’t found anything else as good.

I use KRK KNS 8400 since some years, i’m used to and really like em.

1 Like

I’ve had these same headphones for years and would also recommend them.

1 Like