Favorite Headphones

I use GRADO

• RS-1 for mixing
  • PS1000 for listening

you can get some GRADO SR325 for the price you are after and the are AWESOME.

this is extremely subjective :wink: For example ā€¦ i had the DT 770 Pro on and their pressure was insane for my taste. I felt them every second i had them on. Same for the DT 880 Pro. Tried out the AKG K-702 and it was MUCH MORE comfortable.

But since i have a very sensitive head - even the K-702 are too much already. Pressure is only good if i have a Headphone with Silk Cushion and/or very soft fill material, but i found NO Studio Reference Headphone which offers this. My small AKG K540 fits perfectly and feels very good. But its Hifi only and its already damaged ā€¦

So, to everyone with a very sensitive Head: What Studio Headphones can you recommend? Half-closed, preferably Over Ear ā€¦ Does anyone have any Idea??

Grado RS-1 donā€™t feel like theres anything there, super light. amazing sound stage.
they are open air, but the sound is extremely tight and crisp.

DT 880 Proā€™s for me.

1 Like

Same here. Love them.

1 Like

Coming from a pair of sr60iā€™s, the high end was definitely a bit potent, but I must say - Iā€™ve always been rather pleased with how headphone mixes on them have translated elsewhere. Some really honest cans impo, and comfy as all get out, to boot. =)

I really mixed a lot with headphones (the DT 880 pro) because we had a small flat and I had my ā€œstudioā€ in our living roomā€¦ I checked the tracks on monitors before finishing, but I have to say, most of the time Iā€™m pretty satisfied with the headphone mix and donā€™t need to change too much. But I donā€™t claim to be a professional when it comes to mixing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same here - was stuck in a small apartment while attending school. Admittedly, there were a few times where I wasnā€™t able to get into the main studio before class to double check/ refine decisions, but (on more than one occasion) I was singled out for having a solid mix, so they get 5 stars from me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did anybody test the ISK HD9999 Headphones?

Whats your impession of it?

amzingly expensive and - not available in Germany ā€¦
But thanks for the tip!

Headphones are very personal.
We all have different head/ear sizes.
I can agree on that :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: Monitoring via headphones

Iā€™m using the MDR-7510 a lot, itā€™s pretty damn good. Slightly wider frequency range and flatter sound that the 7506. Both are very nice.

My semi-open headphone is a cheap one that performs remarkably well. Presonus HD7. I dare to say it performs as well as headphones that cost 5 times as much. The only thing you have to do is get some velour pads on them, I got AK240s on them.

Some people claim it a Superlux 681 but it sounds totally different. Though no doubt the HD7 is also made by Superlux. For 30 euro you canā€™t go wrong with it, and if you hate it you can give it to someone as a present.

Another happy DT-880 premium 250 ohm user, going on 5 years now, and sometimes wearing for six hours at a time. I just ordered a second pair here. The limited edition looks very nice:

Hi, are there any dt880 250ohm users using this directly from the octatrack outputs? How does it sound? Iā€™m on the fence about these headphones but donā€™t want to spend another 150 ā‚¬ on a headphone amp.

I use aiaiai TM1 studio, Senheiser HD25, Beyer Dynamic DT440 (the old ones which are much better!) but by far the best I have are Ergo model 2, which are a newer version of Jecklin floats.

If someone has an EQ profile for Fabfilter Pro Q, that would be totally awesome :slight_smile:

The DT880 250ohm are Pro Audio Reference Headphones, they have a certain response and if you have the time to learn that response you will find that your signal chain becomes more important. Remember the Octatrack is a sampler, that is what goes in is whatā€™s coming out. You colour your sound the way you want it.

I just choose the DT 990 and i am very happy of the flat response ! Good choice !

Edit : Finally ā€¦ i dont like them because not enough bass

I have Shure SRH940ā€™s.

Good: Very precise and detailedā€¦

Bad: ā€¦ except for the low end. Very light on the bass. I canā€™t mix my low end on these - I turn it up way too much - so looking for other ones. I know my Genelec monitors are better for mixing the low end but Iā€™d like my headphones to not completely throw me off in that respect.

Also the headband becomes painful after a while (Iā€™m bald, no hair cushioning).