Favorite Headphones

Haha yeah… I guess that’s a solution. But these are already so large. With this I’m definitely not using them on the train anymore :wink:

I’ve got Sony MDR 7506. Sound wise good, but workmanship is shit. Not even 2 years old and the cushions are falling apart and that coiled cable is the most idiotic invention ever. Also it makes my ears burn after a while.

My son bought himself Bose Sound link 25 and they are fantastic. The cups fit your ears, confortable, the sound is fantastic and has a noise cancelling feature.
But the price is 2 x of Sony.

Another vote for the DT-880 Beyerdynamic, another thing I like about Beyerdynamic is they sell spares for the headphones so no need to chuck them out when the headband breaks or the earpads go all flat.

Beyerdynamic DT150 here. Same shape as the 100, which are the classic closed drummer cans you see in every studio, but with different drivers for flat response all the way down to the lows. I’ve compared them against the DT770 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and the DT150 was better than both. Only downside is they get a bit hot and sweaty after a couple of hours.

I went to the local gear store today and compared a dozen cans on demo there, looking for a closed-back replacement for my Shure 940’s which I find lacking in the low end, see my earlier post. There was Beyerdynamic, Shure, AKG and Sennheiser on display, but only a couple of each brand, not all models. Tested ones include Beyer DT 770M, 880, 990, Sennheiser HD 650, 380, 25, Shure SRH 940, 840, AKG K271, K182.

The only model I found surpassing the 940’s in overall sound quality is the Sennheiser HD650, but that’s open-back. Some had better low than the 940 but were terrible in other aspects. It’s astonishing how much difference there is between cans when you A/B them. I’d never buy a pair without testing and comparing.

Then I saw they had an Audio-Technica M40x boxed on a shelf and demo’d that one too. Fairly good overall with hyped low end. Given my experience with the 940 I’d rather have too much than too little low. I had the store order an ATH-M50x as it’s supposed to be a bit better balanced than the M40x. Hoping that will be my solution when it comes in store.

This made me curious as well. The links were dead but I found an archived version of the interview and will quote it here in case the archive gets removed. I guess I have to pick up a pair of 7510’s and re-listen Syro :sunglasses:

With Syro, some of it sounds best on cans as i made most of it with phonz which I love doing [sony 7510’s, tracks 6,7,8,9,11 to be precise], to be properly inside the music but is kinda shit/disjointed sounding then for listening on speakers/monitors coz ur not feeling it in your body when your making it, its just resonating ur ed
With the phoney7510’s, they do translate extremely well, they’re not the best pair of headphones for listening to music but to write/mix on, ive never heard anything as good as those yet, and I’ve heard a lot of em, not all but a lot, most, so mabe better ones out there.

2 Likes

dt 880 pro 250 ohms

I have Sennheiser HD380, i am fine with them, but they got a lot better with the calibration profile from sonar works.

Sennheiser HD 600, they sound amazing. I had a long session yesterday creating patches on my A4, very detailed sound and very comfortable as well! I’m starting to prefer them over monitors even!

Just took delivery of the “Aphex Twin” Sony 7510. Paid just shy of 100 euro for it. My first impression is that this thing is impossible to beat for its price. While not made to listen to music, I did a short listening session and it is perfectly fine for listening too. Just don’t except any hyped frequencies.

It sounds much, much better than the price would suggest. Very analytical and clean. Sounds big for a closed headphone. Impressive frequency range for the money too (5-40 kHz). The bass is very good, controlled and not muddy at all. And it goes low af.

Whilst the 7520 is much better on paper and three times the cost, it is also banned in Europe for some reason. Can’t wait to test if these cans translate as good as Aphex Twin suggests :sunglasses:

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-MDR7510/

which one do you prefer? wouldnt the 80 ohm give better volume levels when plugged directly into the rytm?

After a long hiatus from them, I am now back to using my AKG K240 ”sextett” 600 ohm vintage cans I found from a dumpster some years ago. While the Focal Spirit Pro phones I used to use are still aight, I find work done on the sextetts translates even better! Needs a beefy headphone output though…

i’m looking for a pair of headphones for two reasons: left ear and right ear :joy:

aha … but anyway, yes would like to find a pair of quality headphones that will give good volume and soundstage definition when previewing tracks in the Octatrack, via the OT’s headphone output … amongst the environment of a medium-high volume club.

and obviously would like headphones to work with during home studio sessions, fine tuning bass and drums for house and minimal funky techno, etc.

currently looking for an economical option to then upgrade later. possibly will go for the Behr hpx6000 unless there is a better model in the same price bracket.

comfort and volume are the two main features required, with volume (without distorting) possibly being most important, as it seems like more detailed listening is required when playing an improvised live set, even if it is only with one device, ie. Octatrack.

i guess if the Octatrack’s headphone output is not loud enough when playing a club, there is always the option to connect the Cue outputs to a spare channel of the DJ mixer and then use the mixer’s Cue volume to uplift the headphone previewing level.

I love open back headphones and currently use AKG K-701 and Beyerdynamic DT-880. Both sound fantastic, but bass freq are more pronounced on Beyerdynamic.

I noticed that when I got a new set of 770s, couple of months use now and they feel great!

Awesome headphones these but wish they kept with the old spiral flat cord, what ever it’s called lol, the new style of cord doesn’t hold its spring
As well.

Post withdrawn by author

which one do you prefer? wouldnt the 80 ohm give better volume levels when plugged directly into the rytm?

Both are really great professional tools! Have to admit that they are extremely comfortable! Really.
I prefer to use monitor speakers while I’m working with sound/music production and use headphones for precise work or when I don’t have access to monitors. Or at night.
I bought 770 first and used them very intense until purchasing monitors. Currently I use 770 mostly at my work in office due to their outside noise isolation and while recording of sound effects with field recorder. But for studio work I bought 990 and as for me it is more comfortable to work with them for a long time during day due to they have open acoustic design and perception of sound is different. I don’t know how to describe it. Downside is that other people will hear everything you are listening.
For some music I’d prefer 770 for other – 990 but I’d say that 770 is more universal and I’d buy them first.
I don’t have any issues with volume level using 250 Ohm version with my Elektron gear. Also with any laptop. If you plan to use headphones with low-power output portable player – may be 80 Ohm give you better results but for use with professional gear 250 Ohm is more preferable.

You feel like the 325’s would be okay for budget mixing?

Grado SR225
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250

Both have different peaks in the highs which helps any translation problems.

Yep. Even the SR-80 sound great. Great bang for the buck.

The 325s are great! You really should test drive them if you can. But i knew the second i tried the grados they were for me. The sound is fantastic. Pillows for your ears!

Werd of warning…the head band is thin leather. The headphones are nice and light, but that band will dig in after a while. I paded mine up…and theyre perfect.

1 Like