Expressive E Osmose

Was directed to this thread on Expressive E’s similar-looking forum:

“Osmose prototype uses à triple DSP board”

Our man Cuckoo:
"The early prototype I was using had the Continuum PCB hooked up externally for the time being. They were still waiting for the slightly customised PCB slated for the Osmose. The laptop was just for controlling the patches and the EaganMatrix. "

Anckorage (Expressive E engineer?):
“The onboard knob+screen will allow a lot of configuration like le max pitch deviation on “X” but also the minimum depression of a key to triger a sound (it can really start from the very first touch). Mostly everything you can tune from my SpringSound IOS App will be accessible plus some dedicated paramater of the Osmose (controler behaviour, etc.)”

“Yes I’m involved in hte development (Eagan Matrix programming, sound design, link with Expressive E …)”

2 Likes

Jumped back and forth on if I should get this but early bird type pricing schemes always seem to have a negative effect on me… I think it is partially because I rarely jump in during the early bird part and then I am never willing to pay the increased price. This does seem like a really fun product though I just doubt I will use it in my current music. I guess I might get one in 5 years or so once I can get it used at earlybird cost after seeing it live out in the world. :sweat_smile: I will probably be jealous of everyone who ordered one once you get them though!

2 Likes

Does anybody know if the EaganMatrix Engine includes emulation of electric pianos? Rhodes / Wurly like

Otherwise I assume it will be possible to DIY?

Couldn’t find a patch list
Is there a way to try out the Engine without a continuum/osmose?

To be clear polyexpression.com is an independent forum for all electronic expressive controllers and instruments , it’s completely independent of any manufacturer including expressive-e.

3 Likes

Eagan Matrix is dsp based, you could try to download the editor for mac or pc but I doubt you won’t be able to make any sound out of it, if it lets you make anything without being hooked to a continuum…

Christophe Duquesne ’ s springsound ipad app is probably the closest you could find…

Regarding, emulating rhodes or piano I’m pretty sure it 's achievable with the onboard tools.
I suppose you do not see them in demos because they tend to demonstrate the most impressive/different sounds.
Rhodes emulation are not the main selling point here.
( Even if a good rhodes emulationcould be a selling point for me ! :slight_smile: )

1 Like

That would be a good question to ask the company. The guy in the video said that new presets are under development. It would make sense there would be some focus on presets that pro keyboard players would want since that’s the market they’re trying to attract with Osmose - we used to call them “bread and butter” sounds - piano, organ, strings, etc.

I’ve heard some Rhodes-like sounds on some of the demos. I’m guessing if the synth is as flexible as advertised, taming the timbres to more conventional emulations, particularly Rhodes, should be possible though might still be somewhat different.

As a smokey broken-key, dirty action, vintage fender suitcase fan, i’m happier with an unconventional Rhodes flavour, rather than pristine Lionel Richie/Luther Vandross/Bette Midler 80s electric piano cheese.

2 Likes

Phew.
I almost pulled the trigger on this one. What saved me was that I thought the early bird offer would be available until 31st December, so I would have some time to think about it. Now, I would feel stupid paying 120 euro more. In hindsight this is a good thing, because whether or not the osmose is useful to me is strongly dependent on how it feels playing it. This is impossible to do at the moment and highly subjective, so it is hard to tell by the opinions of other people playing it. If there is a 40% discount if you buy it without trying you should be at least 60% sure that you will like playing the thing based on videos you find on the internet to not effectively loose money. In my experience, if I like something based on videos there is at least a 50% chance that I don’t like it when trying it out in the shop. It’s probably even worse for the things which depend on how they subjectively feel using them.

2 Likes

Therapy post ? :rofl:

Just joking , no offense meant. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes. You know, I realized that I never really wanted it anyways. And now that it has gotten more expensive within a few days I would be really upset about why I didn’t order it right away. Luckily, there are plenty of good reasons why I don’t actually need it.

2 Likes

As a fair second hand price for most near-new gear is around the ~20% mark, at 33% off there is still room to have a flutter. :santa:t3:

While there are a number of organ patches (with one or two ‘traditional’ organ sounds in there), there are only a couple of ‘tine’ sounds, and none of them are trying to sound too much like the real thing - probably because the Continuum surface isn’t terribly suited to traditional keyboard sounds.

However, it wouldn’t be that hard to make such a patch and I can’t imagine such a patch won’t manifest by the time the Osmose is released.

