Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #18 The 18th result

Welcome to battle 18
In this battle I wanted it to be a bit more interactive and get people to help me pick the samples.
I think it’ll be a bit of a refresher and I hope it’ll give us a good turn out.
(You can read the process in the first few posts)

I asked for a year and two genres and got 1969 and soul funk.

I searched for “soul funk 1969” on YouTube and the 18th result in the list was this track.
and it’s the track you must sample

I wanted to also add a lot of variety to use so I asked for a year from the 18 years of 1962-1980… I got 1979 as a suggestion.

As sampling soundtracks is a popular thing round here I searched for “soundtrack 1979” and randomly picked these in the top results

So I hope we have plenty to use.

Bullet point rules.

1. The 18th result funk track must be used in your beat, it can be a loop or a vocal sample or even just a snare drum but you must use it
    (Gene Chandler, In My Body’s House)

2. Use anything or as much as you want from the apocalypse now and alien soundtrack

3. Drums from any source

4. Bass from any source

5. Vocal scratches, dialogue from any source, movies and short chops from hip hop acapellas allowed

6. No full acapella verses

7. No soft synths, although bending a sample and chromatically playing it like a synth is fine

I always like to give two weekends to complete your beat so if you want to take part please send me your beat in a format I can easily download by the end of the day anywhere in the world on Thursday 16th February

Thanks and I hope you’re all happy with that :slightly_smiling_face:

15 Likes

4 Likes

Haha that’ll do, cheers bud.

And now I would be grateful if a different poster could pick any 2 of these genre’s

Jazz
Soul
Folk
Rock
Funk
Psychedelia
60s Popular
70s popular

2 Likes

Soul, Funk

5 Likes

Thanks fella :slightly_smiling_face:

And finally…

Now a different forum member to name a different year not already picked from the 18 years 1962-1980

2 Likes

How about 1979? A nice even decade apart

5 Likes

Perfect!

Ok thanks everyone :slightly_smiling_face:
Give me 20 mins or so and I’ll edit the post and suggest the samples and rules

3 Likes

Main post edited :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

nice battle topic. I already love it.

2 Likes

Cheers :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve just realised the apocalypse now soundtrack is mainly dialogue so I’ll throw another 1979 one up to use also.

Edit: Ok done

1 Like

Nice, and the apocalypse now is blocked in my country. So I will use Alien. The main sample is challenging, can’t wait to work with it.

1 Like

Glad you like it, :slightly_smiling_face: is there not a version of apocalypse now you can find from YouTube if you search for it in your region?

@Yabba
Can you put the title of the track in the bulletpoint #1 for clarification?

1 Like

Dope selection @Yabba that first song was a pleasant surprise! :beers:

@blaize they have both over on archive.org in .mp3 format if you’re curious :man_shrugging:

Apocalypse Now OST

1 Like

No problem buddy, just done it…

Cool, thats what i thought you meant!

1 Like

Nice challenge! Definitely trying to submit something again this time :blush:

1 Like

Sweet idea man! I’ll try and get something together for this. Has that gene chandler track been used in a film? I’ve def heard it before.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Wu Tang have used it to be honest but I’m wracking my brains trying to remember which track

1 Like

Aaah it’s the Baby Huey cover of it I know and it was sampled by Ghostface. https://www.whosampled.com/sample/2386/Ghostface-Killah-Method-Man-Cappadonna-Redman-Buck-50-Baby-Huey-Hard-Times/

Sorry, don’t mean to derail the battle. As you were!

2 Likes