Favorite Headphones

love them too, but i found the difference in sound rather drastic when i immediately switch from 'em to yamaha sh7. strangely, monitors often turn to be more forgiving overall, but show very different flaws in sound.
fun observation: if to start building a sound (octatrack mainly) on yamahas, is sounds pretty decent in headphones then

I have hd25
Don’t like them at all
Uncomfortable and rather boxy sound
I much prefer open back designs

Senn HD650. Delicious.

beyer 880 pro 250ohm or 125 ohm :baby_chick:

beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro 250 or 80 ohms.
the best workhorse on the market, period.

p.s. eGrado for portable player :sunglasses: never listening to music from the phone.

I purchased the Beyerdynamic DT1770 - not because me being able to judge the sound (I can’t) but because the cable can be detached - there are spiral and straight cable options included, and because the cable is on the left. May seem like odd reasons but given what has been written about the Beyerdynamic, I assume that the sound/quality is good. Those wearing glasses, should not worry about the round design.

Audio Technica, … forgot the model, they are about 8 years old and were not cheap :smiley:

I feel with headphones the most important thing is to stick with them for a while.

I’ve tried loads and these are the ones I own :

akg K240 - semi open back - cheap - IMO one of the best sounding headphones below 200 - ugly as fuck

akg K550 - closed back - huge build and heavy but comfy - insanely open sound for closed back - not enough low end unless you press them to your head (maybe I have a small head) - nice design

BeyerD DT 770 pro - closed back - nice build and super comfy but hot - great sound but sometimes a bit fluffy

Sony MDR 7506 - closed back - light on the head (I find these comfy) - very balanced and great sounding compared to any of the others - design hasn’t really changed since the 80’s so they look like a joke and feel cheap.

I’ve also tried Audio Technica ATM50X and ATM30X and the cheaper 30X sound way better to me but they’re both way too heavy on bass.

…and I’ve tried most of the AIAIAI headphones upto the 250 price range and wasn’t impressed enough to buy them - I’d have bought them only because of cosmetic reasons.

My faves are the Sony MDR7506 - based on sound alone - for both recording and mixing. I was genuinely surprised by them and still am - I just wish the build quality was more solid.

1 Like

I quite liked the 7506 until I compared them back to back with a pair of Audeze LCD-X. Not a very fair fight, admittedly. But it exposed their lack of detail so strongly that I haven’t used them for mixing since.

I do find them to be comfortable and great value though.

HD25 definitely have a boxy sound, I agree. Good workhorse phones though and great for DJing. Also they seem to be indestructible, despite first impressions of some of the cheap looking plastic parts.

Audio Technica ATH M50x

240’s are the studio standard for a reason… can monitor for hours without fatigue and great balance overall. Shame about the gold accents tho.

wow I’d love to try those out - could never justify spending 1500 on headphones but kinda wish I could :blush:

The AKG K550 have a super detailed sound and quite amazing sound field too - way more so than the MDR 7506 but I still find the Sony’s more balanced or true (if there is such a thing) … just my ears I guess!

The MDR7506 are definitely quite neutral. They don’t over-emphasise anywhere I think.

I know, the LCD-X are a bit ridiculous, but if you buy the creator pack without the hard case, they are one of the cheaper Audeze models… that’s one for the “hollow justifications” thread…

3 Likes

I have both Aiaiai TMA-2 and AKG k702.

I use TMA-2 for deejaying and checking if my productions are fun to listen too. They lack a bit of detail and are quite bass heavy. But that’s also why there are fun and good to use for deejaying.

For production I use my k702. I only got them 1 month ago and man, what an improvement. They are extremely flat and very detailed. I can really see an improvement in my mixes as jams/tracks suddenly translate better to other sound systems.
They are currently relative cheap for reference headphones. 115€. An awesome price for such neutral headphones. They are the same as the k701, just with detachable cable.

Yep great phones for DJing, crap for studio

I want these but I don’t need them. Neo Geo x Roland headphones.

1 Like

Picked up the Pioneer X10 on a Black Friday sale. Needed headphones for a gig to replace some Sony’s. Have to say, they are pretty dope. Awesome build quality and sound great.

1 Like

Hey! A bit lazy to read the 180 post… can you drive me on the best 3 relatively good sub 150 earphone pair, please. Thanks alot . Until now i had sehneiser 25 but they are broken… just want to look for alternative before buying again…

Sony MDR 7506. Flat response, comfortable, industry standard, great price. They’ve been making them for like 30 years or something. You’ll never need to think about headphones again.

2 Likes