The osmose has “tied” Y and Z axis due to the after touch nature of its keyboard in 2 steps, worth a try with your own mpe synth… Tried it, works wonders with the haken engine, but I found it too limited for my use with the Mpe plugins such as swam.
So cool!
Osmose owners. I want to know if it will fit into my keyboard shelf.
If anyone has a ruler handy, can you measure the height, from the bottom surface to the top of the black keys? Including any feet it might have>?
Website says 87.5 mm, but looking at the pics, that seems like it might not include the full height.
I would say 9 cm.
Thanks! That means it will fit easily.
Now to wait for one of their refurbished models.
Make sure to keep an eye on Alto Music. Around the holidays they were selling factory refurbished units for even less than Expressive E direct. At $1199 and with a full warranty, I could no longer resist.
Anyone who bought a refurb unit—how often more or less do they put them up for sale?
I somehow missed this deep dive by Josh Madoff at ContinuuCon. Better late than never.
Did not know about the input gain/wavefolder trick. Few other tricks I don’t recall seeing in other Osmose vids with Madoff.
His story about non-keyboardists like “Guillaume” who worked on the Dune OST made me smile. Several prospective Osmose customers felt good piano skills were required to use this thing, yet this Guillaume dude did the job he needed to do with his untrained approach to playing it.
Linked from here
Am I missing something or is it really hard to find new preset packs for the osmose?
The built in ones are fine. But from experience in other instruments, the manufacturer presets often don’t represent everything, or the best, that an instrument can do. And other minds with other objectives can often do differently if not better!
Sorry I don’t think I can cope with adapting things from other eaganm devices…
I have had one since launch and I havent come across many pro packs, I guess its a bit niche, not enough people with Osmose to make it worth while?
That said, there are now quite a few preset packs for VST instruments that are specifically for the Osmose and work out of the box, I am having a lot of fun with these.
You can import the ones from Continuum (before 10.4x firmware!!). They make a fine addition, without adaptation, even if they are not optimised for Osmose.
Furthermore, you can significantly tweak the Osmose’s factory presets with the macro knobs. One user on youtube has nicely demonstrated how far you can get with this approach and offered his personal selection of 128 tweaked sounds for free download.
Finally, if you own some external FX, eg reverb or delay, it’s a good idea to use them to add some warmth, when needed.
I have sifted through many presets and there is plenty of material to choose from. Obviously, with an architecture as open as the EM, it is practically impossible to show everything it can do. Nevertheless, the factory presets are significantly better and more playable than what you will find in most synths.
Few wants to get through the hassle of programing this thing ! Sexy as an excel spreadsheet !
Fortunately EE are working on a more user friendly interface to be able to get some sound design without firing the EM editor.
When ? Not tomorrow for sure…
In the meantime, tweak macros, play with arp and pressure glide…We can already go pretty far.
Thanks all.
I do love the device, so this isn’t a grumble: I’m honestly surprised they didn’t include the option to have it function as a generic and slightly more intelligible subtractive cs80 type synth. Alongside the depth of the Eagan stuff.
I guess they’re just very committed to it being the specific thing it is. Which is an enjoyable and admirable thing.
There is supposedly upcoming EaganMatrix DSP upgrade: new oscillator type, several new filter models and improved effects that include a new saturation processor and enhanced reverb algorithms.
There should be a new preset bank coming with the Eaganmatrix DSP upgrade to show off the new synthesis features.
Then after that there should be another Osmose update to to improve the UI for editing presets.
Exciting !
I already love the saturation in some of the presets…
Enabling compatibility with 10.4x EaganMatrix is the priority for EE, albeit with an unknown and uncertain release date. This update will also pave the way for the so-called overlays, which will offer a simplified and more rigid way to manipulate EM sounds.
Meanwhile, it is important not to try importing any 10.4x or later Continuum presets into Osmose. This limit includes sounds produced by Loris Synth.
Meanwhile I plan to try out Josh Madoff’s acouskop settings:
Josh Madoff
Here are my starting settings for this sound (acouskop):
excitation: 49
tone: 0
color: 0
brightness: 127
body: 127
drive: 00
analog echo: mix 23
pregain: 40
comp. amt: 79
comp. mix: 2
postgain: 64
press glide: 2st
Source: FB post but I think it can be viewed without FB membership/login
Nice ! ![]()
Arp bug is still present six months later though… ![]()
From changelog:
Firmware v2.1.21 30/04/2025
DSP
- Includes new EaganMatrix DSP version 10.52
- Fixed: Polyphony problems when transposing Osmose to the lowest and highest octaves
Presets
- Added: Sound expansion 01 with 80 new presets
- Fixed: Several factory sounds that were transposed by default
Presets menu
- Feature: Added remove preset function
- Feature: Added remove playlist function
- Fixed: Browsing issues when the same preset was added to a playlist multiple times
Synth menu
- Improved: Reworked all global fx algorithms for better sound quality
- Feature: Added new “long reverb” algorithm
- Feature: Added new “drive” output stage
Config menu
- Feature: Added remove preset function
- Fixed: Wrong CC assigned to mod slider in “mpe” config preset
Playing menus
- Feature: Added remove arpeggiator preset function
- Fixed: Notes still stuck in arpeggiator despite hold set to “off”
- Fixed: Arpeggiator issues when transposing octaves during playing
Other fixes
- Fixed: Corruption of DSP settings upon fast preset changes
- Fixed: Receiving Program Changes causing freeze and reboot
- Fixed: Audio clicks when changing presets and/or the global fx algorithm