Favorite Headphones

I think it’s very subjective because it’s the WORST to me Sony MDR7506 :joy:

3 Likes

I have been looking through the forum for some advice on headphones, and it seems the latest post was from 2015.

I am currently using Sure SH440. Reasonably good budget studio headphones, and they have served me well for about five years. They have seen a bit of travelling, and while technically still fine, wear & tear is starting to show. Plus, these headphones are not the most comfortable to wear - at least for me. I always end up with a couple of sore spots on my head after 30min…

What kind of headphones are you currently using? I am looking for something in the $100-$150 range, which more than satisfies my hobbyist-demands…

Thanks in advance!

I use the 7510…but I would use the 7506 otherwise

1 Like

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250 Ohm

6 Likes

or Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250 Ohm
I have both.

3 Likes

Read thread: Favorite Headphones

2 Likes

It’s pretty hard not to recommend Sennheiser’s HD25’s. Not the prettiest out there but they are bullet proof and deliver an amazingly neutral sound - so very handy for hobby studio use. I think Sennheiser has been superceding the range with the Momentum cans but there’s a reason the HD25’s are still widely used.

1 Like

See above.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far! Good to have a bit of variety as it will be tricky to find a specific one in any of the stores around here. With a list I might have a chance of actually testing one or two before buying.

I love HD25s but they’re better for DJing than producing IMO, the MDR7506 are about the same price and are better suited to mixing. The HD25s seem actively “punchy” to me, less neutral. And the MDR cups fit over the ear rather than press on it, which is more comfortable over a long session.

They are bulletproof but also uncomfortable,for,long periods (even short periods)

I think this is where we need to recommend trying before buying. I can wear mine for very long periods with no discomfort at all! Pretty much had them on the whole way over to Florida and back last summer for example.

i’m after a new pair to replace my hd25’s as i don’t find them comfortable over long periods, i’m mainly using them for mixing and late night production so i’ve narrowed it down:

akg k-712 pro, sennheiser hd650 or BD dt-880 pro’s

any thoughts/recommendations?

I hope I’m not derailing the thread here, but…

Does anyone have experience with the Beyerdynamic DT-1350 80 ohms? If so, do you find them to translate well to other environments / are they a good reference?

Cheers.

are you using the 80 ohm version?

Closed DJ headphones as the only mixing reference are probably not ideal.
Unless you expect your music to be heard on DJ headphones mostly.
On the other hand, the frequency response looks comparable to most other headphones (reasonably flat with a spike around 8khz), so you should get adequate results with that.

I totally get that. I actually used to be a full-time staff engineer at a recording studio here in Chicago for many years, so I have a lot of experience doing mix references in different environments.

I should elaborate on my post / question. I’m looking for a new pair of headphones to use while writing tracks. My studio space is a shared space, so sometimes I need to use closed headphones out of respect for my painter co-habitant. I’m looking for some good options that will give me as honest as possible translation of the sound as well as not needing a preamp. I want the ease of just referencing off of the Octatrack (which everything runs through). I hope that context helps you help me :sunglasses:

Cheers.

i use Sony MDR-7510 because aphex twin said he uses them… what a loser i am!

5 Likes

not sure how that makes you a loser, but ok!

curious tho, where did you read that? i’d love to check it out.

well its was here…

but seems some password is needed…

wait this workssz

http://takepillsdie.blogspot.de/2015/02/aphex-twin-syrobonkers-interview-part-1.html

2 Likes