Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #3 - Vocal Edition

Okay, well this is…something.

I used the track @simonbradford posted for the kick drums, as well as some vocals and that little horn.
The rest of the drums come from the skit @PeteSasqwax posted
I also used a little vocal bit from the Badu track that @audio2.0 posted and the Beastie Boys track that @Buska posted.
And the main sample where the bass and guitars come from the Tim Maia track that @DimensionsTomorrow posted.

Rap is by me

19 Likes

yikes, dude. this may be your best yet. so good!

3 Likes

This is FIRE!!!

1 Like

Glad I’m not in this battle! You murdered it!
:fire: :sweat_smile::fire:

3 Likes

@Doug damn this one is good!

I also really like the madlib vibes on @rockpapergoat’s track… I really feel the pressure to cook up something good now, but I still have to start haha.

4 Likes

@rockpapergoat This is sick! Man, everyone upped their game this week! :fire:

Reminds me of Onra!

3 Likes

:sob: hope all’s well. conserve energy for the next one, yo.

1 Like

I’m pushed for time this week guys so going to submit now at the point I’ve got to with it (to force myself to not be distracted this week!?) :partying_face:

I would have liked to have added more to it to be honest, but I’m pleased with the vibe.

I’ve used the @DimensionsTomorrow sample for the vocal chord part, and @audio2.0 Erkah Badu sample.
Obviously main part/rap is thanks to De La Soul.
Everything else I’ve played/programmed… Moog Sub37 bass (think I’m still in Carpenter mode), played some guitar, programmed the beats with hits from my Roland TR8S.

10 Likes

dang, nice work. i like this flow. the de la vocal works well here.

1 Like

digging this one. i’m on vacation and need to listen more closely on headphones. the long form is nice to hear.

2 Likes

Okay, this one is sort of a mess, but it was a really fun mess to make.

For samples I used:

@Doug – for cymbal and one musical passage

@Dkstr – Vocal

@Buska – Vocals

@sezare56 – Vocals

@Boxymusic –Vocals/Music

@PeteSasqwax – Vocals

@Dheurt – Vocals

I also used a couple of one shot drums I re-sampled through a guitar amp (which has gotten me some good results). I also played and sampled a few synth lines into the Digitakt. It is 100% Digitakt - stereo bounce out. Sorry about the gross name - When I reversed one of the samples it totally sounded like it was saying “a mouth full of sewage” and I knew that had to be the title. Hope you like it.

12 Likes

You’re all going H.A.M. on this one!

2 Likes

This is my submission: I stole a drum from Brigitte Fontaine’s “Comme à la radio” (@simonbradford) and the space FX were done mainly with Demis Roussos “Fire and Ice” intro (@Yabba) that I heavily chewed with the Microcosm ^^

Vocals are from the amazing Antipop Consortium’s “Where am I?” a capella version.
You really have to check this sound if you don’t know them cause they definitely push forward!

Performed on Analog Rytm with Overbridge on Ableton Live.
Funky alien FM sounds sampled from the Digitone.

14 Likes

Fantastic!

1 Like

Oh dang! This is sooo good!

1 Like

Brutal with that slowed down IAM accapella!

Raw and short cut (loop ?) done in few hours today on old mpc using :
@DimensionsTomorrow sample
@rockpapergoat sample
@audio2.0 sample
Only kick and snare are outside

Effects from LIVE

8 Likes

It’s @simonbradford sample. :wink:
Really good job, my favorite yet.
I think using an already produced voice track is a bit cheating, especially Antipop Consortium, but you made something very different from the original! :content:

Unfortunately no time to participate seriously…
Have fun everyone…

1 Like

Thanks.
I’ll correct the mistake.

Fun fact: I hadn’t had the time to actually listen to the original version ^^

And I get what you say about cheating.
For me it’s more that I don’t feel like this track is truly mine. In the other hand, that was a fantastic exercise and APC might be my favorite hip-hop act, I just love how futuristic they can sound.
I did my best to create a sound they wouldn’t disapprove!

2 Likes

Thanks. I felt a bit weird about using it since I don’t speak french and I chopped the verses all to pieces. But, at the end of the day it is about how something sounds and I loved the way they fit.

2 Likes