Elektronauts Hip Hop Battle #27 - Can't Get You Out Of My Head!

Due to recent events in our world and my own personal life I decided to rewatch Adam Curtis docs the last month or so. I always figure, when life presents you with an existential crisis, just go all the way with it!

If you are unfamiliar with Adam Curtis, he is an English filmmaker who uses a very distinctive “collage” style for his documentaries. His style has been described as involving, “whiplash digressions, menacing atmospherics and arpeggiated scores, and the near-psychedelic compilation of archival footage” - Basically he chops and flips archival video the way we love to chop and flip archival audio. If you know you know, if you don’t, I encourage you to watch one or all of them!

Which brings me to the audio. The soundtracks for his films are FANTASTIC! and that will be our source for this battle.

Here are 2 playlists on Youtube, I hope most of the songs are available in your region.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7vsYmM6Ug0iMIfFJ8z0P26oB66tS9Y_2&si=lJbUo5JWaaF2WoC9

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDYsY2LHUkBJsEvXAJE-W59Pf_Zs2Amf1&si=QcxH4RWN3Hl1Ub7A

Here’s the guidelines:

1. All samples must be from the 2 playlists above, or another playlist you may find. There isn’t any “OST”
  2. Use one of the breaks that is posted
  3. You can add bass and drums from what ever source you want
  4. Your song must have an intro with dialog from one of Adam Curtis’ films (up to 30 sec)
  5. Vocals from other sources are allowed, but any acapella used can not be longer than 4 bars.
  6. Please share a drum break to let us know you’re in, but its not necessary. You can still submit a track for the playlist.
  7. EDIT: Please share a track from the playlists above, you can use it if you want. Again not neccasry to participate, but it helps keep the thread bumped!

The deadline will be Dec 31, so I can get the playlist up for the new year!

13 Likes

Nice one @malus_mons
Sounds like a great idea, due to the title for a moment there I thought it was gonna be a Kylie Monogue based challenge.

Looking forward to listening to the playlist later :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

That’s going to be one radical playlist :metal:

6 Likes

Here’s a track from the the playlist I’m digging this morning:

drum breaks galore:

5 Likes

Wow, I love Adam Curtis!

What a great idea.

The only worry is that if I rewatch all of his docs for inspiration I might have a nervous breakdown.

3 Likes

:rofl: Yeah, this. They’re a wtf is going on trip. Also, that’s a lot of hours of tv!

3 Likes

This is going to be a deep dive! :diddly: Can’t believe I’ve never heard about him before, and guess it goes to show you learn something new, everyday! :older_man:

Drum sample:

Hey @malus_mons are we doing anything Adam Curtis related and sharing that as the main sample? Didn’t get the prompt all the way man. Or, are we picking and sharing from the playlist you provided :thinking:

2 Likes

As I understand it:

• post a break of your choosing to say ‘hey I’m in people!’ and to keep the thread front and center in the forum’s algoritm
  • you can select a break from all the breaks that are posted in this thread ( crowd sourcing ftw )
  • select a track ( or tracks ) from the playlists from the first post from the soundtracks of Curtis’ work
  • there are a few other considerations for you to look at

Hope this is clear :wink:

1 Like

@butterfight thank you for your response, but this step kind of threw me off just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a required submission :beers: We’re going to keep this active @malus_mons we have cool cat gifs :muscle:

3 Likes

Sorry for any confusion! Since there is so much material I thought I’d would be cool to share a track or 2 that stood out to you. Might help someone else get inspired. Really the only important rule is to get it to me by the 31st and add some dialogue from one of the films so the playlist will have some continuity. Last few battles have really sounded good as a whole and I want to keep that going!

Summary

@aarb420 yep nobody is running the show anymore. It’s all algorithms and illusions but don’t forget we have all the power, but unfortunately humans don’t believe in “we” just “me”… and the beat goes on. Nothing new under that lazy ol sun

2 Likes

I’ve had Hypernormalization and All Watched Over on my to-watch list for a hot minute, so this is great motivation.

Drum break from “Definitive Gaze” by Magazine (supposedly one of Mark Fisher’s favorite bands)

From the playlists, I’ll go with the Barbara Mandrell song. Not usually a fan of country, but “You must think my bed’s a bus stop/The way you come and go” is an incredible opener, and 70s country always has way more groove than I remember:

3 Likes

Been a while but I think I’ll throw my hat in this time!

Never heard of Adam Curtis but his stuff seems fascinating!

I think I’m going to go with Song for Zula.

This nice break is from my collection (i.e. found it in my files :smile:)

3 Likes

@malus_mons Thanks for clearing that up man, and honestly it was later in the evening the other day, and the brain was mush at that point when asking :beers:

Cool pic, is that you playing at a show? :thinking:

Also, here is my sample choice:

Side note: Harold Budd has a record that I really wanted to pick up a few years ago, until discovering it was close to $200 :loopy: He’s got an album with Brian Eno too, if anyone is into their style/genre.

2 Likes

Here’s 20 minutes of crackly breaks:

4 Likes

I’m in

4 Likes

Here it is my drum brake.

4 Likes

Submitted my beat. Letting you all know, in order to bump this thread :smiley:

5 Likes

I need to attempt to arrange mine (always a problem I have) and find some dialogue but will have something in soon. Hope everyone’s well. Happy Christmas if it’s your thing!

4 Likes

Got the first 2 tracks today! Shoutout @Unifono & @emadb for kicking it off!

The bar is already pretty high, can’t wait to hear what y’all come up with!

4 Likes

Getting entranced watching this documentary man thanks @malus_mons for providing some fresh brain food :baby:

2 Likes