Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 33 | Tarika Blue - Dreamflower

Welcome to another new edition of our bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza!

Thank you all for joining in another week of sampling goodness! Before we get into our artist and track in focus, and in case you aren’t already aware, there are some other Mission Briefs/Challenges currently taking place that you may also fancy spending some time on here:

Happy New Year @everyone! Though the deadline to say that may have gotten stale, I’m wishing everyone here an exciting, opportunity-rich year ahead! We’re all going to achieve great things this year, and with that energy let’s get into our track for this week. “Dreamflower,” is the third track on Tarika Blue’s self-titled album, which was recorded between July, 1976 - March 15, 1977, and released later that year on Chiaroscuro Records (CR-164).

Here is what very little is availble online about Tarika Blue, from last.fm and Allmusic.com:

"In 1976 and 1977 Hank O’Neal produced two LPs by an exceptional young band called Tarika Blue. The leader was a fine pianist/keyboard artist named Phil Clendeninn. He not only led the band, wrote most of the songs, and played any instrument that had a keyboard (with the possible exception of an accordion), but Phil also learned to use every piece of recording equipment in the Downtown Sound control room, engineered a zillion sessions, and taught New School audio engineering classes. In addition, he became a very in demand session player, performing on countless recordings in all genres, including the enormously successful Rolling Stones album, Tattoo You. Maybe there was something in the air back then, but within a relatively short period in the late 60’s and early 70’s, New York City produced some incredibly fresh musical talent, who clearly affected some major changes and significantly influenced the direction of the urban jazz/r&b/funk fusion sound. Among them were Nile Rodgers, Steve Jordan, Onaje Alan Gumbs, James Mason, T.M. Stevens, Dennis Davis, Andy and Jerry Gonzales… many of whom were active at Downtown Sound. Without question, one of the most admired and respected of them all, particularly among musicians, was Tarika Blue leader and keyboardist Phil Clendeninn.

Now, twenty-five years later, Tarika Blue has developed a cult following across the globe. The timelessness and staying power of their music is evident in the fact that Dreamflower was sampled for the entire musical track of Erykah Badu’s platinum hit, Didn’t Cha Know, and it ended up as one of five Grammy award contenders for “R&B Song Of The Year” in 2001. There is still profound appreciation and interest in the music of Tarika Blue, and we’re pleased to reissue both LPs on one CD, and make this the debut release on our new Downtown Sound label. Nothing could be more appropriate. After all, Phil even titled one of his compositions Downtown Sound. Check it out.

Tarika Blue featured several different singers over the years including the wonderful Tequila, who sang with the Tony Williams Lifetime and Lisa Fisher, who would later win a Grammy for “Ease The Pain” in 1991. But it is Dolores Smith and sweet Irene Datcher who are featured on the second album (1977). The first album was entirely instrumental and we made an effort to bring lyrics /vocals to the mix on the second album. Irene’s addition to the music was profound because we needed a singer that could “note” like a horn. Irene found a comfort zone inside the music and was a real inspiration…scatting and soloing along with the band.

“Dreamflower”, which has been sampled by Erykah Badu for a neo-soul, R&B hit (Grammy nominated), was also sampled by a drum ‘n’ bass group in the UK, the Underwolves. All this happens 24-25 years later - it kind of says that music endures and its influence can be as wide and far-flung as the influences that inspired it. “Dreamflower” was written while I was reading JRR Tolkien’s The Fellowship Of The Ring trilogy, which ironically has recently reappeared as a movie epic. “Truth is the Key” is the kind of message song that kind of sums up our vibe at the time."

- Review by Ey_Lix for last.fm

“As much as purists complain about the modern urban music practice of sampling classic tracks, this can also lead to a modern appreciation of great (and sometimes forgotten) music from yesteryear. A short-lived New York-based ensemble led by keyboardist Phil Clendennin, Tarika Blue released two recordings in the late '70s that blended silky jazz fusion sensibilities and the mellow soul sound of the day that’s now considered old-school. Vocalist Erykah Badu rekindled interest in the group by using, without permission, its laid-back tune “Dreamflower” as the background for her platinum hit, “Didn’t Cha Know,” which went on to be nominated for R&B song of the year in 2001. Universal/Motown and Badu later agreed to pay a settlement fee for the sample, and SOS Productions d.b.a. Chiaroscuro Records has launched the new label Downtown Sound as a platform for this compilation of these two original, very appealing recordings. The vibe, influenced by Fender Rhodes, the jangling guitars of Ryo Kawasaki, and the punchy sax of Marvin Blackman, is light and funky in the mode of the Crusaders. Energetic tracks like “Things Spring” are fun despite dated production values, and the instrumental passages and tunes are far superior to the somewhat cheesy, melodramatic vocal segments. You don’t have to know the history to enjoy this blast from the past, but it adds a little color to the experience.”

