Expressive E Osmose

That sound engine is really excellent.

I’m still swithering whether it’s right for me. All these droney/physical type sounds aren’t really my thing regardless of how amazing they sound! Hoping for more videos over next month or two.

just pure love

8 Likes

I hope they make a black UI for the Eagen Matrix (I already asked the support about this and they’re looking into it - seemed like they have their own devs to customize it for their product). Also I really hope that MIDI mapping the MPE+ features will be easy i.e. with the Digitone.

@J0n35y maybe start with doing some ambient styles …switch to movie scores

1 Like

For people who missed the first pre-order offer, there’s a new one at 33% off the retail price.

Can’t wait for playing on it!

3 Likes

Nice to see the really high level of interest in this; should give Expressive E plenty of financial firepower to do a great job.

I wonder will we see them eventually licensing the tech to other manufacturers to integrate into their hardware.

Delivery in Fall ! Glad I’m (presumably) in the first batch !

2 Likes

we’ll see if that’s a good thing or not :stuck_out_tongue:

I have faith ! Haken and Eagan are involved, can’t imagine they let out something half baked with their name on it ! ( not that expressive will neither !)

I’ll temper the wait with a continnum half ! This Osmose is a curse to me, made me discover the Eagan Matrix…Now several of my synths are on sale…Yes, self discipline…Sort of…

:smiley:

2 Likes

The Eagan Matrix looks really amazing !
Im watching of bunch of videos right now about how to program the Matrix.
I think its a really good move since more peoples are going to be familiar with the Eagan Matrix.

1 Like

Quote from Eagan himself : “Not sure I’m allowed to say. What I can say is the EE folks are amazing at mechanical design, which is the biggest nut to crack in this expressive keyboard venture.”

2 Likes

Aaaaand I pre-ordered… 33% still feels like a good deal…

3 Likes

The sound engine is the same Eagan Matrix engine used in Continuum, so just search for Continuum videos, demos, etc. and see if you find anything that appeals to you.

Unless what you really want is a Moog…

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you can emulate/approach more/conventional moog type of sounds with the Eagan Matrix…You’ll probably miss a legendary filter or two… :slight_smile:

What differentiate classic synth sounds, we are accomodated to from more realistic seems somewhat pretty thin.
I had a “wow” moment while I was watching a recent video of Christophe Duquesne presenting the continuum at modularsquare.
He just started a patch from scratch and added just one sine oscillator.
By just adding (sort of) key pressure to the patch instead of a classic enveloppe, he went from one of the most bas(s)ic synth sound to something already really close to an acoustic wind instrument…
No filter or fancy triple detunned oscillators…
Just a single sinewave oscillator and only pressure modulating the amp.
I just realised how we are actually prisonners of the amp enveoppe on classic synths…And how this amp enveloppe draws a line between synthetic and acoustic feeling…

6 Likes

Nick and the Expressive E guy in the latest video referred to what you’re talking about as “traditional synth” sound.

I guess the unique keyboard is what’s drawing everybody to the Osmose and overriding concerns about whether one can get the beloved synth tones of yesteryear - sorry jon35y if my guess about your taste in synths is in correct.

I agree that having those extra dimensions of control over the envelope is quite a game-changer.

1 Like

You’re pretty much on the money. I’m not really interested in making droney warbly music or with achieving accoustic level vibes for percussive/flutes/etc but I have been very interested in MPE instruments over the years.

I get why Expressive E are pushing this heavily in their videos though as these are the sort of sounds that most easily demonstrate the keyboards capabilities. But for me, I’m more interested in the thought of hooking this up to Omnisphere (or something like that) and getting in to things.

I’ll need to go digging the synth engine videos. In its own way, the videos largely replicate the sort of experience you get with Elektron gear with it “four to the floor techno or forget it” initial experience. Im sure there are plenty of videos out there that I’d find interesting.

In any case, I have months to work this through and to make a final decision. I have owned the Touche and used that with synth sounds so I know what could be possible with Osmose which is driving the excitement for wanting to hear “traditional synth” sounds set up through the various dimensions offered.

For the specific target market, this thing is a genuine game changer though and I can appreciate why many are beyond excited for it.

3 Likes

yeah, this is an important aspect of expressive controllers generally…
you will be surprised how good relatively simple sounds can be when you get more direct control.
(conversely, you can muddy things up if your not careful :wink: )

many factors to this, but I believe its down to a few (related) aspects
continuous control, high resolution, poly independence
the sound is continually changing because your holding the touch, and moving ever so slightly , which is being picked up due to high resolution… so the sound is always evolving , then when you add multiple touches they are also slightly different.

with traditional keyboards we try to ‘fake’ this movement, with envelopes, lfos and random elements - we try to inject back the ‘life’ , that we lost due to not capturing out ‘input’ with sufficient ‘finesse’

that’s not dismissing keyboards, percussive, non-continuous sounds are very cool too… my favourite instrument is a piano… which needs none of this,
but its great to have options… (esp. in some ‘genres’ of music)

7 Likes

Ironically I think this advanced keyboard is going to enable quasi-musical noodlers like myself sound like near virtuoso players - as we milk every last emotion out of each note, even moreso than folks who are already skilled keyboardists., we’ll eventually bend that off-note up or down to match the scale!

Musical Theory is just a theory after all, once you can bend and wobble every finger tip! :partying_face:

4 Likes

Wise words Brother M,
I was unfortunately born with a rare case of Bunglitus ( or the hands of Bungle to the less medical among us) and I hope the Osmose will enable me to finally have the phalanges of the Great Richard Clayderman.
I have buckled… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yep, those of us who do not specialize as keyboard instrumentalists will be the equivalent of the mystical blues player, bewitching listeners with but one slide on one string and a wail, compared to Yamashita shredding frantic symphonies on classical guitar. And I’d be totally ok with that.

1 Like