Expressive E Osmose

Stll loving mine too. The expression it puts at your fingertips is unlike anything else I’ve played - even the Arturia PB’s full touch doesn’t satisfy after getting used to the Osmose. One day I would love to see the Osmose keyboard combined with a simpler synth engine/UI such as a Jupiter 8 or Super 6. What an instrument that would make!

1 Like

I mean if Elektron made DNK II with an MPE keyboard like the Osmose I would totally freak out.

The nuances you can get by assigning FM MOD, operator harmonics and wavefolding parameters to the macros are astonishing. I am still working on how to map the pressure and the envelopes, at the moment I am totally skipping the envelope and have assigned the pressure directly to the volume to be able to do the super-expressive-slow-attacks the Osmose is capable of, but I think that the pad-to-pluck sensitivity could be replicated.

Also, guys, the MPE arpeggiator is incredible to control external synths, you get each note with a different timbre/nuance and the sensitivity allows you to trigger volume-less notes that act as pauses. And it has the HOLD function I desperetely wanted on the DN.

4 Likes

Would be very interested to hear and have some details of your patches ! Did not used it as a controller for DN yet, but the idea is quite seducing ! :heart_eyes:

I would LOVE an MPE mode for DNII…

1 Like

This is so inspiring, I thought it worth repeating. :grinning:

1 Like

I am still in the process of figuring out how to map all the modulations, especially pressure.
Maybe this could deserve its own thread if there are other people trying to work with osmose + elektron devices (or DN2 specifically, since the 16 channel/voices lend themeselves to be used deeply with the osmose).

For example, as soon as you plug osmose on DN you have to figure out how the three modes (mpe, multichannel and mono) work and which is better. You also have to think how to handle the 16 different channels.

Also, there is a lot to be said about the behaviour of pressure/velocity and aftertouch on DN vs Osmose.

2 Likes

Bought one through the Black Friday discount, super excited :exploding_head:

Im located in Europe - Norway - Anybody care to share their experience regarding ETD when ordering from Expressive E? I’ve ordered on Friday and I still only have “information transferred to shipper” on the order section of their website :confused:

It won’t take 4 years in any case anymore.

2 Likes

It will definitely feel like a hundred :grimacing:

1 Like

Question for Osmose enthusiasts. I am untrained in music theory, but every time I open Ableton I find myself playing a pad or piano for a while, with the scale mode on my launchkey. It’s very therapeutic for me for some reason. The Osmose seems like a proper instrument, but feels a bit wasted on me as an untrained hobbyist. Anyone else that plays it just by ear? Still finding it expressive enough to warrant the price?

1 Like

Each preset in Osmose must be seen as a whole instrument. And for each instrument, it’s up to the player to discover or simply find how it can be played.
You’ll probably find a lot of sounds that match your way of playing.

2 Likes

I don’t really play sheet music on my Osmose if that’s what you’re really asking.

Whatever I learn off of sheet music, I do it on another keyboard, such as a digital piano, first. If I do play the same thing on the Osmose later, it’s after I’d already memorized it, and thus am playing by ear.

I also improvise on the Osmose on occasion. Ear training does inform my improvisation.

1 Like
5 Likes

For this price you can also get a Linnstrument 128 and a Haken Audio micro, a combo which is pretty excessive and more portable, albeit more limited in other ways. Up to you to choose what you’d like to go for :wink:

Yeah I saw this and it feels amazing to hear them talk about it in this context.

Yeah, but then you might as well get a push 3 right? I mean even without any training i never gelled with playing keys on pads, but I get your point for sure. Will check the Linnstrument out.

I reckon the little Roli block M is a decent choice for just droning away … I do it all the time. The expressive space per key/pad is much greater than the push 3 for example , although of course the push 3 has more keys/pads

1 Like

Even if the push 3 pads are a huge upgrade over the previous version, it’s nowhere as expressive - especially pressure wise - as a roli seaboard, an osmose etc.
For a lesser budget I would recommend waiting for the first erae II reviews, or going for a seaboard block M.
Got the rise 2 at 929€ here during the last days of BF at roli, can’t wait to try it out !
The osmose b stock is a good bargainalso , units are really like new.
Cheers !

1 Like

Yeah, played them for a bit and found them stiff and a bit awkward to move up and down a pad.

I’ll check Roli out as well! Thanks

I am sure I’ve said this above or elsewhere, but I am not a trained musician or even really much of a keyboard player, so take this with a grain of salt, but I consider the Osmose the most expressive controller I’ve ever played around with. If you have one or get one, be sure to take the time to mess around with glide and various arpeggiator settings-truly amazing. Even just the distance in downward pressure for polyphonic expression by playing each note independently and at the same time is incredible. I also have a Push 3 and Linnstrument. I love both of those for what they are, but they don’t compare to the Osmose when it comes to the feel of the play.

1 Like