Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #17: The Legend of Zelda Edition

I’ve never played Zelda, and I’m not really a gamer but I’ve just played the whole of that soundtrack from start to finish and i thoroughly enjoyed it

6 Likes

Yeah, I was kind of hesitant at first because I realize that a lot of people have no interest or emotional attachment to this game or gaming in general. But for the above mentioned reasons and the general quality of the music, I thought that it would be OK.

5 Likes

Haha, that’s awesome. I still plan to do that for Majora’s mask as well. I did finish OOT back then, but never got around finishing MM.

If you haven’t done so, I also highly recommend playing breath of the wild if you ever get the chance.

That was the first Zelda game that really grasped me after the N64 era.

1 Like

What a wicked battle, loved TLoZ games since the very first on the NES… Ocarina of Time blew me away as a kid. Riding the plains of Hyrule atop Epona, making it rain with the Song of Storms… Masterpiece.

3 Likes

it’s more than ok it’s a great idea :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

1st of all…this might be the greatest beat contest prompt of all time. I love the little twists and details in the rule set!

2ndly…this comes as a shock to me :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Maybe i’m siloed off from reality but i’ve never met someone who disliked OOT, even those who didn’t own a copy of their own had experienced it while hanging with friends and were impressed by the scope and gameplay (and music of course!)

But i’m almost more surprised that you felt some of us aren’t into gaming at all. I must really be out of touch lol…the more artists I talk to the more I assume that gaming is the single greatest unifying factor among this generation of electronic music producers :sunglasses:

Those systems (and what we learned/liked about their music) were like a music-making gateway drug. I pretty much swapped game consoles for sequencers & samplers as my nerd hobby of choice

4 Likes

Never finished the game as kid. Not really my gameplay. I much prefere FPS like goldeneye or perfect dark (to stay on N64). I spent more time on Duke Nukem 3D, unreal tournament and my beloved Quake 3 Arena.
N64 was my last console, then I play on PC until now I still play FPS online on PC and still love it.
RPG, solo and story games bore me so much, even zelda :stuck_out_tongue:
But yeah, the music is beautiful and I’m sure I will get something out of it.

4 Likes

i can totally respect that
all of those are classics imho…especially goldeneye and perfect dark

i played some rpg and fps but was more into fighting or racing games and actually never beat OOT either

a friend of mine was completely obsessed with it though, and i loved how cleverly music was integrated into the game

Okay I’m gonna be that guy… I have never played a Zelda game ever… I’ve always been a gamer though although more of the pew pew bang bang variety, I never really understood the fantasy RPG fascination I just really liked blowing shit up 🤷

5 Likes

Yeah this is me too, unreal and quake were definitely my go to games for the longest time…

3 Likes

Best beat challenge ever!
I rarely read these threads, but I bloody love Zelda games and their soundtracks.

I’m really excited to hear the results.

4 Likes

Happy to read that you are all down with this challenge! Looking forward to hearing all your creations :slight_smile:

3 Likes

haha… my experience with games ended with an atari computer that could also play cartridges. my buddy mike ruined video games for me, because he’d stop by my house to play some new game we just got, beat it, and then leave. when nintendo and others arrived, i just didn’t care and had no money anyway. there’s basically a whole era of technology that i completely skipped.

edit: will see how it goes for this battle. with end of year work stuff, hanukah and christmas family obligations, etc., i probably won’t get to focus on this till the last minute. though i’m not participating in jamuary this year, so maybe there’s some time.

3 Likes

That sucks. But who makes better beats now? Checkmate, Michael.

2 Likes

There so much usable stuff here I don’t know where I’m going :joy:
I’ve started four beats, yet there’s so much more I want to sample.
I don’t know which is my intro, my main beat, or my boss beat, and which ones I should scrap.
Also not sure how to switch from main beat to boss beat, but it’s gonna be fun working it out.

7 Likes

I’m going to try to put something together. It may tough, as school and work will be back in session.

2 Likes

Don’t worry. Statistically you’ll definitely get at least one “master sword” vote from me :sob:

2 Likes

Daaamn, the last thing that I’ve tweaked around before my music hiatus was some kind of Forest Temple acid rework.

Very tempted to dust off the machines again for this.

:deciduous_tree: :alien:

4 Likes

I effin love acid.

2 Likes

Santa brought me this! So I will let my DT out for this battle and try to make something on this one.
Luckily @Doug made some beatmaking and tutorials videos on this one, it will help me starting :grinning:

10 Likes