Yeah I think it will be interesting to see what Epiano sounds come out of it… I think for many musicians (probably not the ones in this forum) this is going to be a total preset box akin to the DX7. I wonder if there will be a new classic epiano sound that we hear on all over music if this does well enough. A lot of the demo sound remind me of D50 sounds. I also wonder for the keyboardists that dont plan to program it, if the presets will stand up in non cinematic work, it seems like the perfect thing to score a movie with in a studio. I suppose if it gets enough interest from live musicians we will probably see a full 88 key version soon.

4 Likes

If it’s anything like the Continuum, users will be able to mould and shape presets just by performing, so each performer will be able to put their own stamp on a sound without ever getting into the patching.

Currently, there are a wide variety of sounds in the EaganMatrix, ranging from the simplest waveforms to wildly complex sonic landscapes. It’s not just limited to cinematic stuff, though it is very, very good at that kind of thing. I often plumb it through the Analog Heat and use it as an ersatz electric guitar (my favorite patch for this is not actually a guitar at all, but a cimbalom patch).

That said, the EaganMatrix is my go-to for exotic, pseudo-acoustic sounds.

3 Likes

I noticed that in the pictures of the future design of the Osmose, there will be a pitchbend slider and a mod slider. So my guess is they’re not zero state live controls like usual pitchbend and mod, but more a kind of adjustment settings to set the sensitivity you want to transmit to the sound. Therefore I guess it would be possible to have more straightforward “piano” sounds that don’t evolve too much through the hand gestures. I think it would be a clever feature to make the Osmose very versatile.

That sounds totally reasonable. I kinda scratched my head when I saw that pitch bend control.

I would love to see the Madrona Labs VSTs used with something like the Osmose. Although it does seem similar to what the EaganMatrix is trying to accomplish on it’s own.

2 Likes

I think this could work out really well with a SOMA Pulsar-23.

Thanks for the link,
I’m also in the Preorder Club, the second chance that is.

Just want to quote what Haken themselves write about Osmose on the website.

## EAGANMATRIX FORMULAS INCORPORATE Y (FRONT-TO-BACK) POSITION OF FINGERS ON THE CONTINUUM PLAYING SURFACE; IS THERE A COUNTERPART ON THE OSMOSE KEYBOARD? +

The Osmose provides Y information in a very different way. As soon as you begin pressing down a key, the Osmose continually tracks key position (Z) until you hit an initial “stop” at max Z. Then, if you press more, you get a different feel, and you are moving in the Y direction. The EaganMatrix preset can utilize the detailed contour of your initial attack (many Z values, not just a single 7-bit key velocity or “strike” value), and then utilize Y to affect details of the decaying timbre. This is just one example of how the Osmose Y and Z can be used in an EaganMarix preset. By making the Y feel so different from Z (before and after that “stop” point) Expressive E has successfully made fine Z and Y control feel quite natural to keyboard players, without interfering with traditional keyboard technique.

## HOW IS THE EAGANMATRIX DIFFERENT ON THE OSMOSE KEYBOARD? +

In the acoustic world, a piano has advantages over a violin for playing more notes more quickly more accurately – and it has the disadvantage of losing fluidity and free-tuning. In the EaganMatrix world, you will hear the difference between an Osmose keyboard and a Continuum, despite the EaganMatrix sound engine being identical.

Some of Lippold Haken’s favorite Theremin recordings are Theremin with Piano – the differences in the instruments make for such beauty together. He is looking forward to the next ContinuuCon (in Lisbon) – it will include duets between Continuum and Osmose, and he thinks those performances will have a similar beauty.

## IF I PLAY THE SAME EAGANMATRIX PRESET ON AN OSMOSE KEYBOARD AND A CONTINUUM FINGERBOARD, WILL IT SOUND THE SAME? +

To anyone with listening skills developed from playing non-keyboard instruments, the “pitch rounding” that happens at every note on a keyboard makes it sound totally unlike a Continuum. Even if you use the same preset, the physical interface with which you interact with that preset is paramount. Much of what makes the Continuum sound so unique among synthesizers (and meld with acoustic ensembles so well) is that the performer is always trying to play perfectly in-tune, but can never actually achieve perfect intonation. This differs from a keyboard in two ways: (1) In one sense, a keyboard is always perfectly in-tune at the beginning of a note, since the lever you hit determines the beginning pitch. (2) In another sense, a keyboard is always out-of-tune, since it cannot play perfect intervals. In the last 100 years people have gotten used to the equal tempered scale, but it is a bit like getting used to fast food – the real thing still has appeal. In the real thing, you are not picking from a set of predefined pitches for each note; instead, each note is its own event, adjusted by the performer to what is going on at the time. The advantages of a keyboard come at a cost; the Continuum and Osmose do not replace each other, they complement each other.

3 Likes

The EagenMatrix allows for different scales and tunings. :smiley:

4 Likes