Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #16 :Tarantino edition

Thanks homeskillet! BTW, I follow you on YT due to your cosmic connection with unique and eclectic effects modules/pedals and have picked up a lot from you. The Sonic Alienator, Alesis Bitrmn and Metavox are all on my get list (cause fuck wishes).

Yeah good call. If I do make a rap for it (likely), I’ll share it after the winners are crowned fasho. But, since you’re interested, here’s an example of my flow on a beat I made which is decent but, more importantly due to the nature of these battles, doesn’t reveal anything about my typical sound, as it’s a few years old and my new shit doesn’t sound anything like it.

I don’t wanna pimp out the battle thread but there’s tons of shit online too, if you want some links in a dm or something, I can do that There’s literally hundreds of live performances online of me rapping as a part of a 12 piece improv funk outfit (one from last night actually). I’m also sitting on a nearly complete debut full length that’s been years in the making which I can’t wait to share, but these songs, unfortunately, would reveal too much about my production style to post here and I’m trying to keep em under wraps until the final mixes are mastered anyway, so here’s an old rap cover of a Tom Waits song I did a few years ago for your “needs” and for those interested. Lol, I say I don’t wanna pimp the thread and then proceed to hoe out a lengthy paragraph.

Listen to 16 Shells - Matt G by Matt G (Funk Illuminati) on #SoundCloud

1 Like

Mannn I can’t believe I almost forgot how awesome all these movies are, having a blast rewatching and pausing to catch all the nuggets :microphone:

2 Likes

Really looking forward to making a start today.

“Let’s go to woirk”

1 Like

I’m pretty much done, I wish to god I was better at scratching though every time I try to add some it sounds like crap, nm I’ll just keep practicing :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I used to be ok at cutting and scratching a long while ago, and hadn’t touched decks for that purpose in 10-15 years.

I mentioned that to a workmate a while back who eventually bought some decks, and because of my big mouth I found myself obligated to pop round his house show him some patterns.
It turned out to be the worst and most embarrassing time to find out that I couldn’t do it anymore. :joy:
Frustratingly, even though I knew what to do in my head, I couldn’t correctly time the crossfader with the decks and make it sound like it should.

Haha yeah I get yer, I can do the basics like chirps, transformer and low count flares okay and string some patterns together etc. But as soon as I start recording them it all goes to rat shit… probably best off just practicing and having some fun with it until the real muscle memory kicks in if it ever does… my body and mind aren’t as elastic as they used to be… :joy:

@1-2 mate I know you said no acapellas and that’s fine by me but how do we stand on vocal samples from raps being used, blanket ban or are we allowed a little spice? I’m not talking verses here just small phrases🤘

Yeah I think that’s fine, it’s in the rules “no full acapellas”
So partial sections for choruses or scratches, effects is fine I guess.

1 Like

Yeah, I figured similar to the last time, so spice it up just try to keep it minimal. Not trying to be too restrictive, we just want the main focus to be on the beat

1 Like

Yeah mate that’s fine thanks for the clarification :+1:

1 Like

I’ve not really done D&B, but I try and keep these challenges under 100 bpm or I feel a bit naughty calling it hip hop.

I would really appreciate some 130bpm+ challenges just so I’m stretching other muscles.

I’ll just double the tempo of whatever I make here and call it DnB :smirk: :crazy_face:

Not my decision to make of course, but I’d say why not try a separate D&B or “electronic” series? There might be a bunch of people out there on the board not into hip hop and keen on a regular project like that. I’m all for anything that brings more music to music forums. You might have to adapt the rules to allow more synths and drum machines though.

1 Like

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

3 Likes

how’s everyone doing with this one? i made a little progress right after the battle opened, but then holidays and houseguests happened. my spot has been blown up, as they say. hope all’s well with you folks.

2 Likes

I haven’t started

2 Likes

Made a little progress and then took a break.

Trying to do it in Bitwig rather than the Polyend Tracker which so far means it is taking much longer. It’s a good learning experience though.

2 Likes

Havent started either… will try to do this one on the octatrack for a change! Might just start tomorrow.

1 Like

I’m going through some growing pains in terms of sampling.

I’m on a 404, and now that I got the song chopped and set up for about 32 bars, I’m trying to figure out how to do the drums.

Do people just play them in all 32 bars, and if they make a mistake, they just start all over?

Or do they keep the song broken up in like 8 bar chunks and then stitch all together at the end? And what if you need to change course in the middle?

I would love to hear anyones take on this.

I’m posting this on a couple threads to see if anyone can help.

Thanks!

I always program my drums since I’m bad at finger drumming. If I were trying to go that route, I would probably break that up into smaller parts, lay down the drums on each part and then chain them back together.

I don’t own a 404 though

3 Likes