Accent on free update, suggesting there might be paid ones in the future - which is ok. The overlays will probably cost some bucks. In any case, some beautiful analog-modeled sounds.
I didn’t hear anything in this video introduction of Osmose 2.1 that suggested future software updates would cost money.
I love the Osmose as it is right now, it will be even better when I upgrade the Firmware to 2.1. Very happy with this purchase. Worth every penny.
Very excited for this! My studio has been boxed up for the party five months and I’m on the cusp of setting it all up again. Really looking forward to trying out all these new features.
I appreciate the update, but I’m disappointed that it still does not deliver a recall of Osmose’s current state (external MIDI settings). This would make it way more useful as MPE controller for other instruments, and I know that this is a common feature request.
Yes I was looking for that also, but anyways even as they say that don’t use Midi port 1 for VST or external gear I use Port 2 without any problem for more than a year. With the editor I made some empty presets that use Velocity if I needed or other setting like pitch range and that way you can set your sensitivity settings and all you need. For non MPE yes I use port 1 with a basic configuration.
It is a small speculation on my part because I find it a bit unusual that Chris opens the video with “We have just published the free 2.1 update.”
Towards the end, Chris says “Instead of the single complex editor, we will be introducing a suite of specialised editors”. I can imagine that the suggested software editors, which would seem to live outside of the Osmose (another speculation), may not come for free. Another potential for paid products: preset banks.
Naturally, all this does not suggest that future Osmose system updates would not be free.
No, I see the special editors like machines on an elektron device, each editor you choose on your Osmose is specialised to a type of sound, like he said Analog synths, woodwind etc.
Perhaps this sheds some light?
Mentions Loris Synth which is an that costs about $90. Loris Synth is not a part of EaganMatrix but a tool that converts samples into additive partials for loading into EaganMatrix - maybe Duquense should have named it Loris Tool or plain old Loris, leaving out the Synth part to avoid confusion.
Anyone upgrade the firmware to 2.1 yet? I am in the middle of upgrading it, and everything seemed fine, but now the upgrade app is stuck on “Retrieving Presets.” Nothing happening. it’s been a good little while. I think it is frozen.
Edit: I had to upgrade the firmware, presets and Haken Editor DSP manually. In case you have the same issue, here’s a troubleshooting page at EE: https://expressivee.happyfox.com/kb/article/292-i-don-t-have-any-presets-on-my-osmose-after-trying-to-update-to-firmware-2-0/
Not sure why I had the problem. Not great. Had to reboot the Osmose maybe 5 times to get it done. The Haken editor takes a long time, but at least this time there’s a status bar moving and each individual part of the upgrade did what it was supposed to do. Maybe it’s something weird with my system (M4 Mac Studio, MacOS 15.3).
I have run the process manually without any issues. The automatic procedure did not work for me, so I decided to go manual.
Several peeps on the Discord also reported issues with the update - being stuck at some stage of it or the other.
Haven’t done the update yet myself because I’m still trying to test out of Phase 1 of the piano chord mastery bootcamp that I joined a few weeks back.
I used the automatic mode. Worked fine until my mac rebooted (system update I forgot to dismiss). It was in the uploading of preset phase.
Computer reboot, restart update and everything went smooth after that though it took around 2h total.
Yeah, that was quite long and stressful for an update - lasted arlund 1h30 for me
Worked 2nd time for me, but yeh, very long, over an hour total.
Worked first time for me, but I did have time to leave the house and do some shopping while it was doing its thing.
I really like some of the new presets, but I did not spend that much time with it yet.
The most recently highlighted issue with the update is the lag between selecting a preset and its loading. The lag is noticeable but not an issue if you don’t use Osmose for live performance.
The new presets are certainly welcome, albeit relatively thin sounding imo. Perhaps I have to reload them onto the device to be sure that nothing went wrong during the update process.
I also got the impression that their expressivity is more limited compared to the factory presets. Nevertheless, the macros allow for some dramatic changes to the sounds in this expansion, so maybe it is all just a matter of tweaking them to taste.
The new effects are a significant improvement compared to the previous EM.
Got home from work and my internet was down so I did the update via hot spotting my iPhone, took a while as it kept disconnecting from time to time, at one point I had to manually restart the osmose as it was sat there doing nothing, after the restart it picked up from where it left off, the whole process was a good hour, but I won’t do it by hot spitting in the future ![]()
connect a cable for a more stable hotspot!
Damn… now I gotta undust my Osmose - I thought the update will come out - so it’s already out?? Really gotta put my studio back together faster ![]()
Update worked first time, some new presets sound great! Still an absolute joy to play and a great MPE controller. Looking forward to what Expressive E will bring for this instrument! And I really enjoy their MPE preset packs for VSTs as well!