- Review by Jonathan Widran for allmusic.com

Here are two versions of the track available on YouTube, in case anyone experiences regional playback issues:

Here is a link to the FLAC version of the track and a version that has been converted to 16bit/44.1KHz wav, please delete it after using:

TARIKA BLUE - DREAMFLOWER (FLAC)

TARIKA BLUE - DREAMFLOWER (WAV)

TARIKA BLUE - DREAMFLOWER (STEMS)

links are active for one week from today (01/13/24)

Album Photos:

images from google search

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and even the intelligent gopher from the classic golf themed throwback film, Caddyshack.

Mission:

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

Deadline: Sunday, January 21, 2024

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, January 21, 2024, or be faced with a brief moment of self-loathing for not participating. Submissions entered on later dates are also welcome!

Compensation:

Hearts and compliments from the community
(not guaranteed)

You can use as much or as little of the sample track as you like, you just have to use it. No winners, no losers, just good times!

Every two weeks we will post a track from our record collections, ideally something you’ve not heard before. Jams, full tracks, noodles - share whatever you like!

7 Likes

Here’s a lite remix to a cool song from back in the day. Hard to do much justice to the original, as it feels like a timeless song, but it was fun and nostalgic and a kickstart into 2024 :older_man: Hopefully, @everyone get’s a chance to play with this sample! :beers:

3 Likes

Sounding crisp, laidback and funky @aarb420 :smiley:

Here’s my attempt with a little Smokey Robinson flavour (if ya ear)

8 Likes

Ahhh yeah beautiful banger for this year! '24 knockin down doors is this years slogan as we have to retire the year of the Jordan slams :muscle: Thanks for the kind words man, couldn’t get the vocals to line up ideally, but it felt fun to work on. Your drums are so punchy and delicious amidst that sweet voyage, awesome beat man thanks for sharing :beers:

1 Like

For what its worth, I think the vocals fit really well! The whole thing has got a floaty, jazzy loose vibe that sounds great to me.

1 Like

@looms Thanks man :beers: highly recommend the original version it’s a classic production! Let’s go '24 knockin down doors :muscle:

3 Likes

Great stuff guys and a really nice sample @aarb420 I’ve got my first weekend off since Xmas so I’ll have a chop myself when I get home

3 Likes

@Yabba that’s awesome man looking forward to the future flavors! :beers:

1 Like

Don’t think I’d heard this song before, its nice. Made me pull out the Badu version, did some bad scratches using that and added a few one shots from a DDD-1

4 Likes

Been experincing some 502 gateway errors trying to access the site the past few days and for some extended periods. Has anyone else been experiencing the same?

@NVVI Man that’s cool :beers: on the process and the beat sounds fresh with those DDD-1 one-shots! Thanks for sharing :beers:

1 Like

You can tell it’s not just you because there’s like a 15 hour gap between the current posts and the prior posts when you look at all the topics under “latest”. Maybe I can only see that because I’m on a computer though.

1 Like

@shigginpit right on man I wonder if it’s related to the recent Microsoft hacks :thinking: hopefully you get the time to join in on this challenge man the sample is really fun!

1 Like

this is a great track, you picked a beaut! haven’t heard about any hacks so I don’t know.

1 Like

@shigginpit glad you like it man! Found it a while ago and posted another song from the album in the jazz thread, but didn’t post this track until getting the record :older_man:

Didn’t really look much into the hacks, but I remember seeing news about it. It turns out that some emails got hacked :man_shrugging: Regardless, wishing @Elektron fam is doing well at HQ.

1 Like

I was gonna post something here last night but I was getting bad gateway errors.

Glad I didn’t though as it sounds a bit off this morning :joy:
I’ll do a few tweaks and try it again

1 Like

Great sample @aarb420 there’s so many possibilities with it

5 Likes

@Yabba your song inadvertently became hottest track on the list that couldn’t be listened to because of those gateway errors. Totally worth the anticipation man the way you made the horns play is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing! :beers:

This is seriously a rare one-off album and have no part in any form with the songs listed here btw for what that’s worth, but out of music love I’d recommend grabbing a copy of this album if you’re into vinyl as the supply looks limited for this item. And, it’s a blue record! I wish this band stayed together for more projects back then, for our sake :tongue:

1 Like

Cheers @aarb420 much appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:
And I’ll definitely check out the rest of the album

1 Like

Got one more in, but honestly the Tarika Blue song reminds me of a novel we had to read in elementary school called, The Giver, as it just keeps giving. BIG THANK YOU @everyone for joining in and cramming in a beat within the timeframe, and I know it can be tough to create in such a short timeframe. Everyone made MASSIVE tracks to start this year off fresh and it only sets the precedent for what is to follow :beers:

2 Likes