Expressive E Osmose

Time to show those evil spuds what’s what!

1 Like

I imagine Continuum techniques to be a natural starting point. It’s not the same, but still.

No, it’s just too much money plus shipping and customs. The Osmose, aside from what we’re mainly getting it for, also looks like a far more practical device to have in the setup.

3 Likes

I love this, thanks for sharing.

Actually the only way of practicing for now…

… one of the very last (hypothetical) Abstrakt Avalons and a Hologram Microcosm.
I’ve been weak.
Got to sell some stuff now, I do want an Osmose in my life.

3 Likes

I’ve been getting into neo-soul piano stuff. I would probably practice neo-soul licks/riffs like this one, but experimenting with replacing grace notes with bends and whatever other ornamentations Osmose will allow.

2 Likes

I thought it was interesting to observe how Yamaha Super Articulation works. It’s amazing that they came up with all these workarounds to add expression to sampled instruments without aftertouch on the keyboard. They use an “articulation” button or a pedal mapped to the same function to trigger articulation effects. Articulation effects can also be mapped to velocity, mod wheel, velocity + mod wheel.

The above was the old 2010 Super Articulation stuff. The below shows how Super Articulation 2 works.

More ideas to steal for Osmose playing I guess.

1 Like

Wow this is exactly what I was needing! Thank you mate!

1 Like

I bought his NeoSoul exercises PDF (while on discount) and I feel it was worth the money.

At my current level of piano skill, they’re kind of a challenge but I do enjoy practicing them. My goal of being able to generate neo-soul riffs with my own hands, anytime I want, for sampling, appears to be within reach.

1 Like

Would love to check the real instrument out. But probably I won’t go.

3 Likes

If anyone does make it out, first-hand accounts would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Anyone at Superbooth/check this out yet?

1 Like

Haven’t watched yet:

4 Likes

Takeaways:

– No definite timelines. They are still fine-tuning a few things before mass production launch. They do have all the components they need, though.

– Even though there’s no deep editing from the synth itself, you can create six macros for control from it. The screen is a huge game-changer in preset selection for the EaganMatrix, trust me (based on my experience with the Continuumini).

– They added an arpeggiator, with a lot of control over how the arpeggio can be shaped by keyboard interactions (I think this was demoed some months ago).

– It still sounds great and looks a joy to play.

4 Likes

This arp thing… I am happy to be one of those that emphasized how “next level” adding this would make this synth, and that they finally decided to take a look at this. I am pretty sure some will program crazy things with this!
I’m hearing The Knife’s Silent Shout arpeggios in my head…

I couldn’t care less about the time they need to make this perfect. I want it perfect enough.

8 Likes

that size … I hope it’s the fish eye lense being used… gotta buy a new table.

DIMENSIONS 35.2" x 12.4" x 3.4" / 894 x 316 x 87.5 mm
WEIGHT 8.5 kg

(From the website)

Seems pretty comparable to other 49 key synth/controllers.

1 Like

6 macros … but only 4 are shown … I have to use the scroll knob to see macro 5, 6 … sux :astonished: 6 macro knobs would be better. They better be saveable as user presets!!

2 Likes

Yeah I was just trying to give him the classic “elevator answer”.

You’re in the elevator for a few seconds with a less technically minded (no offense) person and he asked you a question you need to answer while you’re both still in the elevator.

1 Like

Good observation!

Also, due to Continuum’s longer history, velocity and pressure response curves are probably more finely tuned for that playing surface, vs. the Osmose’s more traditional keyboard-oriented one.

I’m sure EE is working hard to ensure that the default velocity curve, pressure curve, etc. settings are reasonable for the widest possible range of users, but there’s bound be someone who likes to play harder or more delicately than the majority.

1 Like