Erica Synths PĒRKONS HD-01

Not to mention taste.

iu-17

2 Likes

I’ve not been able to taste anything since I first did acid in the late 90’s.

5 Likes

Same since I got covid in the early 20’s.

Anyway back to the subject… is there any info about the digital part of the Perkons ? That sounds a lot like my LXR to me.

3 Likes

So does trance.

I never said making trance lacked skill, I just think it should go fuck itself.

8 Likes

I don’t mean in general but it was the impression I got when watching all these SB demos which were pretty much the same style. Much more is possible with the Perkons, I’m sure.

I dunno, having spent the best part of the last 5 years trying out various drum machine/distortion combos, having a drum machine that does 90% of the sound I’m after (plus has send/return per voice) seems like a really good idea. Whether or not it does other kinds of sounds doesn’t really interest me, as it means I can have 90% of the tools I need to make the music I want all in one box, so I don’t have to lug around five or six boxes to achieve the sound I’m after.

It’s clear to me that Erica Synths have designed this to be a solution for makers of harder styles of techno, it’d be a shame if they were to water that down by trying to appeal to people wanting to make lo-fi chill beats or whatever.

I mean, it’s got more overdrives than it has voices, a master compressor and it’s named after the God of thunder. If that’s not a bit of a clue as to what it’s going to sound like, I don’t know what is.

19 Likes

Good point Fin25. I do like overdriven drums and noisy beats myself and I’d still love to try the Perkons and see what kinds of beats and sounds would come out in more lofi chill genres. But the LXR-02 does serve me well in this regard.

1 Like

It sounds like a over priced moog dfam… drum synth.

1 Like

You would need 4 DFAMs (4 sequencers), so technically it’s cheaper. I already have 2 DFAMs and considered getting 2 more recently until this showed up. Should do great for the type of music I am looking for. Similar to @Fin25

4 Likes

This sequencer seems so much fun to play with…

1 Like

Yeah, sometimes I like something with a narrow range if the tradeoff is great sound and playability.

There’s so much out there i just don’t gel with.

1 Like

The thing that makes me look at this beast is the 4rows sequencer. This makes it a live tool. So nice :star_struck: makes me dream.

But my opinion about the Perkons sound is that this box seems to be stuck in one narrow sound palette.
So i would like to ear other demos before make my mind.
I play techno with my AR mk1, this kind of harsh techno. But i now that i can makes other kind of sounds, very easily. So that makes me think that AR it’s a better drum machine, since i don’t have listen to other demo/type of sound with Perkons… ans i don’t mentioned the samples :shushing_face:

2 Likes

I think it will be able to make a range of different styles… remember when the dfam came out and YouTube was flooding with industrial techno? I have and love the dfam and rarely use it for anything industrial… it’s all about the target audience and Erica are smart cause they want to capture the electronic artists who want to perform their drums live like an instrument… if I ever get cash or fancy selling most of all my gear I will consider it for sure…

4 Likes

The DFAM is a good example and I feel the same way. From the majority of the YT demos you’d think it was just a half-bar industrial riff machine, when it’s actually deeper than that.

I totally understand why these pre-release demos of the Perkons are very on the nose, but I’m sure we’ll see more sides of it once it’s out and a wider demographic starts twisting knobs.

Like with the DFAM I’m intrigued by the “spirit” of the Perkons, even if most of the sounds I’m hearing are not the ones I would make myself.

8 Likes

I reckon we just need to wait for different kinds of artists to get their hands on it and to twist it in unexpected ways. Even pure noise can be made ambient in the right hands. And those individual outs make it open to all kinds of sounds via FX.

4 Likes

So I LOVE the concept of this thing, all that potential power in one playable box… but I haven’t heard anything in these demos yet that sounds better than, say, a couple of DFAMs. Or having the solid low end of a Jomox Mbase or Rytm kick. It will need to compete with those sonically to live up to that price tag.
But if it can… wow.

2 Likes

Girts and Kodek showing off, the drone at the start is pretty decent.

The overhead camera gives a bit of a clue as to how much beef this thing has.

10 Likes

it’s super nice to have 4 sequencer lanes.

4 Likes

Yeah, every step of every track visible all the time, fucking great idea.

3 Likes