Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #21 - Library Music

Howdy folks.

The theme for Battle #21 is “library music.” Specifically music from the Bruton Music label.

I assume most of you are familiar with the term, if not here’s the wiki link- Production music - Wikipedia

Here’s a playlist with tons of records from the label- each video is a whole album, and most of them are divided into tracks.

Bruton Music Playlist

There’s a lot to choose from there, I suggest picking an album based on the cover and then digging around!

Thee Rules:

• Your main sample must be from the above playlist
  • Each participant should post a drum break of some sort
  • You can use other sounds, but keep them to a minimum(i.e. a bass sound & a kick sample, etc)
  • Each participant must make a beat primarily consisting of elements from this thread. You are free to use multiple samples from what has been uploaded, if you desire
  • You cannot use the break that you have posted
  • Keep your beat to a maximum of 2:30

Please have your samples posted by end of day Friday May 19.
Deadline for submissions is end of day Sunday June 4 my time, which is US CST (GMT-5)

When you’re done, PM me with a link to mp3/wav upload of your beat. Be sure to include your name in the title of the file.

Let me know if any of this is unclear! Thanks to @Yabba for letting me host, can’t wait to see what you all come up with.

14 Likes

Here’s my break (drums solo at :42)

8 Likes

So cool! Great theme

3 Likes

Made a slight revision to the rules on Yabba’s advice- there’s no need to post your own sample from the playlist, just find something on there you like and use it.

However, do post a break for others to use- that gets your name on the list for this battle!

2 Likes

Gonna try and get involved this month, nice battle choice, been a long time fan of the kpm and dewolfe stuff, this is something new for me so thanks for the heads up👍

3 Likes

I vow to actually do this one.

(Also, there are open drum parts throughout the song. Not just the opening bit.)

10 Likes

This looks great!

1 Like

Procrastinators of the world unite✊ tomorrow or maybe the next day😅

4 Likes

Thanks to @flippantminister for hosting and the great concept.

Here’s my drum break, which is at the start

6 Likes
4 Likes

Let’s fn go! My drum break (right at the beginning):

(If the link doesn’t work, it’s “Truckers Atlas” by Modest Mouse)

4 Likes

Great theme! I’m a huge fan of library music and would like to give this one a go if I can find time.

Here is my drum break submission, which itself is library music from 1976. :wink:

7 Likes

Oh yeah, I loooove library music, especially Bruton! I’m so in…

I’ll post my breakbeat soon, I’m in the middle of a roadtrip in North Vietnam, wifi is sparse.

@DimensionsTomorrow big fan of Alan Tew as well! There are some crazy samples to flip in this LP.

3 Likes

I don’t know where to start with this one.
There’s so much useable stuff I think I could spend the rest of my days just using that playlist :joy:

4 Likes

And so many nice drum beats in there too, the ones we add are pretty much superfluous… are we allowed to use them too? (To add to the choice overload)

2 Likes

I think this will be my main challenge.

It’s an awesome challenge, but often when I have unlimited choice I end up not doing anything. I didn’t enter the last DnB challenge because it was so wide my mind went blank.

I love this cheesy library music. I have fond memories of Coldcut, BoC and people who have sampled this kind of stuff. It’s possible I might have to stretch my entry into more TripHop territory as that’s the vibe this stuff often awakes in me.

2 Likes

Let me help you, Brian Eno-like:

https://www.random.org/

2 Likes

But have you also considered picking the one with the best title?

3 Likes

The drum beat:

(hope no one has dropped it yet cause I was super lazy in my research)

I have found my favorite Bruton, hope I’ll win against my procrastination :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah definitely a great choice this concept and one things for sure, there’s gonna be a great selection of beats when we’re all done.

I’ve already found two I used already when they were posted on stonesthrow battles about 12 years ago, it was tempting to load em and rework em in Digitakt, but I do wanna do something different

1 Like