Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #3 - Vocal Edition

I’m in!

6 Likes

I’ve been away all week so will have to skip this one (I know if I haven’t gotten something at least started I won’t get anything finished in time).
Will be great to hear the entries when they are in, enjoy everyone!

3 Likes

One of my old bands was introduced to this track by our longtime studio engineer. We used to watch this on our session days to have a laugh and wake up in the mornings while we had our coffees! We’d get all amped up in this weird wild way!

As it is, I’m not going to make a submission this time around. I’m about to dig into my s2400 this weekend to start learning. Then I’m on vacation starting next weekend so I just won’t have the time. I know if I try I’ll just end up drifting back to my MV and put my learning on the back burner!

Looking forward to hearing everyone’s beats though!

7 Likes

Congrats on that. The S2400 is one of the few things that I can imagine spending that much money and waiting that long to get. It seems magical.

2 Likes

New here, just got my Octatrack in the mail yesterday and can’t think of a better way to learn.

In!

12 Likes

Welcome!

2 Likes

man, when did sam elliott learn to play like that? haha… made me do a double take.

i love stuff like this. thanks for posting!

1 Like

I’m glad so many folks have joined this battle so far. I’ll close the sample submissions tomorrow at about 7am (PDT) in order to let anyone else in later time zones a chance to post a sample if they’d like. I can’t wait to see what everyone cooks up.

5 Likes

Haha sounds like a good way to get started.

Very jealous of your s2400 by the way. I’ve been thinking about ordering one on a few occasions but then in the end I don’t because of the price, and the fact that I have an AR mk2 and should just focus on becoming a master on that machine…

It does seem like a perfect blend between the old (sound/workflow) and the new (sampling time, options) though… how does the sequencer compare to working with an elektron one?

4 Likes

Sample submission is closed. Feel free to post your beat.

3 Likes

huzzah! i’m on a plane for 6 hours, which is plenty of time to work on something or submit what’s already done. i can’t wait to hear what people cook up this time.

1 Like

Here goes my beat. I had so much fun making this that I changed my plans and made a decision to start building a full hip hop album.

@violentmeals Bukowski on being alone turned out to be the key to unlock this beat. Can’t believe I haven’t heard this one before as what he says could be my words exactly.

@rockpapergoat Vittorio Paltrinieri - Took the piano hit from this.

@DimensionsTomorrow - Sampled one of the kick + guitar hits from this one.

Anyways, let the beat speak for itself! (I have also a version with some sampled El-P lines which I can share after the competition is over) :slight_smile:

15 Likes

My beat made on the digitakt :

I used samples from :
@Yabba Fire and ice - Main Sample
@rockpapergoat Mist and smoke - Little chop

And to stay in the battle theme i took vocal samples from :
@CCMP The beatles
@Sherelle Queen

Drums and bass are goldbaby samples.

I could not resist to add an acapella, so you will ear the voice of Planet Asia over the beat :grin:

Can’t wait to ear your beats!

16 Likes

dope! will have to listen to this more closely later (no noise canceling headphones on the plane), but i like the flow, structure, and sample choices here. it all works very well together. good stuff!

2 Likes

damn, dude. this one bangs. i’d bump this with my buddy driving around in his mom’s 1991 camry, for sure. your stuff is aways so solid… just really classic sounding hip hop.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Welcome to the Battle!
What a killer selection for sample fodder…

1 Like

Haha!! Kalhor abides…

1 Like

man, much like last time, i’m going with the first beat i made. this uses the following samples:

arranged, EQed, applied effects, and such in ableton. this one came together pretty quickly. it just felt really fun while still kinda slamming. i hope you all like it. i may post up some of the others that almost made the cut. enjoy!

16 Likes

Gonna have to sit this one out as I have a lot going on at the moment, but looking forward to hearing everyone’s tracks!

2 Likes

Didn’t intend it to become a BB remix, but these things occur, I guess.

Things I used:

• Some hihats, a kind of 2-bar breakdown riser that I filtered and the “flatline” vocal from the excellent Miscellaneous Flux track @Doug put up
  • some really messed up strings that were originally from the Demis Roussos track @Yabba dropped
  • bookended it all with the @ViolentMeals Bukowski text
  • the “ghastly” bit from My Fair Lady courtesy of @Dkstr
  • kick drum thuds from Brigitte Fontaine thanks to @simonbradford
  • obviously the bulk of the “Intergalactic” acapella from @Buska (but not the hook because I’m all about that 90s Vinyl Reanimators style :wink:)
  • I did sample some of the Focus yodelling (thanks @Sleepyhead) but I ran it through Live’s Spectral Resonator and turned it into the robot noise at the end of every 4 bar segment
  • and the open drone and closing segment is from the @drrumble submission that my keyboard can’t write, alas. I pitched it down an octave, chopped it, ran it through SP1200 style grit and then double tracked it so I could highpass the strings and lowpass the bass dirge that I made in Sampler, looping a single hit to make a continuous tone

External stuff I used:

• Cherry Audio Realistic MG-1 for the bouncy bass
  • random drum samples for the main drums (just searched the Live packs and layered up some hits together with Drumsynth parts to make them slap like I wanted them to)

I think that’s everything. Made in Live 11 on an ancient i5 laptop.

Shouts to everyone who got down!

14 Likes