FaderFox EC4

I haven’t uploaded the FW v2 script yet to see if it supports 16 macros but I did that with the previous FW and it shouldn’t be hard actually:

EDIT: just updated the script to the latest and in the Live 11 setup both Dev groups (groups 3 and 4) utilize 16 macros, so you can just update the script and it should work

1 Like

Anyone heard of when these will be available again? Most retailers have been out of stock for a while now.

I bought one directly from Mathias at Faderfox last year - contact details are on the Faderfox site

2 Likes

I’ve checked youtube and read the manual, but I can’t figure out whether the current firmware and Ableton script automatically shows abbreviations of the device macro names automatically on the EC4? Also, if you map something in Ableton, does the name show up on the device, or do you need to make your own set ups and write your own labels manually? Thanks for any insight.

Where do you live?

I’m in the US

Damn. :frowning: Moog Audio has them in stock in Canada but they don’t ship outside of Canada:

Nightlife Electronics, which does ship internationally, has them listed as ‘Sold Out’ which usually means they won’t be getting them anymore.

yeah thanks, I noticed that too. There are a couple on eBay but a bit overpriced. I’m going to email Faderfox directly to check on availability.

Hi, thomannmusic.com have them in stock, just now before posting. However I don’t know how many lurkers will order after my posting. :wink:

3 Likes

I got one earlier this week. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions on setting mappings up with Live? I’m not interested in controlling the volume or pan, does Live have a method to assign MIDI CC to “selected track”? Nuendo/Cubase has that function and it’s pretty sweet. So any track I select if I tap a button or move a knob I know it’ll be that channel’s EQ, etc. It’s very handy but I’m not sure if Ableton has a mapping scheme like that. I’ll hit the manual and see. It seems like you can do this - you can save default audio tracks…but assigning MIDI CC to a device would just mean any track’s macros would be linked to it, and that’s no good.

The EC4 and Nuendo/Cubase is terrific though! Mapped it as a remote across two Groups. First page will activate/deactivate 4 sends and control their levels, and also activate the 4 EQ bands, with the knobs controlling Q, Gain, Freq. The second Group controls everything in the Channel Strip.

not really for CC, it does work with Control Scripts but the one provided with EC4 has fixed 8 tracks mixer stuff and you can use the Dev(ice) group to control up to 16 macros of a selected device, so if you create an effects rack with 16 macros you’d be able to control that rack just by selecting it (currently by mouse or keyboard though).

you can potentially create your own Control Script, they are written in python and shouldn’t be too hard, but there’s no proper documentation available and I never could find one, would love to create some custom script for my EC4 too…

that’s amazing and why I took a good look at Cubase, these are super useful, the channel strip is something I want a lot in Live.

2 Likes

Do the parameter names of the 16 device macros show up as labels on the EC4 automatically?

nope, it’s a one way street, every encoder just corresponds with the macro number.
maybe Electra One can do that? not sure…

1 Like

No, but renaming using the web interface is easy, so there’s that. The display is actually much nicer than I was expecting, it only looks like a digital readout.

I took a little dive on the web for answers last night and found that folks have been asking for “selected track” implementation since at least 2007 on the Ableton forums. A little Python knowledge will go a long way, and for everybody else there’s Remotify.. Remotify lets you draw out your own designs and will modify it’s remote script with a click.

It works really well but also highlights one of the huge differences between the two DAWs. Cubase/Nuendo has so much customization. You can create Hotkeys, Key Commands and Macros to script pretty much any action to any button or key. For instance I have a lot of hotkeys assigned to my Elgato Streamdeck for simple stuff but I’ve also written a macro that will select all notes in a sequence, assign them random velocities and automatically mute any note below velocity=64. Don’t like the pattern? Hit the button again. An insanely useful tool for creating things on the fly.

Live shows you everything you can map on one screen, complete with feedback for MIDI CC and limiting the range. You can do it with Cubase, but not without 3-4 different windows needing something entered just so.

1 Like

For those interested, I just made a Max patch to change the names of the controls.
ec4_display.zip (5.5 KB)

12 Likes

Thank You! Been looking all over for someone in stock. Almost pulled the trigger on a used EC4 locally for $360. Thomann got me it for $350 including shipping to California! I gotta keep the site bookmarked as they always seem to have the best prices even being international.

I was almost tempted to buy 2 haha

2 Likes

Thank you very much for this!

1 Like

does this cheatsheet still apply with v2 firmware?

1 Like

the new FW is backwards compatible so it’s still valid but missing features like the push functions, new acceleration methods and some other stuff.

1 Like

When I find some time to finally update the firmware on my EC4, I’ll update the cheatsheet and post it here. But that might take a while.

2 Likes