Elk-Herd 3.0

You should just unpack the tar file - giving you a directory named elk-herd. You can move that directory where you like, but leave everything in it. Then open index.html in your browser as a file. That is open it directly, don’t serve it (or any of the other files) from your local server.

Chrome will not allow WebMIDI from http:// urls - but will allow it from file://, with the downside that it will ask you to approve WebMIDI each time you load it.

1 Like

Thank you. The problem is due to me using the de-googled build of Chromium instead of Chrome. It lacks some options that need to be enabled before the localstorage stuff works. There was an error accessing localstorage in the console/inspector which (according to Chromium docs) is related to 3rd party cookies but that setting is missing in my build. Self hositng works though.

So I ended up creating a self signed cert and imported it into the keychain, self hosintg now works. Hosting on localhost would be even easier as Chrome/Chromium has an option to allow ‘unsafe’ certs on localhost. As for dragging the file in, I think that only works with vanilla Chrome and Chromium builds. Not the ones with Google stuff removed.

Verry happy to be able to run it without internet access, I keep my music computer offline on purpose. Things works great, wanna keep it that way. Auto-update is a pain to keep track on and less distractions too :sweat_smile:

tl;dr don’t be me and just use normal Chrome/Chromium builds and you won’t have any issues.

Image: Lan hosted

A quick update; just set up elk-herd on localhost with lighttpd and it works with simple http.

It would’ve been easier to just use Google’s Chrome but how boring would it be to go the easy way. I’m really attached to my Google-free Chromium, great browser but all the privacy invasion is not my style. So anyone like me, if you can’t run elk-herd in your Chrome/Chromium build due to missing parts, install lighttpd or some other light web server and host it on localhost and open it up. The default install works great, no php or other stuff needed and nothing in Chromium had to be changed.

Image: Localhost hosted

Managing the chaos that happens inside my Takt couldn’t be more straighforward with elk-herd. Especially with the new 3.0 enhanchments. Really digging the in andexport options. Elektron should give you 5% of their 2019 revenue as you’ve made life easier for a lot of us :cb::3lektron:

Very well coded @mzero :beer: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Oh
My
God.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi!
Might be a silly question. Does this work with analog rtym MK2 as well?

The sample management functions work on Analog RYTM. There isn’t support yet for projects.

4 Likes

Thats okay. thank you for making this software available :slight_smile:

1 Like

@mzero, Thank you thank you, and yes, thank you some more, we are blessed to have you around.

1 Like

Can this tell me how much free space is left on my +Drive? (Rytm Mk 1)

No - it can’t. Later versions of the OS on Digitakt can (Settings > System > Storage). Perhaps lastest OS on Rhytm Mk 1 added it, too?

1 Like

Apologies in advance if there is some kind of user error involved.

I’m using a Digitakt with the latest OB beta OS and the latest Mac OS, and Elk Herd didn’t work properly for me.

It fetches projects, but does not send when Digitakt is in OB mode.

When I changed to midi over USB mode, it fetches and sends, but the project gets all messed up in the process. When I play back the project it sounds like totally random samples are playing back (or perhaps it lost all of my sample markers, and other data). Anyway, it almost sounds like a completely different project.

Thankfully I didn’t lose anything because I just reloaded the same project from the +drive without saving the one in RAM.

I downloaded the offline version and unpacked it but when I open the index I get a blank screen. Do I need to do anything to make it see whatever files it needs to see?

Make sure all the files stay together as they were unpacked. Open the file in Chrome, don’t serve it from a local server.

When I unpack the tgz there is a tar file that I unpacked. Do i leave that packed and open it in chrome?

I seem to be still getting the same problem I described above.

@mzero

Can I confirm one thing?

If you remove the unused samples from the sample pool in Elk Herd and compact the items. When you send the project back to the DT it should remain that way, correct?

I still get the issue of not being able to send to DT in USB Overbridge mode (fetching is OK).

If I turn off the DT and restart Elk Herd in USB midi mode, I can fetch and send projects. When the project is sent to the DT, I notice that the pattern has been successfully renamed, but the Sample Pool does not match the compacted Sample Pool on Elk Herd.

Also in one project, the project was totally messed up when returned to the DT. It sounded nothing like the original. I’m guessing it lost all of my sample markers as I was sequencing snippets of long samples with lots of trig locks, etc. In that particular project, I think I maxed out the available number of trig locks.

I don’t have my DAW open or Overbridge. The only thing I don’t know how to check is whether Overbridge Engine is running in the background without me knowing it. I did restart my computer, so I’m assuming it is not running.

I know other people are having no issues, but my problem is repeatable. I get the same issue every time I use it.

Hi!

i am using a Digitakt and want to use the tool ‘Elk-herd’ to backup my projects and send them (if necessary) back to my Digitakt.

When I test it out, I can easily fetch and import projects, but I can’t send them back to my Digitakt. There is a loading bar that finishes on my computer screen but on my Digitakt nothing happens. Also: After I try to do this, the connection between the Digitakt and Elk-herd gets corrupted and I need to restart the Digitakt to get a new connection.

My problem is really similar to this:

Does anyone have any clue what I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Kris

Try changing to USB midi in stead of overbridge mode in the digitakt usb config settings. And make sure midi in and out are both set to USB in midi settings on the DT.

I had the same issue when using the OB mode. I switched to the midi over USB setting and that fixed the issue you described, but it still doesn’t work correctly for me. Perhaps Elk Herd doesn’t play well with the latest OB beta OS? It’s either that or it doesn’t like something about my projects (which use very long samples, lots of trigs, etc).

Hi Dave. Thanks for helping!

Your suggestion worked: I now can send projects back to my Digitakt. But unfortunately, I have the same problem as DimensionsTomorrow: When I send the projects via elk-herd back to my Digitakt, the different sound/samples don’t sound the same. It gets mixed up or something, I don’t know how to describe it.

It would be disappointing if I can’t get this to work. If I can’t refresh my samples/sounds without losing all my projects, then that would take a lot of fun of this really nice product. I am a starting techno producer and I have to learn which sounds to use. I want to keep my workflow flexible (and fun).

Anyone have another idea?

Thanks in advance!

Kris from Amsterdam

1 Like

will this amazing software be available for analog boxes as well? I am referring to the project/pattern management features

1 Like

Is this working for you after updating to the latest Overbridge 2.0(stable release)?
The new driver seems to not play well with elk-herd.

Was working perfectly before, great work @mzero!

Btw, is the code on github or something? I’m a JS dev working from home during this weird times and maybe I could help if you need it because I have some spare time.

3 Likes