Expressive E Osmose

I bought a beginner jazz piano course from Open Studio. The teacher said to listen to this Wynton Kelly solo, but we were all like “Dude, WTF is the solo??” because the course materials didn’t include any hint of where to find it.

Turned to be here, thanks to somebody posting a comment on that course in 2020. Not too hard to imagine some of the grace notes turning into bends on Osmose.

3 Likes

Another Video from Superbooth 2021:

1 Like

Well, I listened carefully with attention to that aspect, and I’m starting to think that it’s a sound design problem, probably when you have so many options to play with sound in so many ways, it’s really easy to get into “annoying zone”, so sound designers have to be really careful and try to predict all possible troubles in advance. The engine is quite complicated so it’s easy to lose the point.

In dis vid there’s almost no “ear pain” things, but still those sounds are a bit… hmmm… I can’t call them, pleasant or " extraterrestrialy beautiful"… they are a bit boring… of course the idea behind this vid was to show controller features and not the sounds, but still… If i close my eyes and listen to this vid I can imagine that someone without knowledge just installed basic music app on iphone and torture it : )

At the same time if I play this vid for example:

it immediately captures my attention - it sounds so “exotic”, “pleasant”, “alive”, “wow” etc…
So I think it’s just a sound design thing.

And NO! I don’t want to say that Osmose is a bad thing, not at all, and probably I would like to get one as soon as they are available. Just want to make sure that I really like not only what I see but also what I hear.

1 Like

Thats what i think too.
I really like what i’ve heard from the Continuum but the sound example coming from the Osmose are kinda harsh but not in a good way (digital clipping ?) Maybe its just some patchs where the dynamic are wrong and does not translate well on the Osmose … i dont know exactly why though.

Anyway im keeping my preorder but im not sure about the sound engine TBO.

2 Likes

Well, since it’s the same sound engine, whatever sounds great on the Continuums can also be made to sound great on Osmose.

In the Eaganmatrix Eurorack interview w/ Eagan, Eagan touches on having to retweak some patches even just going from full Continuum to ContinuuMini

Jukka quicker on the draw, lol

1 Like

Yeas… and I even not sure how to define them, clipping or “strange unpleasant resonances”, or wrong dynamic response (maybe a “midi compressor” can help ).

No, no reason to turn back, maybe just focus designers attention to this side.

I’m sure playing technique and vision of musician play a big role in this also. It’s very responsive and do not forgive “mistakes”.

I’m guessing EaganMatrix inside Continuum is controlled by actual force readings from the playing surface - no intermediate translation to MIDI involved.

Osmose might have a similar situation - no mapping of keyboard actions to MIDI but rather direct force readings to EaganMatrix. The force readings are unlikely to be the same because of the lever principle(s) - you have fingers transmitting force through levers instead of contact on fabric sitting on top of rods, which is the Continuum design.

With MIDI as part of the controller to engine mapping, you have more standardized response from controller to controller.

1 Like

Yet another case for getting them both!

2 Likes

what‘s the argument? That old dude playing two instruments at once? 🥸

2 Likes

Definitely would be very interesting having a segmented playing surface available for one hand and a continuous surface for the other.

They seemed to be more or less chillin’ on the Osmose while allowing their Continuum hand to do a majority of the performing. I guess that would be the way to go more often than not though. I’m interested in hearing opinions about this…

I’m right handed and I would definitely want the Osmose available to my left hand since I assume that the Continuum would require much more focus and fine control.

Anyway, for that reason - I would have to assume that a ContinuuMini may be the neatest way of “expanding” the Osmose!

1 Like

yeah, polyglide on the Continuum while whatever on the Osmose.

I’ve considered the mini, but its reduced functionality and less nifty playing surface compared to a full-size make it less interesting than other stuff I already have. My only impediment with a full-blown Continuum, though, is the price.

1 Like

Rethinking my comment upon reading yours. You bring up an excellent point regarding the difference in playing surface of the Mini vs a full-sized Continuum. Okay, we need both.

Or due to my space limitation; I could use a MiniOsmose to go with a full-blown Continuum. :wink:

how about an OsmoseStep, in partnership with Arturia…

Wait for the Bontinuum…You know it’s coming ! :rofl:

Finally got around to watching the Slim Continuum demo/review.

Yes, there is another Loopop video that is closely related, but this one was posted in 2021, whereas the other video mentioned was in 2018 and thus may have out of date info.

The EaganMatrix editor does not look that scary to use. The Formula stuff might be confusing but that’s about it.

He auditions some oscillators which is cool. I initially misread them as “BigMouth”, “BigQuad”, etc. but actually the g is a q. He doesn’t explain much about each type of oscillator, other than stating that HarMan utilizes samples. But at least you get some general idea of what results to expect from each type.

EDIT: He mentions a tool may be released in the future for loading user samples into memory

this video clearly shows that one needs 3 devices.
1 osmose, 1 continuum + another continuum as a stand for the first one.

2 Likes
1 Like

It’s still 1799€ here in France… for a french product, or at least a product developed in France and produced overseas. But I guess you have to add taxes on the US price.

1 Like