Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #1

@drrumble @rockpapergoat @woops @Maisin @Sleepyhead

Thank you all for your kind works! Love the support from this community.

Yes, I really appreciate battles and prompts like this to get me out of my comfort zone and into feeling courageous. My main motive for making music is that I like listening to, creating, and manipulating pretty sounds - recording something or working on a finished piece is often an afterthought. One of my primary reasons for joining this was that I wanted to submit a sample :sweat_smile: so thanks for using that @Sleepyhead!

I’ve started listening to some of the tracks and really digging the variety of the beats. There’s lots of talent here :slight_smile:

@woops your track bangs! Very full sound. Love all the effects and the bass that comes in around 1:30

@NeonMelk you having fun with it really comes through! Great job :slight_smile:

@new_drugs love the contrast between the intro and actual beat. Very laid back, I’d listen to this while working. Great use of the Shade sample

3 Likes

Here’s mine… I didn’t think I was going to make the deadline, but I managed to cobble something together today with the hour I had… I kinda wish I could have added more sections, an acapella and some scratching maybe and mixed it down a little better, but I know I won’t have time tomorrow so I figured I may as well finish it off today and keep it barebones. The sample selection was awesome, I used the Carrie Lucas record and the Peter Shade record mostly, with bits and pieces of other stuff as well. It was a lot of fun all in all, and I’ve been enjoying listening to all these great submissions…

15 Likes

Dope! Love the off beat drums and the bassline, especially since they take a while to come in, but when they do it knocks!

1 Like

I don’t know what you’re doing here but some of the songs at the top are great sample material so thank you all

3 Likes

nice work everyone!

Here’s mine.
I used mainly the Monica sample.
A bit of vocal from the Carrie Lucas track and one or two others.
And I sampled a bass tone, filtered it up and played a bassline (I can’t remember which track I sampled the note from)
I made it on one pattern in Digitakt, I didn’t use mutes or alter it after recording.

14 Likes

I don’t know if it’s possible, but if the mods could help out, maybe we could change the name of this thread to “Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #1 Submissions” and then paste all the finished beats into a new thread called “Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #1 Vote”. It’s getting pretty hard to find stuff and will be a mess when the voting starts.

The battle I used to take place in separated the submissions and voting out, and it worked out well. Just a thought, of course.

We could even all repaste our own beats into that thread and say discussion in that thread is off limits until the voting begins if we don’t want to involve the mods. This will keep things clean and make it easier to listen to all the beats before the vote.

2 Likes

This one kill everything. I love it. Never heard before :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love this mate. Great flow

1 Like

Nice relaxing competition however I didn’t read the rules properly, as I thought everything had to be done using the sample sources only and to be honest I left it too late, so it’s too unfinished to submit. All the best.

2 Likes

Here’s my entry

This is all made on the Tracker and the Digitakt - recorded into ableton with just a little bit of mastering. The tracker holds the main DOOM a capella and handles the song structure, some DT muting, and there are a a few performance effects here and there. Everything else is on the DT. I’ve recorded a video but haven’t got round to putting it together yet (Camera ran out of batteries!)… let me know if you’re interested in seeing it.

Samples. I used quite a few , maybe 8 or 9 - the only sound that isn’t is the main breakbeat, which was just something I had on my DT. The cut up beat was from the triplets video - along with a few “OOOW!” - that guy is ace. The main piano parts are cut up from Ryuichi Sakamoto from @Dheurt. There’s lots of other stuff, and even though it doesn’t’ really fit, I could resist a bit of Rick Flair! I had some plans to use more but ran out of time…

Never made any hiphop before, but was spurred on by all the excellence on display here, so thank you!

15 Likes

Piano chops and drums sound great…extra kudos for getting Doom and Flair on the same track :metal:

Excellent submissions everyone!!!
Whoa :astonished: :clap:

2 Likes

Did somebody say deadline?!

So many good entries, helped spur me on to get something in:

Main sample is @DimensionsTomorrow Hereton Salvanini
Couple of hihats from @woops Purdie
Percussion from @jamesstiff BBC
Then added drums and FX.
Used an MPC One for pretty much everything and an SP404SX for some filters and compression. (I got a Digitakt recently but am still learning it!)

12 Likes

Dope! Its indeed crazy we both chose the same piece of sample out of all the stuff posted here haha… yours sounds way different though, I like the bounce you gave it.

1 Like

@Boxymusic you should reconsider your choice of genre as youre pretty good at this hiphop stuff…! I really like the way you got the piano to sound.

@maisin dope track! I like the off beat drums and the sample chops!

@DimensionsTomorrow this could help… I personally don’t mind that much because we managed to keep the samples and beat submissions pretty much separated. If more people would prefer a separate thread I’m all for it though. What do others think? We should keep your idea in mind for the next one either way!

4 Likes

Maybe too much work at this point. Perhaps, for future battles if people prefer it, as you said.

1 Like

Making a new thread for voting in the last open battle seemed to work quite well :slight_smile:

I’m open either way. Lots more activity and entries in this battle than the one posted

Thanks! I wish I had a genre to quit - I’m always struggling to decide what to make! Know any good rappers?

Thanks !! Can’t wait for the next battle to add more craziness in the mix !

1 Like

Had a lot less time than I thought so I´m not super happy with my result but better than nothing I guess? No mixing and very little arrangement due to time issues but anywho, here it goes:

I used the MPC Live as originally intended mostly because I haven´t used it in quite a while and felt bad for it collecting dust. Even thought about selling it but when I used it again I remembered why I got it in the first place.
I also used the Gladys Knight & The Pips sample and added the Romeo & Juliet theme. The rest is from my sample library within the MPC and for the bassline I tried the included plugin. I have quite some catching up to do and listen to most of the submissions.

At least some spam account already commented on it :smiley:

11 Likes