Elk-Herd 3.0

Are you using the beta link posted elsewhere in this thread?
Outside of that, I feel like I perhaps had this issue on my linux/chromium setup, but it’s been a while… (I use a windows PC now).

This is almost my default response to every question in this thread. I think I could type it in with my eyes closed.

It’s either ‘use beta link’ or ‘ check usb /midi settings ‘

Though to be fair it shouldn’t be such a bizarre trial and error situation for some of this stuff … a consequence of allowing clever tech I guess.

Will check tomorrow, I don’t think I was using the beta…

Right on, I was running the non-beta, everything seems to be working great with the beta. Thanks!

An idea for @mzero maybe: since elk-herd seems to recognize the firmware version of the connected digitakt already, it would be nice if users were notified and redirected if they were on the wrong version of elk-herd.

beta version working brilliantly for me, BIG UP elk herd developer ! this is such a crucial and awesome bit of software.

curious if there’s currently a way to run beta version offline as well ? i tried just swapping out main.js copied from the beta page but that didn’t work. often working without an internet connection so it would be cool to have access to this offline.

huge thanks for elk herd regardless !

Hello…just wondering about Elk Herd. Is it any good and what are users experiences of it?
G.

Yes
It’s free
It does things transfer doesn’t.
Why not ask on main thread instead of making new one ?
Did you try the beta link .

3 Likes

I tried it recently, it definitely works as described

1 Like

Elk Herd is amazing. Elektron should have released a tool like this basically.

6 Likes

I find it surprising that Elektron doesn’t publish documentation about the sysex formats of its various boxes. So many Elektron users are programmers…lowering the barrier for entry into creating add-ons would open up an entirely new dimension for the user community to create free value for them.

My job has me working a ton with 3D CAD software, and I work mostly with Rhino. McNeel, the company that creates Rhino, makes a big push to enable users to extend Rhino through its API, and uses a discourse forum like this one to encourage the sharing of solutions and extensions for expanding its capabilities. Such an approach seems so consistent with Elektron’s clear approach to continuous improvement (see the endless updates to firmware across its product line), I admit to being baffled by their hesitation to share even basic structural information about how data is stored on their machines. I suppose it’s possible they’re worried that it will expose fundamental approaches to how their machines operate, but projects like Elk-Herd, which rely on the genius of ambitious users to reverse engineer the sysex format, demonstrate just how much value can be added by the community.

5 Likes

Elk-Herd saves my life cause i use a chromebook, just disapointed we can just drag & drop the samples for the m:s

+1 elektron could support the community a lot better releasing sysex and file template (OT) APIs.

Hi guys,

HUGE thank you to the legend mzero for this tool. Noob here so apologies if this is a stupid question.

Is there a way to transfer patterns between projects without transferring samples / sounds?

I spent ages organising my samples for my live set and the sample pool in the live set project is now full. When I try to import patterns from other projects it tells me I cant do it because the Im trying to import more samples than will fit.

Thanks so much for any help you guys can offer.

This is rad, thanks @mzero

First of all: A HUGE thank you Mister @mzero for this magnificent tool. Saved my life after one year producing total jam-chaos on the DT.

Now, is there any chance you plan on updating elk-herd for the syntakt? I’d love to be able to reorganize my patterns on there the same convenient way you empowered us for the the DT!

2 Likes

I tried it, but it wouldn’t fetch the project.

-I did unplug/plug, restarted Chorme.
-I tried on all usb config (overbridge, usb midi, auio/midi)
-transfer app is not opened
-do I have to wait a long time for it to fetch?

Can anyone help? Anyways, still appreciating that this exist, thanks!

I ran into the same problem trying out for the first time this morning. Reading up-thread, I found crunch/elk-herd . The DT 1.30 firmware update broke the original, but the beta version works for me with DT 1.30B firmware.

2 Likes

on almost every page someone should post ‘the beta link’…

try the beta link.

*** if you have a problem.try the beta link**

2 Likes

Thanks, it worked! Yeah, didn’t check the thread haha.

1 Like

Would it be possible to run this on iOS with a NAS sample library? Hoping this is possible somehow. Total game changer!