Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 10 | Ashford & Simpson - So So Satisfied

Welcome to another new edition of our bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza!

The month is February, and historically is a month characterized by love! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

To begin our love spreading journey, and if you aren’t already aware, there are a few challenges currently taking place that you may also fancy spending some time on here:

For this week’s sample track, we’ll be focusing on a husband and wife duo called, Ashford and Simpson.

The song is the main title track “So So Satisfied,” and comes from the album of the same name, which is the group’s first album that was released on the Warner Bros. label, in 1977. Although this album did not see much success, their following three albums would all reach RIAA Gold Status. This duo is a serious, lesser-known powerhouse that made several #1 chart hits, and shaped the direction of where music was to go for many years to follow. Here’s some light, but loaded wiki-info on the duo:

After having recorded unsuccessfully as a duo, they joined an aspiring solo artist and former member of the Ikettes, Joshie Jo Armstead, at the Scepter/Wand label, where their compositions were recorded by Ronnie Milsap (“Never Had It So Good”), Maxine Brown (“One Step at a Time”), as well as the Shirelles, the Guess Who, and Chuck Jackson. Another of the trio’s songs, “Let’s Go Get Stoned,” gave Ray Charles a number one U.S. R&B hit in 1966. That same year, Ashford & Simpson joined Motown, where their best-known songs included “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” “You’re All I Need to Get By,” “Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing,” and “Reach Out and Touch (Somebody’s Hand).” Ashford and Simpson wrote many other hit songs, including Chaka Khan’s “I’m Every Woman” (1978) and “Is It Still Good to Ya?”, originally recorded by the duo in 1978 and covered by Teddy Pendergrass in 1980.

As performers, Ashford & Simpson’s best-known duets are “Solid” (1984) and “Found a Cure” (1979). The duo were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2002. They are also recipients of The Rhythm & Blues Foundation’s Pioneer Award, ASCAP Founders Award, and the Grammy Trustee Award.[4][5] Rolling Stone ranked them No. 19 on its list of the 20 Greatest Duos of All Time.[6]

Here is a link to the track, please delete it after using:
Ashford & Simpson - So So Satisfied

Album Photos:

51va+KvQhWL.SY1000

51vrCMr5hmL.SY1000
(note: pictures taken from google search; think the second is from a cd)

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and even Cardi B’s twerk team.

Mission:

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

Deadline: Sunday , February 12, 2023

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, February 12, 2023, or be faced with a brief moment of self-loathing for not participating. Submissions entered on later dates are also welcome!

Compensation:

Hearts and compliments from the community
(not guaranteed)

You can use as much or as little of the sample track as you like, you just have to use it. No winners, no losers, just good times!

Every two weeks we will post a track from our record collections, ideally something you’ve not heard before. Jams, full tracks, noodles - share whatever you like!

8 Likes

mmmm… sample is all silky.

1 Like

I actually flipped this a while back for a challenge that Microchop did. It came out pretty cool. All the samples are on the Sampletrak. I’m sequencing them from the Digitone.

7 Likes

Wait… this is too sexy… with them in my headphones… its a menage a trois…

Im about to bust just listening to this.

1 Like

@Doug I literally had a beat like that in my head! Back to the drawing board 🥲 well done man super flavorful experience, yet again! :beers:

@BLKrbbt haha I’m glad you think so man I had a Bill&Ted “woah” moment myself :yum:

2 Likes

8 Likes

Damn you guys are fast! Doug straight up going back in time for this one :sweat_smile:

The embed didn’t work for me though, here’s one that did hopefully helpful for others (maybe a regional thing) Ashford & Simpson "So So Satisfied" - YouTube

Gorgeous song - look forward to seeing what I can work out of it!

2 Likes

@Doug Tightđź‘ŚThe aesthetic is honed to a fine point. Would love to hear some vocals on this!

@BLKrbbt This might be my favourite of yours so far, really well structured and the sound design choices are great :ok_hand:The clap is delicious.

2 Likes

i appreciate that!

I used Maschine and Pigments. How could I go wrong?

2 Likes

Great sample, looking forward to having a chop of this one :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I can’t believe how fast you guys got in on this one!

2 Likes

Oh… I was waiting on this! Plus, I need to get this off my plate so i can get back to what I was working on.

6 Likes

:axe: :axe: :axe: Quick play this evening

Great sample choice @aarb420 lots to dig out of this one for sure!

5 Likes

@BLKrbbt Gotta agree with @natehorn, you got a really sweet formula on this one man and the vibe is super pleasant! :beers:

@proskynesis Dope build up and track, and this sounds like it’s building into an hour long set! :beers:

@natehorn Those offbeat drums are so damn crisp and tasty! The floating samples are dope too, and it feels like they’re dancing together with the drums! :beers:

You guys have no idea how much these jams hit like medicine after a night of drunken debauchery, thank you! Glad you guys are having fun with this one because I almost went with another track! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thx! Working some more on that track at the moment. Made in bed after work and was ultra tired so rushed it.

1 Like

HQ version added to OP apologies for the delay :beers:

New version

3 Likes

Sweet jam man the vibe on this got me all hyped up! :beers:

1 Like

It feels to me that the last 20 seks are the best so gonna rearrange the whole thing.