Whoa :astonished: :clap:

2 Likes

Did somebody say deadline?!

So many good entries, helped spur me on to get something in:

Main sample is @DimensionsTomorrow Hereton Salvanini
Couple of hihats from @woops Purdie
Percussion from @jamesstiff BBC
Then added drums and FX.
Used an MPC One for pretty much everything and an SP404SX for some filters and compression. (I got a Digitakt recently but am still learning it!)

12 Likes

Dope! Its indeed crazy we both chose the same piece of sample out of all the stuff posted here haha… yours sounds way different though, I like the bounce you gave it.

1 Like

@Boxymusic you should reconsider your choice of genre as youre pretty good at this hiphop stuff…! I really like the way you got the piano to sound.

@maisin dope track! I like the off beat drums and the sample chops!

@DimensionsTomorrow this could help… I personally don’t mind that much because we managed to keep the samples and beat submissions pretty much separated. If more people would prefer a separate thread I’m all for it though. What do others think? We should keep your idea in mind for the next one either way!

4 Likes

Maybe too much work at this point. Perhaps, for future battles if people prefer it, as you said.

1 Like

Making a new thread for voting in the last open battle seemed to work quite well :slight_smile:

I’m open either way. Lots more activity and entries in this battle than the one posted

Thanks! I wish I had a genre to quit - I’m always struggling to decide what to make! Know any good rappers?

Thanks !! Can’t wait for the next battle to add more craziness in the mix !

1 Like

Had a lot less time than I thought so I´m not super happy with my result but better than nothing I guess? No mixing and very little arrangement due to time issues but anywho, here it goes:

I used the MPC Live as originally intended mostly because I haven´t used it in quite a while and felt bad for it collecting dust. Even thought about selling it but when I used it again I remembered why I got it in the first place.
I also used the Gladys Knight & The Pips sample and added the Romeo & Juliet theme. The rest is from my sample library within the MPC and for the bassline I tried the included plugin. I have quite some catching up to do and listen to most of the submissions.

At least some spam account already commented on it :smiley:

11 Likes

I would tend towards @DimensionsTomorrow 's proposition of a separate thread for votes.

I waited for everybody to upload their track so i could make a single post with my Top 3, the honorable mentions and all the comments i can make.
That way i can make better parallels about how the same sample was used etc.

So, if all the tracks are in the same thread, i guess it will be easier for future readers to navigate between votes/comments and the tracks.

2 Likes

Voice sample: Diane Ackerman reads “We Are Listening”

Samples from

Drums from

• DJ Shadow - You Can’t Go Home Again
  • DJ Shadow - Right Thing

All sampled and performed on the OT.

12 Likes

It’s now Monday morning here in Amsterdam, and I guess the deadline has passed for most of us (except for the ones lucky enough to be living in Honolulu). A lot of awesome beats have been posted here (I think about 20), and I look forward to listening to all of them!

As suggested by @DimensionsTomorrow and some others, I’ll start a separate thread for the voting and feedback. I’ll put all of the submissions in the opening post, but, as suggested by @LyingDalai it would also be cool to make a playlist out of all of our tracks! If everyone agrees with this idea we should figure out a way to collect all tracks onto a single platform… What do you guys think?

I’ll share a link to the voting thread in a bit, and I suggest we’ll continue there :wink:

2 Likes

@woops @garfield your soundcloud links can’t be shared, so I can’t post your tracks in another thread… can you share the link?

I see you have it - great work in organising this! Great effort!

2 Likes

@Boxymusic No yours is fine!

@LyingDalai could you temporarily disable the new thread while we wait for @woops and @garfield? Missing their songs would give them an disadvantage…

1 Like

I tried y’all. Completed the task, but ran into issues at the end with recording and posting my iPhone video (too large?). I’ll catch y’all on the next one! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

You could copy the link directly to their forum entries as a stopgap?

1 Like

Thanks to @LyingDalai everything works now! You guys are welcome to listen, vote and post feedback in this thread:

1 Like

@Sleepyhead Thanks for doing all this, and apologies for creating extra work for you at the end!

2 Likes

No problem at all, its better now because of it!

1 Like