Elk-Herd 3.0

Hi all - sorry for the isolation induced absence… Not that I’m isolating from you, just life got… well, weird!

When the device is in Overbridge mode, indeed elk-herd can’t send back. I don’t know why, since it worked with much older versions of Overbridge 2.0 beta - but stopped working several months ago. I hope to eventually work this one out with Elektron, but until then, yeah, you’ve got to put the device in normal USB midi mode.

I will try out Overbridge 2.0 release this week (I still haven’t loaded it… I have no use for Overbridge in my music workflow!)

That said, I see two problems that seem to happen for a small number of users:

1. The sending is slow, and never completes.
  2. The sending completes, but the sample pool is messed up.

I suspect these are the same issue - and probably have to do with MIDI communications to the Digitkakt being interrupted by, er, something? I haven’t been able to repro these conditions here.

If you are having these problems, please message me directly with the details of your set up - computer OS, digitakt OS, how they are connected together, other music software that is running when this happens, etc… I’m not sure what I’m looking for in particular - but I’m trying to find out what is common in these cases. Thanks!

Peace, stay safe, keep making music.

8 Likes

Hey,

why can’t I import (fetch) projects? is it due to the firmware version (current 1.11)?

Steven

Thanks for this. I’m one of the people experiencing this problem. I’ll shoot you a message with my details as soon as possible, probably this weekend. :pray:

Hey,
thanks for making this. I hope this is the correct way to ask for help and/or report a bug.
My setup:
Linux PC + Chromium. Analog Rytm MK1 connected via usb. If the Rytm is set to overbridge mode, elk-herd does not detect it at all. If I set it it to “USB midi-only” then elk-herd can find it under “MIDI devices”. Elk then probes for a few seconds and then says “no compatible device found”.

any chance for a version for the digitone?

5 Likes

I love what you’ve done with this. Amazing work.

1 Like

Elk herd is great, and there’s one feature that I am wondering about… let me see if I can clearly outline it here…

• Let’s say I have a project loaded into Elk Herd.
  • I can see all my patterns, samples, and the contents of my Sound Pool/Track Sounds
  • I can move patterns and samples around, copy/paste, etc.

Is there a way to manage/add sounds in my Sound Pool using Elk Herd?

Before anyone freaks out… yes, I realize this is not just a matter of moving a Sample into the Sound Pool (which you can’t do anyway) because a Sound needs to have the additional parameters that make it unique. Unless I export a given Sound (a manual process), I can’t later move it into the Sound Pool or use it as a Plock.

It would seem to me that this could be possible with Elk Herd. Just want to make sure I’m not missing the feature in the 3.0 build if it’s there. So in other words… I’m looking for something that eliminates the manual process of exporting sounds to new file names only to re-import them into the Sound Pool.

1 Like

Incredible work!
Thank You!

1 Like

// add

Online version is working, offline is not.

Fedora 32, Brave browser, model:samples

// add02

Your online version is working with Brave/Chromium, offline is working with Chrome only. Thanks again.

1 Like

Oooo jealous…anything on the horizon for the A4 please? (Elektron come on this is a must-have feature surely!)

2 Likes

Hey @mzero, not sure if it’s already been reported and/or fixed but just wanted to report that if I have sounds loaded to a project and I rearrange the samples using elk-heard then the samples assigned to the sounds get messed up, wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Cheers

No - I haven’t heard of that happening, and it shouldn’t. By samples assigned to sounds, I’m assuming you mean the sounds in the sound pool for the project. Every sound in the pool should refer to a sample in the sample pool… and if you rearrange those, elk-herd is supposed to update the sounds in the sound pool to follow where their samples move in the sample pool.

If this is not working - please direct message me with details about your set up - and if you are willing, copies of the project before and after you rearranged the sample pool.

1 Like

I just found out about Digitakt OS 1.20.

There are a few changes that look like they altered the stored data for the patterns… I can’t tell yet if it is backward compatible (likely), or if elk-herd needs to change to support them (possible).

Sadly, I didn’t get a beta or a heads up, and so didn’t have time to make sure that elk-herd would work at release of this OS version. I’m in the middle of several other projects, and may not be able to get to this for a week or two.

16 Likes

Super lame that you didn’t get access or a note.

I tested it, and it works to browse and work with the samples in the +Drive. I can send, move, add folders, etc. Drag and drop of samples from the desktop works.

It hangs when I try to fetch a project though. The “Fetching project from Digitakt …” dialog appears, but nothing else happens. The only way out is to reload the page.

1 Like

confirmed. hangs when fetching project for me also.

Hi, sorry I have a newb issue. I can view the + drive after initial scan but can’t fetch any projects. The status bar appears but is stuck

Any ideas? I have Catalina 10.15.5, Digital running 1.2, MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

1 Like

Read two and three posts above yours for the answer.

2 Likes

Same here. Just to confirm, fetching project is not possible anymore.

Hey mzero,

Im new to elk herd and Digitakt and have a Problem with fetching projects. First, is it normal that Elkherd doesn’t show stock samples? I made some projects from the stock samples without adding any samples and in elk herd there where no samples shown.
And second but more important, when I want to fetch a project the loading screen appears but nothing happens. I tried turning Digitakt on and of and I definitely saved the projects.
Cheers fo your help.

Update: Im using OS 1.20 so this might be the issue, I just read the answers above.

Hi,

As per the quoted post, if you’re using the latest Digitakt OS, we have to give the author some time to update Elk-Herd.

This is such a beautiful prject, so helpful!

3 Likes