Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 32 | Vince Guaraldi Trio - O Tannenbaum

Welcome to another new edition of our bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza!

Thank you all for joining in another week of sampling goodness! Before we get into our artist and track in focus, and in case you aren’t already aware, there are some other Mission Briefs/Challenges currently taking place that you may also fancy spending some time on here:

The holiday spirit is in full bloom, and this week there is an extended deadline to accommodate accordingly. “O Tannenbaum,” is the first track on the Vince Guaraldi Trio’s album A Charlie Brown Christmas, which was released October 18, 1977 on Fantasy Records (Fantasy - 85019).

Here are some brief highlights about Vince Guaraldi, and the album, from Wikipedia and Allmusic:

Vincent Anthony Guaraldi (/ɡəˈrældi/; Dellaglio , July 17, 1928 – February 6, 1976) was an American jazz pianist best known for composing music for animated television adaptations of the Peanuts comic strip. His compositions for this series included their signature melody “Linus and Lucy” and the holiday standard “Christmas Time Is Here”. He is also known for his performances on piano as a member of Cal Tjader’s 1950s ensembles and for his own solo career. His 1962 composition “Cast Your Fate to the Wind” became a radio hit and won a Grammy Award in 1963 for Best Original Jazz Composition. He died of a sudden heart attack on February 6, 1976, at age 47, moments after concluding a nightclub performance in Menlo Park, California.

Guaraldi was born in San Francisco’s North Beach area, a place that became very important to his blossoming musical career.[2] His last name changed to “Guaraldi” after his mother, Carmela (née Marcellino; 1908–1999), divorced his biological father (whose last name was Dellaglio) and married Tony Guaraldi, who adopted the boy.[1] Growing up, Guaraldi was influenced by both of his maternal uncles, Joe and Maurice “Muzzy” Marcellino, both of whom headed jazz big bands in San Francisco for many years.[3] He graduated from Lincoln High School,[4] briefly attended San Francisco State College, and served in the United States Army as a cook in Korea from 1946 to 1948.

Guaraldi in 1946

Guaraldi’s first recording was an unreleased demo made with Tom Hart in mid-1951.[5] His first official recording was made in November 1951 with Cal Tjader’s Mambo Trio. The songs—“Chopsticks Mambo”, “Vibra-Tharpe”, “Three Little Words” and “Lullaby of the Leaves”[6]—were released in December 1953 on the 10-inch LP record, The Cal Tjader Trio.[5] By summer 1954, Guaraldi had formed his first trio, with Eddie Duran (guitar) and Dean Reilly (double bass),[7] and regularly performed in the house band at the hungry i jazz club in San Francisco, backing the singer Faith Winthrop.[8]

A Charlie Brown Christmas is the eighth studio album by the American jazz pianist Vince Guaraldi (later credited to the Vince Guaraldi Trio). Coinciding with the television debut of the Christmas special of the same name, the album was released in the first week of December 1965 by Fantasy Records.[1][a]

Guaraldi was contacted by television producer Lee Mendelson to compose music for a documentary on the comic strip Peanuts and its creator, Charles M. Schulz. Although the special went unaired, these selections were released in 1964 as Jazz Impressions of A Boy Named Charlie Brown. Coca-Cola commissioned a Christmas special based on Peanuts in 1965 and Guaraldi returned to score the special.

Guaraldi composed most of the music, though he included versions of traditional carols such as “O Tannenbaum”.[6] He recorded some of the score at Whitney Studio in Glendale, California, then re-recorded some of it at Fantasy Records Studios in San Francisco with a children’s choir from St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in nearby San Rafael. The sessions ran late into the night, with the children rewarded with ice cream afterward.

Bassist Fred Marshall and drummer Jerry Granelli were credited as performing on the album.[6] It was voted into the Grammy Hall of Fame and added to the National Recording Registry of the Library of Congress.
- from www.wikipedia.com

"With the holiday season finally upon us, I thought I’d highlight the best wintertime song collection ever made. There exists no cozier Christmas album than Vince Guaraldi’s soundtrack for “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” Many of my own childhood Christmases were spent decorating the tree while “My Little Drum” played in the background. It makes me want to curl up on the couch with a blanket, a nice book, and a cup of hot tea.

Vince Guaraldi, a pianist from San Francisco, along with bassist Fred Marshall and drummer Jerry Granelli captured the hearts of audiences far and wide with their jazz ensemble for the beloved Peanuts movie. While many of the songs are remakes of Christmas classics, like “O Tannenbaum” and “Christmas Time is Here,” they included original tracks too; the lighthearted grooves of “Linus and Lucy” and “Skating” reveal the tender feelings that the holidays can bring. I love how he used a children’s choir in many of the songs to capture the childlike wonder of Christmastime.

