Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #21 - Library Music

Haha yeah, I’m just gonna throw on some headphones and listen to a couple more.
I wish a had a computer new enough to let me split stems on a whole track instead of struggling to do about 10 seconds in an hour so I’ve spent the last few days realising I really do need a new laptop above all else

A new computer is always nice. Koala splits stems good enough for me i think. (And that runs on a phone). I think Koala uses spleeter under the hood. There’s a windows app available here https://github.com/boy1dr/SpleeterGui. Maybe that runs faster than what you’re using?
I just tried another free online option that works lightning fast. This is the demucs colab script. Just upload a track to your google drive in a folder called ‘demucs’. Then click on the little play buttons one by one. Track of 2.5 min took me less than 1 minute to unroll…
Google Colab

1 Like

I used stem roller for the short bits I’ve done and it’s so much cleaner than anything else I’ve tried.

By “anything else” I mean koala and another stem splitting app called Moises for iOS which is a little bit better than koala to my ears, plus it tells you the notes playing while the track plays

I’m really only interested mainly in removing the drums I guess

1 Like

I read demucs is what stem roller is based on, the one track i just tried was indeed pretty well isolated.

Nice one for the info bro, I’ll have to do a bit more research, if an app can take away the need to spend for a new laptop I’m all up for that

1 Like

Am I too late to get on?

If not, here’s my break:

6 Likes

Navigating this almost infinite crate of wonders as we speak. Argh, so many loops!

1 Like

Anyone know of a decent online YouTube convert/downloader?

My usual one has decided not to work anymore and I can’t find one that works and doesn’t keep telling me I’ve won an iPhone and keeps failing

I’m using 4K video downloader. It has a few ads, but it’s not too bad.

2 Likes

EDIT: Totally overlooked you said online. Ignore me!

Command Line Option

I use rockpapergoat’s instructions, only I’m using yt-dlp since youtube-dl doesn’t seem to work anymore

My batch file (Windows) looks like:

@ echo off
echo.
“C:\path\yt-dlp.exe” - -extract-audio - -audio-format wav %*

(Only no spaces between the double dashes and between the @ and echo)

2 Likes

Cheers for your help guys, much appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:
Can’t believe I’ve wasted a couple of hours I wanted to spend making stuff on just trying to get it downloaded

nice, nice. i don’t bother with wav, as the files are bigger. since nobody’s looking for fidelity ripping this way, mp3 is usually fine:

--- Downloads/Elektronauts Hip-Hop Battle 19 » which yt
yt: aliased to yt-dlp -x --audio-format mp3

then just do this to download, and it spits out your mp3 in no time:

yt https://youtu.be/Fa9ZcVH8mBM
2 Likes

Aliasing is clutch. You’re right about fidelity, but I do wav instead of mp3 because M8 only reads wavs and it saves me a step.

1 Like

Totally missed this one! This is right up my alley too as I went on a wild spree collecting a lot of Library music recently. Hope yall have fun, good luck @everyone and I’ll watch with hefty amounts of popcorn nearby! :beers:

3 Likes

I don’t think there is any reason you can’t make a track if you didn’t submit a beat.

3 Likes

I am all for that too, way more than enough material to go through already, should still have time to get in since the break submissions are more of a side addition to the huge library of music that is the main focus here.

If @flippantminister is cool with it I’m sure we would all love to have you in on this

I am just getting started and am blown away by the source material, I had no idea, this is a real goldmine!

Can’t wait to hear what variety people come up with there’s so many different directions you could go it’s insane. Thanks for introducing me to this it’s like a whole new world has opened up

Looks like I’ve got some studying to do, back to the library

2 Likes

oh yeah, everyone’s welcome. if you didn’t submit a break just grab some drums from the source material, or some other samples you’ve got laying around. i really only asked for people to submit a break so i could see what people offered up(and use it myself :smiley:)

6 Likes

Just made my beat. Grabbed the very first sample that spoke to me, and didn’t look any further. The danger of being spoilt for choice was too real on this one :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Right on guys, thanks for the encouragement! :beers:

Idk if it’s okay to share here but there is a great forum called https://librarymusicthemes.com/index.php, and it’s full of hard to find library albums that are user submitted vinyl rips/ cd releases, and they take their rips very seriously! Some of the really good KPMs had dead links, but there are a few users refreshing links if you’re searching for something in particular. Speaking from lurking :innocent:

Here’s a late drum break for you guys!

6 Likes

I’ve finished my basic track, but it’s not very well mixed and lacking in punch at the moment so I’m going to do a bit more with it.
Really enjoyed the theme and found it took me in a darker trip hop type direction.

4 Likes