Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #10: When We Were 10

Yeah it’s a deceptively simple but very competent plugin, it does excellent time stretch, double/half time, pitch detection and repitch so you can alter the key of a given sample to match your project, chromatic play etc. very powerful…

3 Likes

Done and submitted, listened back to the track a few times and tbh honest I think I’m probably being over critical of myself as usual so I’ve just let go and put it in fyc…

3 Likes

Having now made a start it really is surprising how quick you use 10 chops, I’d be happy with just one more.
Rather like Spinal Tap I wish this one went to 11

1 Like

Yeah sorry! I understand the feeling, but that’s how it goes for this battle

Make a kick out of your snare. Pitch it down. Change the filter and amp envelope settings.

4 Likes

Fair tactic right there. As long as it’s the same original audio.

Edit: but it’s right on the line so don’t push it too much😂

2 Likes

Never really even considered doing that fella, just goes to show the times were living in, I’ve probably got enough kicks sat on my hard drive to last me several lifetimes… nice tip though :+1:

2 Likes

Mine is all line stepping. You’ll like it

3 Likes

I won’t know which one is yours though😂

ah, that reminds me. here’s a scenario. does it comply with the rules?

let’s say i have a 2 bar loop/sample of an old funk break that has drums and bass. does playing it for shorter durations comply, like a couple of stutter notes before kicking in for the full loop? it’s not changing start point at all. the full sample just doesn’t play through to the end or loop, similar to if you played it on pads on the SP or MPC (gated, not free playing).

also, i may not end up doing this anyway, but one of the first things i came up with sounded good with this rough model.

That’s a genius idea, but I’m too far in now and quite like how everything sounds drum-wise I’ve had a couple of ideas now how to adjust things

Dam, i just realised I could have made a hat from the snare too :joy:

1 Like

I think if it’s gated it still counts, but having bass in the break does not!:sweat_smile: only outside drum samples plus the one TV show sample is allowed.

What you’re saying sounds like the “note on” sample playback mode on my MPC.

2 Likes

I won’t make it this time either as I am busy wrapping up a new album for duplication next week and getting my next fake score (inspired by Goblin/Nicolai/Morricone giallo scores) towards completion.

2 Likes

i found this much more challenging than i thought i would. I take it for granted swapping a sample here, moving a start point there. but was quite rewarding in the end.
looking forward to hearing others approaches and obscure sample sources.

1 Like

Ah, so a four-bar drum loop (no bass or instruments) does count as a single sample? That’s good to know (still haven’t started mine).

1 Like

I’m using a 4-bar loop so I hope it counts😂

In all seriousness, the sample length doesn’t matter, as long as it’s only drums or from the Tv sources

1 Like

This makes me feel better. I was worried I was relying too hard on a 4-bar loop in my (unfinished) submission!

2 Likes

I am trying to get something done on my iPad with Koala while traveling. I’m having a lot of fun, but I am not sure if I will be able to submit something on time.

My initial sample selection wasn’t cutting it, so I hope my new choice will bring me better fortune.

At the least, it has been a good excuse to listen to all late 80s early 90s themesongs again :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Submit it, even if you think it sucks! Just do it anyways :slight_smile:

I’ll see your 4 and raise you another 4 :sweat_smile:

1 Like