Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #7 - The War on Christmas edition

Great tracks, will try to get something together while I finish my 2022 jamuary setup.

3 Likes

that first part of the 1950s Christmasā€¦the Honeymooners Christmas is great!

@Sleepyhead im not gonna be able to take part in this one. but please ping me on the next.
thanks.

4 Likes

Definitely. Should be a good way to learn the machine!

2 Likes

@Sleepyhead can i use a one shot bass sample to play a bassline with it? Not shure if it can be considered as an external instrument.

1 Like

Sure! This would count as your instrument choice though, so no other instruments allowed then.

Unless you manage to find a nice bass sound somewhere in the samples, or (kind of cheating, but allowed within these rules) if you loop a single cycle from one of these samples to make a bass synth sound :wink:

1 Like

Enough bass sounds for a decade in that material.

Does eurorack count as a single instrument? Having some modbap vibes here atm.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s right but i like to use some bass sounds i have on my sampler. Bass sounds sampled from youtube generally sound not so good, in my humble opinion.

2 Likes

Haha good question (is eurorack a single instrument?)ā€¦

Itā€™s mostly up to you. IMO the main point is that you should try to make something in the spirit of this battle, meaning that you should build something based on the samples provided. The 1 extra instrument should be regarded as an extra element, something to add to the foundation of samples. The core of your track should however be made out of the samples provided.

Making a song out of another instrument (eurorack or otherwise) and then adding small bits from the samples would be within the rules, but not entirely within the spirit of this battle, but this is for everyone to judge when voting!

2 Likes

Yea, of course.

I will only drain some selected samples from the material given into eurorack (granular) fx. Donā€™t think I would need to use another sound source.

I am just experimenting, donā€™t care much about the voting aspect :wink:

3 Likes

Sounds great! Iā€™m curious to hear what you come up with!

To be clear: I didnā€™t mean to suggest you were trying to bend the rules or anything, just tried to make the general point that the rules should be regarded as general guidelines, but all creativity and experimenting is encouraged!

1 Like

Just started curating and hoooo boy that Frost/Taylor compilation has a BANGER on it, not saying which part. :wink:

7 Likes

yup, a ton of sections jumped out at me on that album. the 4 hours of classic 50s tv is also amazing but requires lots of chopping to make it manageable. canā€™t wait to hear what folks cook up this time.

5 Likes

My Dt crashed for the first time sampling this christmas stuff, seems he donā€™t ike it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Is your DT the grinch? :joy:

2 Likes

Donā€™t you mean hohoho boy? Sorry :grimacing:

Glad your digging it that was my pick and it was a quick pick too so wasnā€™t 100% thereā€™d be anything decent on it!

2 Likes

Itā€™s crazy, I am half way with the ipad, screen recording bits and pieces. Fun and funny stuff.

2 Likes

Happily I should have time to get involved this time, if itā€™s open to anyone. I dug everyoneā€™s contributions to the Tribe battle, and made a beat of my own from the samples after the fact. Iā€™m also proud owner of that David Frost Xmas LP - so itā€™ll be fun having a reason to dig it out.

Oh - and thanks for organising!

7 Likes

Itā€™s open for anyone to join, the more the merrier!

2 Likes

I made some ho ho ho

Not used any external syth or samples cuz its drive my crazy so im not gonna win :D. (i hate combine synths with samplesā€¦)
Soft used: Espi by low hiss and Trash 2 by izotope. All made on DT and record thru AH.

Happy holidays and new year 4 everyone !

12 Likes

Great track! What do you think about espi? I tried an early version last year, it was very buggy, itā€™s stable now?