Favorite Headphones

Samson SR850, 32 ohm. (Superlux hd681 clone). Open back design.
Cost: 50.-
Using them with an EQ dip of almost 6dB around 8khz, as they have a spike there, just like most phones. The EQ makes them more ‘flat’ than phones 5-10 times as expensive.

Save your money for speakers, IMO.
I try not to mix on phones, just cross reference with my speakers.

1 Like

From what i’ve hear Pro Headphones sound way better with a special headphones amplifier but i never had the chance to have money for it. And it also like a waste of money because i barely use a headphones i try to use as max as possible my Focal monitoring.

A headphone i really like is the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro because of the 4 curves switch, it let me have something relatively flat for mixing, something adjustable when watching a TV show and when i making music (not mixing) i feel more the sounds by getting some extra bass with another position. And it’s i think the only one to propose that.

Custom One Pro Photos

I also have an Ultrasone Pro 900 it’s fine but i have also by the past the Pro 2500 and that one is super magic in the stereo and feel reverb, pan etc… but everyone around you enjoy what you do and can be boring at some point because it’s semi-open (Pro 900 is closed)

Ultrasone Pro 2500 and 900

If i never be disapointed by Sennheiser HD25 for DJing purpose it i think one of the best for that. I think popularity for this one is relative to DJ who make also music production. Because my partner do everything with it under Ableton Live with is Macbook Pro and when i open his session on my Focal i usually have everything to reshape. (sometimes replace). The problem with HD25 is everything Sound good on it. But when you go thrusted monitors the mixing session you open is totally ruined. That’s my point of view on this one. So with all the time i loose on the session build with a HD25 ! i personally stay far away from this one … i don’t want to see a HD25 EVER !!!

1 Like

Someone have the chance to monitor through a SPL Phonitor (or another luxury headphones pro AMP) with a Pro headphones ? how is it about ?
Thanks if someone can describe and share this experience.

For dj-ing - Sennheiser hd 25 for sure, they are small and light, they have extraordinary sound isolation and the sound is very clear. You can use them in the studio also, but your ears might start to hurt after long periods of using them.

For Studio - use open back, they are better, something like AKG 701 or 702 is very good for their price. They are light and you don’t even feel you have them on.

1 Like

I’ve got a AKG 701 in the studio for many years now, I think they are the best. Never want to change. I like them even better then my monitors (maybe I need new monitors :grin: )

1 Like

Phonon SMB-02.

I already have monitors/speakers thanks, but I have a 2 year old and do a lot of music work at night. I mix on monitors but rely on the headphones much more for arrangement…

1 Like

HD25 are the best Headphones for DJing. Using them as studio headphones to adjust your mix is a very bad idea.

Go for some open ones with a flatten response curve. K701 as some guys wrote before is a very good example.

Here you can check responses before buying: http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements

2 Likes

Check out http://sonarworks.com

Basically you can use it to correct any decent headphone towards a flat response.

The free trial gave me a good look at frequency responses of various headphones, including the superlux, which is very close to the sr850. This enabled me to approximate my own EQ curves for when i am forced to work with headphones. And it reinforced my intuition that attenuating problematic frequencies on headphones is easy and effective, once you have a good measurement of their response.

1 Like

Hahaha please say that to my partner in music, i sick of it :slight_smile: thanks to confirmed ! that’s not my ears the problem just HIS HD25 haha

Here’s a screenshot from the sonarworks trial. After seeing this, I was content to attenuate the peak between 8khz and 10khz with an EQ Eight in ableton (or even the graphic eq in itunes when listening in there) and didn’t mess with the mids or bass. The sr850 now translate very well to my main monitors and many other systems.

2 Likes

While sonarworks can do a decent job with many headphones there are some situation where it wont help you. For example the HD25 response curve isn’t the same at higher levels. If you know them you know that they are very hard to overdrive, your ear probably wil overdrive first (120dB headroom), so when you for example start rising your bass, a proper headphone will overdrive on bases eventually, and you will realise you just gone too far. With the HD25 the low frequencies will accommodate making you think there isnt any problem there. This cant be fixed with sonarworks.
Also there are others things to considere regarding the quality, to reach 22K doesn’t means it will represent higher frequencies faithfully. The HD25 reaches 22k but the response there isn’t good, as result highs are harsh and unnatural. This can be solved in part with sonarworks, but when you reach the headphones physical limits there isn’t to much you can do, is like to try to represent a 30K signal on a 22K headphone. That’s why it worth to go for a headphone that reaches almost 40K like the K701, no matter human ear cant go over 20K, a headphone that reaches those higher frequencies will represent audible highs more precisely which results on a more natural and balanced sound.

2 Likes

Exactly!

2 Likes

Another vote for Beyerdynamic DT 770 just so comfortable and sounds great if a touch bassey. I tried my brothers Sennheiser HD 800 and wow those are really clear to listen through, I will get a pair eventually :slight_smile:

1 Like

HD 800 is great but is about 5 times the price asked. :wink:

Thanks so much @MichalHo, I appreciate the recommendation!

With the MDR recommendations, I’m surprised the Sennheiser HD280 Pro hasn’t been mentioned yet. I’ve been in TV for about 12 years and I always run into either the HD280 Pro or the MDRs for monitoring in the noisy environments for quality control.

I’m probably leaning towards the AKG K712…it’s the $500US price tag that kind of chokes me though. A friend of mine recommended Grado headphones but I prefer the circumaural over their design.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. Looks like I’ll be checking out the diff b/w the K701 and K712 to see if the divide is worth the extra cash.

Speaking of headphone amps, any recommendations for affordably priced ones? i tried some headphone amps at the local hifi shop one day, and the only headphone amp I liked, which appeared to actually improve the sonics of my test 'phones, was the Graham Slee Solo ultralinear. Been GASsing for one since, but it’s a hard sell for me because of the price :confounded:

1 Like

Anyone here compared Beyerdynamic DT880 & DT990 Premium models?

I got DT990 Premium Edition 250ohm, very good cans but I find out that high tones are little bit harsh… Considering to sell them and buy DT880 Premium.

Hey Proximus, I’ve been using the DT880 for well over ten years now and everyone that listens to audio through them always say that those are a very good pair of headphones and I always say why yes they are. Why, because they’re Beyerdynamics’ firstly but more importantly is that they’re semi-open pro-audio reference headphones designed for studio mixing and mastering. Where as the DT990 are open back headphones designed for analytic listening in controlled acoustic studio environments. The DT880 used in my situation matches it’s right application so they’re going to respond correctly. The Beyerdynamic DT PRO revisions are simply that, slight improvements in equalization but their application rule is still the same in the 250 ohms range.

2 Likes