Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #7 - The War on Christmas edition

You got yours as well? Dope!! Hope you manage to cook up something!

1 Like

I always like your grimy beats best, this one sounds like your signature sound!

1 Like

Yep! Just showed up a couple of days ago. Still learning my way around.

1 Like

HNY everybody! :partying_face:

I used a little incidental strings and flute from the Lassie episode for the main chops. There are snippets from the other 2 tracks as well.

For the external instrument, this challenge was a great excuse to play my bass again. I am so rusty, but managed to record something. (I need to practice a lot more as well as learn some good ways to record it with what I have available).

Now to catch up on the more recent entries :peace_symbol:

12 Likes

Getting MF DOOM vibes off this one. :slight_smile:

Really interesting to hear different interpretations, nice to see them all rolling now.

2 Likes

Just finishing wrapping my presents folksā€¦ Usual last minute styles :joy:

5 Likes

I wonā€™t make it this time as I havenā€™t had a single free moment to myself in the last weeks. Hereā€™s to next year and hopefully more time!

2 Likes

Regretfully I havenā€™t had the time to get down on this. Hopefully I can catch the next one!

2 Likes

Really nicely done! Which Kount Kick/Snare or kit did you use on this track? Iā€™m a big fan of his stuff but canā€™t recognize what youā€™ve used here.

Cheers.

letā€™s seeā€¦

kicks are doubled up in this one with the grump kick and afterparty 2 from kount drums volume 3, snare is the yessir from kount drums volume 4, and hihats are a bunch of the stoney hats from kountā€™s memory bank drum pack 3.

my go-to hats are usually the hermes from kount drums volume 4. i prefer the softer sound, then adjust velocity and such from there. i also tend toward short rimshot/muted type snares and claps. he has a lot of options there.

as an example, hereā€™s a kit i use a lot in ableton:

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 2.38.18 PM

BUTā€¦ i also recently switched up workflow to use separate tracks for drums to make it easier to pan hats and snares and add effects to individual channels. for quick stuff, i might still use kits, just managing eq, compression, and such for the whole group.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t been able to submit anything for this battleā€¦ I had a remix job come in thatā€™s took over my studio and then got Covid. :partying_face::christmas_tree:

But, I am looking forward to checking out everyoneā€™s submission after the deadline. :+1:

1 Like

damn, yo. i canā€™t like this post. hope your symptoms are mild and that you recover quickly.

2 Likes

Thanksā€¦ Iā€™m on Day 5 now, the symptoms seem mild now (coughing, tired, etc), but the first two days were horrendous and way heavier than Iā€™d expected, the worst Iā€™ve felt in a long long time.
In case anyone is curious/wondering, Iā€™m 46, generally fit and healthy, and double vax jabbed.
Itā€™s certainly no stroll in the park, hope everyone remains vigilant. :v:

6 Likes

Super super rough in terms of timing and sound :crazy_face: Live takes and resampling basically. Fun though as these always are! No outside sounds apart from some drums. Probably delete this after the battle :flushed: :joy:

All done on the SP-404 mk2 with a tiny bit of editing and super shit ā€˜masteringā€™ in Ableton Live.

Time to get pissedā€¦ HNY everyone!

Feel better @CCMP!
We used a chunk of the same @Maisin!

12 Likes

Damn, get well soon @CCMP!

Its great how many people managed to make something by the way. Iā€™ll listen to everything on my studio monitors tomorrow! Very curious to hear what everyone came up with.

3 Likes

Hi everyone. Weird one - I tested positive for Covid on Christmas Day (feels like a very heavy cold, so could have been worse), and have been isolating in my girlfriendā€™s sisterā€™s attic bedroom for nearly a week, with girlfriend and her other sister, and our dog. And my SP404 mk2. The house-owning sister is ill too, but testing negative, while looking after a 3-year-old and bringing us all food.

So one of the weirder weeks. Iā€™ve spent a lot of time reading about and listening to music, and not much feeling like learning how to make beats. But I figure I need to be meeting deadlines and sharing stuff even when the output makes as little sense as this effort doesā€¦

Of all the potential loops Iā€™d spotted, I kept coming back to this one (I think itā€™s from the David Frost LP). Itā€™s just that and dialogue from Frost and one of the Christmas TV clips. I wanted to add drums, but couldnā€™t find a way to do it that actually made it sound better. Canā€™t wait to try to make something that actually sounds like hiphop. Heheh. Very inspired by other peopleā€™s beats. Next time, hopefully.

EDIT: Just saw @CCMP 's post about having a heavier Covid experience - I think I dodged a bullet; hope youā€™re feeling better soon!

chef_capes Ā· Father Christmas
9 Likes

That is hilarious! Confession time :pensive: I didnā€™t listen to all 4+ hours of the TV shows as I couldnā€™t rip it or spare the time, so a lot of luck in finding that same part!
Only had a quick listen to your beat on my phone (as oot and aboot for NY with a bottle of Guinness and a couple of cats as you do) but it sounds good :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Hope you get better soon!

1 Like

Great tracks guys! Canā€™t wait to listen to everything with more care.
Iā€™ve created a separate voting thread as usual! Here it is:

4 Likes

Fuck, i totaly forget this oneā€¦i started a beat a few weeks ago but didnā€™t finish itā€¦
Well done guys, there is amazing beats!

4 Likes