Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #16 :Tarantino edition

I appreciate that. It seems like this is common no matter the sampler.

It seems to be what a couple people are saying. I’m learning the hard way though.

I just got my 8bar chunks stitched together in a good way, now I gotta go back and redo it. Oh well.

Im also worried if the beat will lack flow by doing it in smaller chunks, but that may not matter since it should follow the drums that are chopped with the sample. I just have to learn to keep the same groove across all the patterns.

In terms of the smaller sections, maybe I should have a common element to help keep it structured. Like have a similar hook on like 3 parts. Beginning Middle and End.

Don’t need more than 3 parts at this stage of the game. By the time I get comfortable with arranging( which will happen naturally over time) then I can do more complex shit.

Really appreciate the time! If you have anymore advice, I’d love to hear it.

What do you use to program? On the 404, you can’t restart the play head in sequencing mode, which makes waiting for a cue or a variation hard.

I submitted mine today

1 Like

I love these challenges. I’m learn so much from them.

The last one had some puzzles that I solved and used in this one, but as I get acquainted with making sample based music, new challenges come up.

But I’m seeing how I’m walking in the same steps as those who put out the bangers on here.

1 Like

I also haven’t started yet. That’s one reason I wanted to give people a little extra time on this one, it can be busy this time of the year.

I hope everyone is finding some good stuff to use, I have not even started looking yet

I usually do the drums 2 to 4 bars at a time. I would imagine most people not in a band/ live instrument scenario don’t put down the drums across the whole track in one go.

For me its often start small, extend length, duplicate patterns, and add variation - sometimes fresh patterns - chain everything together, adjust flow where nessicary

A lot of hardware naturally works with this method, limited seq length etc, elektrons and many more

If you need to change course in the middle this is easier because everything’s already broken up into sections

For 404 if you are resampling maybe try making the drum groove on a pad first once you know the bpm you need for the samples, copy that a few times and then lay your chops down on top of those
Or make a few drum groove samples and then trigger the beats a few bars at a time for the longer track method, less to mess up just find the one’s

Nothing wrong with laying down drums full track all at once, and nothing wrong with mistakes, it will give it that live feel.

Sometimes I switch up how I do these kind of things just for something different

There is no right way, only different methods -just find what works for you

1 Like

This is where I went wrong.

I made the chops, and started putting them together and got into a flow, then I was 32 bars in.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I need to start doing only one section then take a break to get the drums in, and then craft using the drums for the rest.

Sampling is so powerful that if your not careful, you can get overwhelmed quickly!

I mainly use a Digitakt, my Digitone, or my Circuit Rhythm. I like a nice step sequencer.

I do too!

Thank you.

I would love to submit something, but I am probably not going to make it it this time.

I started something, but that didn’t really work out and I am not sure if I will find the time to start over before the deadline.

Looking forward to listening to all of your work though!

1 Like

I’m done but still on the fence with my drums… dunno if I want to swap them out yet…

1 Like

I finished mine last night.
I’m gonna wait for a few days before sending it and listen again with fresh ears to see if I wanna make changes that make it sound more complicated, maybe more vocals, or playing with the filters.
Although I often find that spoils the basic groove.
I’m quite happy with it so far though

5 Likes

I almost finished mine. Structure and variations are here. Need to add some details and relisten everything in few days with fresh ears. I’m on time to submit to myself before the 4th.

3 Likes

And submitted, changed the drums and did a bit of minor surgery, feels good to have it off my back😅

5 Likes

I started again and finally got something going. I might make it after all…

1 Like

Phew done!

I’m going to sleep on it and probably submit tomorrow.

Submitted!

4 Likes

I hesitate but think i will probably participate

4 Likes

I think I have to sit this one out. Good luck everyone! I know yall are gonna kill it

1 Like

I managed to submit something as well

2 Likes