Favorite Headphones

Ok, I see!
I don’t know many closed headphones, although one pair i used to own was a Sony too. It wasn’t the 7510. I don’t remember the model (edit: MDRV500DJ), but they were unforgiving in the bass, too much of it and they would distort instantly, or throw mud at me, which I think is a good thing when referencing.

I’m using cheap Samson SR850 at the moment and looking at other open cans that aren’t as hyped in the high mids/treble, so I don’t have to apply corrective EQ when I use them (they are nicely flat apart from that psychoacoustic spike present in so many models). Let me know if you have any recommendations. :relaxed:

I love my hd999s, they are like studio monitors in your ear.

Phenomenal headphones - all others are sold now.

1 Like

nice price.

this may sound like a silly question … has anyone tried professional headphones in the ear-bud style? i believe there may be a couple of worthwhile brands out there usable in live situations.

edit - also, any recommendations regarding Sony 7510’s? I’m just reading the Syrobonkers interview and they were mentioned.

These HD 9999’s definitely got me interested for the price. Have you compared these by any chance to the beyerdynamic dt770’s or dt990s? I thought I had my mind made up about the Beyerdynamics but these cans look fantastic value. Do the 9999’s have flat response and good detail in the upper/lower regions (are they good for mixing/mastering purposes). Do you use these directly from the headphone outputs or do they benefit from an amp? (i guess not since they are 32 ohms), i’m planning to use directly from the octatrack outputs.

Don’t know really - to my ears they sound excellent and transparent with depth.
Some one in the studio said they were flat, and didn’t like them. beyerdynamic I’m not sure on, pretty sure isk has a clone of those.
I reckon they are pretty open and detailed.
Replaced the s hd25s.
Mine where on sale for 70 bucks, bargain.
Great for listening to full flavour flac tidal streaming also

2 Likes

isk website says they are also suitable to be used for live performance monitoring use… citing volume and entirely closed back headphone style.

i got the Beyerdynamic DT1990 PRO last week … falling in love with them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve got this one
Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro 250 ohms since 2 month to replace my hd 25

Whaow…

It’s more more expensive but for working it’s just amazing

1 Like

For me it’s Sennheiser hd 25

1 Like

Beyerdynamic DT1990 PRO and DT 1770 PRO are the best… you will never need to buy another one.

I had BD 880 pros and loved them but they broke after a few years. Currently using HD 25’s for general and AKG 712 for mixdown, but never quite gelled with the AKG’s.

Currently gassing on BD 1770 Pros as I want some closed back for mixing.

Is the price hike over the 770 justified though? No doubt they are great, but that great???

have the same cans, but disagree that the 650 is for listening, its THE cans for mixing IMHO

I too got the gas for the DT 1770 Pros and bought them this week. I’ve had my DT 770s for about 9 years…the dog had eaten the foam screens out of the ear cups a while ago, the velour ear pads were pretty much shot too, time to upgrade.

Punchy, punchy bass and sound stage and all that. So far I love them. They don’t get shrill at louder volumes like my DT 770s seem to do. I’m noticing a lot of definition in my favorite songs and whatnot. They do clamp a bit harder than the DT 770s - this is even in the specs - but I’ve used them for about 3-4 hours at a time and haven’t been annoyed. Closed earcup is a must for me, these seem to be some of the best on the market for any price.

-Sony 7510’s are worth checking out no joke!
-AiAiAi tma studio 1’s Not again unless they were free. Great looking and sounding but the headband broke faster than a wishbone on Thanksgiving. I felt ripped off. When I looked online it looks like this is a common problem.

Yeah, got them about 6 weeks ago. Agree with all that. The only negative and this is really minor is that they are heavy cans.

AKG K702. for me they sound good and are very comfortable. i never feel the need to put them away.

beyerdynamic dt 880

best headphones ever
very comfortable
very good sound

if i will loose mine, I will buy another one the same day (if I have the money, because it’s pretty expensive… 169 euro)

Alessandro MS-1 at home, good for couch monomachine/octatrack jams, and surprisingly good for mixing.
Etymotic hf5 with fiio a1 headphone amp, for nanoloop2 composition on public transport or out to lunch etc.

Beyer DT-770 Pros (80 ohm) here and I love them. Very detailed; they have fantastic bass and I can wear them for 12 hour sessions because they are so comfortable.

1 Like

I use 770PRO for my daily sessions and HD598 for reference.
Love them both. You can wear them the whole day. Super comfortable.

1 Like