What makes this album special is how accurately it reflects the mixed emotions that surround Christmastime. I thought this was fantastic considering how Charlie Brown, the unfortunate, old soul that he is, struggles with “the Christmas Spirit” throughout the whole movie. Each song holds both the joy of childhood holiday memories and the sadness that can accompany Christmas in adulthood. It reaches across age boundaries and is still enjoyed today, 55 years later.

Need a bit of holiday cheer and cozy comfort? Give it a listen!"
- Review by DJ Butter for wknc.org

Here are two versions of the track available on YouTube, in case anyone experiences regional playback issues:

Here is a link to the FLAC version of the track and a version that has been converted to 16bit/44.1KHz wav, please delete it after using:

VINCE GUARALDI - O TANNENBAUM (FLAC)

VINCE GUARALDI - O TANNENBAUM (WAV)

VINCE GUARALDI - O TANNENBAUM (STEMS)

links are active for one week from today (12/23/23)

Album Photos:

images from google search

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and even the numerous and overstaffed exhausted elves in Santa’s workshops from The Santa Clause movie franchise, starring Tim Allen.

Mission:

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

Deadline: Sunday, January 3, 2024 (extended)

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, January 3, 2024, or be faced with a brief moment of self-loathing for not participating. Submissions entered on later dates are also welcome!

Compensation:

Hearts and compliments from the community
(not guaranteed)

You can use as much or as little of the sample track as you like, you just have to use it. No winners, no losers, just good times!

Every two weeks we will post a track from our record collections, ideally something you’ve not heard before. Jams, full tracks, noodles - share whatever you like!

9 Likes

Cheers :beers: to you @aarb420!

This is probably one of the most vibey recordings of all time

3 Likes

Wow.

I feel that growing up with this, it was something special. Along with all the jazz guitar in Mr. Rodgers.

Today I feel that exposure to this level of musicianship is lost to today’s yeuts.

I don’t think I want to mangle this with my clubbed fingers on a sampler. I love it too much to burn this song by going over and over chops.

But the next one…. It’s gonna be go time.

Merry Christmas @aarb420 and @malus_mons and @Juniper_Steels

5 Likes

Same to you! And keep on putting in the work, I dig listening to your journey over on your thread…
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Happy all of the holidays to @everyone regardless of nationalities or beliefs, and thank you all who are here, and all who showed up before, for supporting these challenges for so long. It’s hard to imagine that this year went by so weirdly, almost like it didn’t happen, but I hope that the year ahead brings us all great opportunities, lots of laughter, and phat sounds for us all. It has been a most fun journey traveling with you all and wishing that this new year ahead brings all of the finest things in life that are of each of your hearts’ desires! :beers:

STEMS LOCATED BELOW :santa:

updated link 12/24/23

4 Likes

Thanks for the support! I’m trying to put in a good amount before next semester.

I had some scheduling issues with the GI Bill and have to load up a bigger than full time schedule.

But it’s gonna be a transformative semester.

I’m taking an ensemble class and I’m going to be playing piano, with the instructor being a working jazz musician.

And I’m also taking a mixing class in Protools. With a touch of mastering as well.

So next year I’m going to be BUSY! But I will come out of it fully realized as a true musician in my eyes.

I wonder how committing this fully will change my music, so I’m glad you see what I’m doing on my thread. It’s like a cool experiment that I’m documenting.

I really appreciate you listening!

3 Likes

I’m learning this on the piano at the moment!

3 Likes

7 Likes

Vince Guaraldi is an all time favorite, happy holidays all!

Was anyone able to download the stem for instrumental or “other”? I tried to grab them and they both errored out, everything else worked though.

2 Likes

@malus_mons uplifting groove man! That switch at the end is :fire: and has a pleasant ending with the horns. Thank you for sharing man! :beers:

@shigginpit thank you for bringing that up man, there is an updated link in the OP and below, and hope you have some time to join in for some end of the year merry samplage :older_man: Happy holidays! :beers:

2 Likes

Wishing you all a warm and lovely holidays ahead with your loved ones, and big :beers: to @everyone! May you all have a lovely time celebrating :santa:

6 Likes

A little late sharing my attempt, but something I put together while visiting family. My first time using Koala to make anything, added some Jann Arden vocals because someone received a novel of hers as a gift

Happy new year everyone

2 Likes

@NVVI Nice track it sounds like a trip down a dark road, and those vocals came out really clean! Thanks for sharing :beers:

Also, thank you @everyone who was able to attend for joining in during a busy holiday season, and I hope everyone had a wonderful time bringing in the new year! Though this year started off with several unfortunate events, may we all collectively move towards a more positive future, and create several delicious tracks along the way, together :beers: Thank you all again for your continued support and for keeping our ears and minds well fed with delicous noise! :nyan:

2 Likes