FaderFox EC4

just got my EC4.

I’m simply midi mapping ableton parameters to groups in setup 1.

for some reason encoder 12 in group 8 won’t map to anything. the same encoder maps perfectly in other groups.

what would be the reason for this? remedy?

it’s a b-stock unit. might it already have something assigned on the EC4 or something? maybe I should wipe the EC4 n start again.

EDIT: I reset all setups but it’s still doing it. Just in group 8.

any ideas?

Hi, I would use the respective EC4 Editor (for FW 1.01 or FW 2.00 (links are on the EC 4 Homepage) and look whats in that Group / encoder.

1 Like

oh good call, I havent tried the editor.

yea weird, there’s nothing on it in the editor either.

Sorry for that “insulting” question: Did you transfer the sysex file from EC4 into the editor? If not the editor gui always seems to be empty…

yep. did it.
then imported the setup in question.

maybe something is mapped in ableton to that channel/cc? when you move the encoder do you see the midi activity orange square at the top right blinking? if it is, midi is working and it might be something with ableton mappings?
you can also check for the specific channel/cc in the Edit menu [Func+Enc8] and you can also change it from there, just press [Func+Enc8] again to save and exit.

cheers Alechko.

I can map that same parameter to other encoders fine. I checked for other mappings on it too.

OK, then I have no more ideas and would contact their support.

EDIT: I updated the FW on my EC4 from 1.01 to 2.00 recently and all settings / setups were preserved so a FW update might not help in your case.

thanks RM.

yea this is really weird. ableton receiving midi when I turn encoder 12. can’t map it to any parameter. it works & maps fine in every other group (just in group 8 it won’t map). all other encoders can map to the parameter I want 12 to map to.

I’ll contact support.

Thanks for the replies :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah it’s ableton thing, I’ve verified with my EC4 and same thing on odd numbered setups not just setup 1, the CC on group 8 encoder 12 sums up to CC 123 and that’s apparently not working in Live…

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=94666

what a weird thing to TIL…

2 Likes

yea my encoder 12 on group 8, setup 1 is cc123 too

ahha

1 Like

so what’s the vibes, use even setups?

I’ll read that thread now.

or just remap the CC on encoder where it’s on 123… that’s pretty much it :slight_smile:

1 Like

oh snap.

sorted. I’ll do that.

cheers, stellar detective work :beers:

1 Like

remapped on the EC4. working perfectly

beware cc123 folks :joy:

3 Likes

I missed that amazing news ! Crazy good update … thanks very much to the dev !

Do you know if there’s a hack to modify the live script to have a page with 16 macros instead of 8 macros + volumes. On the previous version I made my own custom script with control surface studio but it was quite a pain. If there’s a shorter route …

I think it’s criminal to put out a MIDI controller with knobs that take more than a single turn to send the full range of CC (128 steps) but that’s just me.

My PadKontrol has 32-step encoders that feel great but are so steppy as to be useless.

That said it appears that Faderfox must have updated the EC4 hardware as it currently states on the product page that they are 72 steps… a 2X jump

It seems like you can adjust this, per the manual, to be as fine or coarse as you’d like:

I have an EC4 on the way and I’m psyched to check it out.

2 Likes

Yes, you can adjust the knobs to turn at different rates. Fear not, as you can definitely adjust it so that it’ll go the full spectrum of midi values in one turn.
Once you get your head wrapped around the editing process, it’s really quick to make custom mappings. The editor helps a great deal to speed the process up, but can certainly be done without. You can also download the editor so you can use it offline.
I can also testify that the midi settings for 1010 Nano boxes are remembered after turning the Nano off. I recommend making a EC4 Template on the Nanos, much like you would a Digitakt one, so you don’t have to keep remapping everytime you use the Razzmatazz, or 1010’s other offerings.