Elk-Herd 3.0

OK, seriously. For my DT (v1.30B), this tool is my go-to. But I have my DN (v1.32A) sitting right next to it that I need the same exact thing. Iā€™m only using Elk-Herd for samples management. Is the lack of a device to test with the only thing (other than wanting more to life) holding Mzero back? Cuz clearly thereā€™s already tons of beer to go around. Earth to Mzero, Earth to Mzero, come in Mzero.

1 Like

I swear i will chip in to buy @mzero a DN if thats what it takes.

Iā€™m playing DT/DN livesets about 1x/month and having to manually copy paste DN patterns if I want to change my setlist is ā€¦ well itā€™s not fast:) Being able to do both in my browser would add up to a huge savings in both time and finger-judo

1 Like

Iā€™m right there with you. I already did a little CL search for Digitone in SF area. If someone told me I had to pay a little money for this software to have the functionality for all my Elektron devices (except my friggin Octatrack, that makes me sad), I would have paid in a second. So, @mzero just needs to say the word!

1 Like

I also extracted one dtproj file and examined the contents. Iā€™m also interested in helping any reverse engineering efforts.

One idea I thought of was it would be nice to convert digitakt project files to renoise project files, or mod files, and vice versa maybe?
Both are sample based and ā€œparam locksā€ are simply pattern effects!

Thanks @Zbieracky, just saved me some stress.

1 Like

No problem. Take care :wink:

1 Like

Same here. Iā€™ll even add some money for a Syntakt, too.

Iā€™m a brand new digitakt user, Iā€™ve managed to load samples unto the digitakt from elk-herd (linux/chromium, but fetching project makes it stall, at least the progress bar is not moving and after a few minutes I run out of patience.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

NB: I increased the midi input- and output buffer size to 65536, as proposedā€¦

Are you using the beta link posted elsewhere in this thread?
Outside of that, I feel like I perhaps had this issue on my linux/chromium setup, but itā€™s been a whileā€¦ (I use a windows PC now).

This is almost my default response to every question in this thread. I think I could type it in with my eyes closed.

Itā€™s either ā€˜use beta linkā€™ or ā€˜ check usb /midi settings ā€˜

Though to be fair it shouldnā€™t be such a bizarre trial and error situation for some of this stuff ā€¦ a consequence of allowing clever tech I guess.

Will check tomorrow, I donā€™t think I was using the betaā€¦

Right on, I was running the non-beta, everything seems to be working great with the beta. Thanks!

An idea for @mzero maybe: since elk-herd seems to recognize the firmware version of the connected digitakt already, it would be nice if users were notified and redirected if they were on the wrong version of elk-herd.

beta version working brilliantly for me, BIG UP elk herd developer ! this is such a crucial and awesome bit of software.

curious if thereā€™s currently a way to run beta version offline as well ? i tried just swapping out main.js copied from the beta page but that didnā€™t work. often working without an internet connection so it would be cool to have access to this offline.

huge thanks for elk herd regardless !

Helloā€¦just wondering about Elk Herd. Is it any good and what are users experiences of it?
G.

Yes
Itā€™s free
It does things transfer doesnā€™t.
Why not ask on main thread instead of making new one ?
Did you try the beta link .

3 Likes

I tried it recently, it definitely works as described

1 Like

Elk Herd is amazing. Elektron should have released a tool like this basically.

6 Likes

I find it surprising that Elektron doesnā€™t publish documentation about the sysex formats of its various boxes. So many Elektron users are programmersā€¦lowering the barrier for entry into creating add-ons would open up an entirely new dimension for the user community to create free value for them.

My job has me working a ton with 3D CAD software, and I work mostly with Rhino. McNeel, the company that creates Rhino, makes a big push to enable users to extend Rhino through its API, and uses a discourse forum like this one to encourage the sharing of solutions and extensions for expanding its capabilities. Such an approach seems so consistent with Elektronā€™s clear approach to continuous improvement (see the endless updates to firmware across its product line), I admit to being baffled by their hesitation to share even basic structural information about how data is stored on their machines. I suppose itā€™s possible theyā€™re worried that it will expose fundamental approaches to how their machines operate, but projects like Elk-Herd, which rely on the genius of ambitious users to reverse engineer the sysex format, demonstrate just how much value can be added by the community.

5 Likes

Elk-Herd saves my life cause i use a chromebook, just disapointed we can just drag & drop the samples for the m:s

+1 elektron could support the community a lot better releasing sysex and file template (OT) APIs.