Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #7 - The War on Christmas edition

Thanks ! Buggy AF but i just proces samples thru it and 4 that purpose its more than ok :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just listened to this a couple of times, very dope track! I love how the drums form a solid foundation and the rest feels very alive and unpredictable in a way. Very inspiring just like your entry in the last battle!

1 Like

Itā€™s awfully quiet hereā€¦ either everyone is busy celebrating christmas or @Synuā€™s great track scared everyone off :thinking:

Or, third option, some really amazing tracks are being brewedā€¦

6 Likes

itā€™s been slow going over here between work, family/holiday stuff, and generally not being motivated to do anything these days. my first pass has some interesting stuff in it but is not obviously holiday themed. it may end up being my entry, but we shall see.

i hope all of you are well and canā€™t wait to hear what you all cook up.

6 Likes

I had finals week and then a lot of holiday things, so I only got to start working on Sunday. Finally found the right chop, but Iā€™ve gotta figure out how to incorporate the other sample sources. Canā€™t wait to be absolutely smoked in this next roundšŸ˜‚

Merry Christmas!

4 Likes

Hereā€™s ā€œChristmas(times are tough)ā€ a little melancholic entry for the battle.

First time doing a lo-fi hip hop style so it was a welcomed challenge. Samples from all three videos, only got some dialog clips from the long one. I used DN as my instrument. Hope that is alright? Produced everything else in the DT and then recorded it out to cassette with a little finishing touches in Audacity.

Merry Christmas all! :christmas_tree:

10 Likes

Daaaaang, holidays, ya know?
Iā€™ve sat on this beat for a few days already and my allotted pool of ā€˜free timeā€™ between now and the deadline is already a negative valueā€¦ so Iā€™m calling it ā€˜doneā€™ (for now). Kudos to anyone who submits, even if itā€™s just a minute of a stunted idea (like mine!).
I used the intro drum phrase from the Lou Rawls song and a few vocal snippets from the 1950ā€™s tv video but the main sample flip is from 18:15 into the David frost / billy Taylor album. Drums were summoned from the secret drum pool of goodness. I tossed it all together with the help of the Koala Sampler and Aum on an ipadā€¦ā€¦and thatā€™s that.
As always, its been a fun ride and I canā€™t wait to hear what everyone cooks up.

16 Likes

Well done all who have submitted so far. I have used this opportunity to learn my MPC Live a bit more and have put together a few sequences. Iā€™m going to be away for a few days but when I return the final product will be unleased. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

So this uses ā€œThe Christmas Songā€ on the David Frost record. Mostly the part at the end but there are a few other bits.

Iā€™ve also got the drums on the beginning of the Lou Rawls song at the beginning, along with some of his vocals toward the end.

The only thing I took from the compilation of shows was that bit with Lucille Ball buying a Christmas tree. Something about asking for a smaller one this year kind of felt right.

19 Likes

So sick! Loved this. That little tom fill was perfection.

2 Likes

Yup
Drums are coming from XLN Addictive drums and itā€™s the only external sound source/instrument besides required samples.
Iā€™ve used Arturiaā€™s Mello Tape free vst quite heavily .
All done in Ableton.

13 Likes

Hello everyone.

Hereā€™s mine, I used all three tracks and also my own drum selection with a bass tone as the outside instrument.
ā€¦ā€¦All sampled and sequenced in Digitakt then recorded out from the master and maximised

14 Likes

I am DONE!

I used samples from all three sources and drums which I made for this challenge from combining bits and bobs from my own library. I didnā€™t end up recording anything into it performed by myself - I had intended to throw some guitar in there but Iā€™m not a fan of guitar played over sampled hip-hopā€¦ However the rule said we are ā€˜allowedā€™ to use one instrument rather than it being a requirement so thatā€™s my excuse.

The track was created in an MPC Live with five sequences, which were then exported into Ableton Live for further sequencing, edits, mixing and processing with iZotope and FabFilter plugins among others.

Enjoy!

12 Likes

Bangerā€¦:metal:

3 Likes

Damn thereā€™s a lot of heat here! I have some favourites so far already.

I decided to use this battle to try out my new sp 404 mk2, so this right here is one of the first beats I made on something other than the ARmkII in the last year. The track is made using the resample method on the 404, using bits from the 3 samples and some of my own drumsounds, no external instrument was used.

Please forgive my extensive use of the spā€™s corny dj looper effect. Itā€™s played out as hell, but some parts of the track sounded sloppy as shit without it, so it was mainly an attempt to mask that haha.

16 Likes

Couldnā€™t submit anything myself, but it is awesome to hear all your stuff!

2 Likes

Eyo! Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals! :santa:

It took me a bit to get going on this one, but once I found the chop it was smooth sailing from there.

The main chop is from the Lou Rawls track, bits and bobs were used from the Frost/Taylor album, (not always in an obvious way Iā€™ll admit), and 2 dialog snippets from the Christmas movies. Drum samples were courtesy of The Kount (thank you @rockpapergoat for putting me onto his samples :upside_down_face:), and the external instrument was a MPC kick drum synth plugin that I used to make a bass preset.

The track was made from 6 sequences, all created, arranged, and mixed/mastered on the MPC One.

Hope yā€™all like bumpinā€™ this one as much as I do. :sunglasses:

Cheers!

9 Likes

Damn !

1 Like

Just the incentive I needed! Iā€™m off from work today, so plan to dig into the SP. Thanks for the inspiration!

2 Likes

after some back and forth between this and another track, iā€™m going with the dirty/grimy one.

drum one-shots are from the kount, main melodic sample chops are from the david frost record, vocal clips are from the tv christmas shows. i used some clips from that great lou rawls in this and a couple of other tracks but ended up not using them. there are no other instruments added, just samples and effects in ableton. the other one is up on my soundcloud now if you want to check it out.

this was another fun challenge, and youā€™re all bringing some heat so far. thanks again to the organizers and all participating.

10 Likes