Faderfox UC4 <3 Octatrack?

@NUoldNu My pleasure! Glad you got it rolling!

3 Likes

Someone sell me a UC4 plz

2 Likes

I got mine at juno for Ā£215. Obviously thatā€™s not cheap ut it is the cheapest Iā€™ve seen them for new.

1 Like

I got mine from Juno, too. Even shipping to the US, it was cheaper than I could find otherwise.

2 Likes

Hey, so I came across this project, which now seems to be dead, but thereā€™s one interesting thing in the description:

Anyone know if the UC4 could be programmed to do something similar? Would be an amazing workaround for the issue of volume jumps on part change.

Youā€™d need some kind of midi translator in-between the two. The UC4 only sends when you move something. It receives midi, when you adjust with the OT, but not when you switch banks. You have to send CC61 from the UC4 for the OT to send back audio track CC positions. Makes me want to check out a bomebox to see if itā€™s capable of the constant CC messages.

1 Like

Indeed, or even a custom thing. Apparently the one I linked is arduino-based. Thinking of getting in touch with the creator.

1 Like

Why not just map CC61 on a button on the UC4 and press it whenever youā€™ll need syncing? This may not be that comfortable, but it has the benefit of not trashing the midi connection with unnecessary CCs from the OT.

I do. Itā€™s quite convenient except for the case when you switch a part mid sequence. If youā€™ve adjusted track volume, and load another part, it will jump to the saved volume state in the part. You can be fast, but thereā€™s enough midi latency to cause a spike in some cases. This being said, I donā€™t write in parts in a way where this is a major issue for me. I just added for sake of discussion.

2 Likes

Thanking about picking up a UC 4 for the Octatrack and Ableton. Do the included scripts work with the latest version of Live? And are people still happy using the UC 4 with the OT or has something better come along?

http://faderfox.de/ec4.html

(Thanks for the heads up!)

2 Likes

They do nice hardware but the functionality of the encoders continues to be incredibly dull.
I still expect more than just inc/dec a midi cc value

If anyone does an encoder that allows me to specify a table of values to cycle through Iā€™ll buy itā€¦

2 Likes

the new electra one allows for thisā€¦

3 Likes

Just to confirm, the UC3 works out of the box when connected to the Octatrack and the controls mapped without having to use any kind of host in between (unlike the LaunchControl XL), right?

I think so - I have used FFox products before and all setup takes place on the unit (selecting midi channels).

The older ones had fixed midi ccā€™s so I definitely recommend reading the manual

But recent ones are likely to be configurable without a pc/Mac.

UC4/SC4 can be edited on the device, but I guess all of the later Faderfox controllers let you do that.

Hmm, just got myself an UC4ā€¦a little unimpressed. Somehow i was under the impression that the case was metal but itĀ“s actually plastic and its so light, that the case moves when using the crossfader. Bummer, might send it back to try a midi fighter twister.
Could anyone compare those?

1 Like

I Velcroā€™d mine to a surface. Sorted that right out. It sits next to a new launchpad mini and digitone, all the same length. Very pleasing.

1 Like

Is the UC4 useful for live purposes? I want to control the amp and fx levels of the midi-tracks. Does this also work in different banks?