FaderFox EC4

can we copy setups between files? Can we link any encoder ? Or only the next one?

Yes incredible and unexpected update!

At the moment I have no access to my EC4. So do old settings created using FW 1.01 still work under FW 2.00 or do we have to reprogram everything?

Iā€™ve backed up the current FW 1.01 state to a file then uploaded the FW 2.0 default into the EC4 and later on when importing from the backup file you can choose which setups/groups you want to load, so you can import only selected, the only thing I didnā€™t find how to do is how to place the import on a specific setup/groupā€¦

yes it should and Iā€™ve imported my Digitone setup into FW 2.0 without issues.

4 Likes

Excellent, finally saw these pop up again yesterday and ordered one, pretty great to see a major firmware update the very next day! Planning to have this permanently connected to one of my FH-2ā€™s USB ports to get easy access to all its great extra LFO/Turing machine/euclidean sequencer/clock divider functionality, now speculating on what fun stuff I could do with the push buttons.

1 Like

For those interested, hereā€™s the sysex documentation.
EC4 sysex documentation.zip (58.0 KB)

2 Likes
4 Likes

amazing, i was going to sit down and look at working on a script for bigwig tomorrow, will spend the time playing with this instead :slight_smile:

The script looks very flexible, is that the original FF script? I copied it to user libary in Abelton, but it didnt show up.

Any suggestions how to troubleshoot it? It should be extracted, or zip format?

It doesnā€™t go in the user library - you need to put the uncompressed folder into the midi remote scripts folder.

Itā€™s a hidden folder within the app package.

If you get lost, the instructions are in the manual / quick start guide

1 Like

Has anyone had any issues updating the fimware from version 1.01 to 2.00.

Neither can I download the file

from the faderfox website [Faderfox EC4], nor is it possible to update through the Faderfox EC4 Editor (Firmware 2.x) [Faderfox EC4 Editor (FW 2.x)]

no problem for me (you can only do it with Chrome though)

no issues as well, I would also suggest trying another usb cable/port as these things can cause issues

Ok, thank you, that solved the issue updating with the editor. The original cable must have a defect then.

2 Likes

I wasnā€™t able to download the file on chrome on mac eitherā€¦it worked on iOS chrome for some reason

1 Like

thereā€™s something about .syx files that triggers a security issue on mac, Iā€™ve downloaded it with Firefox and installed with the editor on Chrome, I guess Chrome is more strict with downloading some extensions.

3 Likes

just a heads up about the new push button functionality, unless I missed something thereā€™s no way to use toggle for two buttons simultaneously, if you for example toggle encoder 1 and then push encoder 2 - the first push will de-toggle encoder 1, then youā€™d have to push encoder 2 again to activate toggle.
I discovered that while setting up a group for rytm scenes, and I was also bummed out to discover that rytm scenes can be activated one at a time via midi, but also discovered that only one encoder can be toggled. same goes for momentary push, only one encoder can be momentary pushed, if you push another encoder it resets the previous one.

you can use simultaneous push/toggle, just make sure that same encoders donā€™t share same CC values!

That sucks. I wonder if itā€™s a bug or at least an unexpected use case, that hopefully will get fixed

Seems a bit shortsighted if itā€™s intended to work that way although I seem to recall that hardware limitations dictated that there was only one global push parameter or something. Maybe this is the best/only improvement possible?

I think itā€™s a limitation we should learn to live with, iirc Mathias was writing off this functionality completely citing limited hardware resources available, so I think the fact we got different messages per push is the best he could do, I think Iā€™ll write him an email just to make sure but imo itā€™s as good as it gets right now.

EDIT:
ok, I wrote Mathias and he promptly responded, seems like it was my bad experiment that got me all confused, the thing about rytm scenes is that they all share same CC message, just different values, thatā€™s why the toggles cancel each other out, once Iā€™ve tried setting different CC numbers all good and you can use simultanious push/toggle, now Iā€™m really happy about this thing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wonderful!

Thanks for taking the time to email him.

1 Like