Elektronauts Hip hop battle 24 - Hans Zimmer

Welcome back. Time to get epic and eclectic as we kick off the next round.

@Ooly and I will be hosting and bringing a feast of sound to dig into

Hans zimmer is a composer known for combining electronic music with orchestration. He is a multi-instrumentalist, and is not shy on originality, experimentation, and collaboration. From what I understand he does not have classical training and cannot read sheet music, yet he has decades of experience composing for a significant number of major films and animation as well as television series. Even if you are not familar with him there is a strong chance you have heard his music, which has had a wide reach - He has created music for sports anthems, world news, awards shows, and even created the sounds for BMW evā€™s

He got started playing keyboards and synthesizers, has worked with bands, was a known to use the Fairlight CMI on his early film work (which i believe was the instrument that coined the term ā€˜samplerā€™)

Looks like we will have a great variety to choose from so letā€™s try to narrow our focus to his compositions, and not use something where he was featured as a musician, synth programmer, or producer. Try to pick something that he has a heavier hand in arrangement and composition

Whether this type of movie score sound is to your taste or not, this should make for interesting material for sample sources

Rules as follows:

ā€¢ Each participant should post a YT link to a song by Hans Zimmer

ā€¢ Additionally Each participant should post a short drum break or one shot drum

ā€¢ You may not use the song, or sample that you posted in your track

ā€¢ You may use additional one shot drums, but not breaks

ā€¢ You may only use synths, or additional melodic samples for Bass

ā€¢ No acappellas (Use of vocals sampled from a submitted track is ok)

ā€¢ Max track length 2:30

ā€¢ If you donā€™t make the track submission deadline you may still participate using the existing tracks

ā€¢ Scoring will be the traditional top 3 format and only participants may vote

One more thing:
Optional, but not required: you are allowed to use pieces of Dialouge as extra samples as long as they are sourced from films that Hans Zimmer was the composer

Samples should be posted by: Sunday 3rd of September (Midnight GMT)
Tracks should be completed and submitted by Sunday 17th Setpember (Midnight GMT)

Please submit by DMing @Ooly MP3s, or Wavs (in a format that can be easily downloaded) with the track name as your username.

Newcomers and lurkers are welcome, please come and join us

Feel free to ask any questions if any clarification is needed and letā€™s have fun with this

13 Likes

Drum break is at 3:16

8 Likes

Nice one guys.

However I will say I shamefully havenā€™t much knowledge of Zimmers music regarding what he has done so Iā€™ll be randomly looking for something.
I think that might be the problem when we are asked to post our own samples regarding a theme we donā€™t know much about so apologies if I post something not overly classic or useable

I think the battles with the biggest turnouts have been those where you have a theme and a supplied playlist connected to that theme so everyone has the best of that artist/concept to choose from immediately

Although Iā€™m also eager to get started and so far we have one track so there may be some selfishness in the last paragraph so ignore me :joy:

Nice one again and Iā€™ll have a search later

2 Likes

Hans Zimma - who made the sounds for my bimma?

4 Likes

After just the briefest search I apparently know more about his music than I thought I did and posting a playlist wouldā€™ve been huge. so shame on me.
Damn I didnā€™t know he was that prolific.

I would sample this at the drop of a hat if I could so i hope someone gets some use from it

And drumbreak

5 Likes

@1-2 neat topic man and Iā€™m looking forward to the musical journeys that weā€™re about to witness, as a result :muscle:

@Yabba youā€™re not alone, man :rofl: I used to see this OGā€™s name get slung around here often and I never dove deep into old composers. Actually, I have a second-hand bad taste in my mouth about composers from how Frank Zappa was treated as a young man trying to enter that field. Silly, but itā€™s there.

Just looked at Zimmermanā€™s discography and itā€™s LARGE :exploding_head: Iā€™m going with this as my submission as it sounds like one long song! Going to have to give this movie a watch, at some point :older_man:

Drums (sample @ 3:05)

Good luck everybody, and may the universe bless you all with extra flaves :beers:

5 Likes

:laughing: this somehow made me imagine beenie man with a german accent :grimacing:

2 Likes

Rappers will be stealing this line, but thatā€™s okay, you heard it here first.

Finally a chance to let it out. Phew, what a relief.

1 Like

Here are my suggestions.

Soundtrack

Drum break (first 38 seconds)

5 Likes

A couple of thoughts:
I havenā€™t actually done much sampling outside of these challenges. I am using them as a way to learn and have a lot of fun along the way, so at least for me I donā€™t really care what anyone puts up as thier choice to go into the sample material mix.

It doesnā€™t have to be a great track or even great to sample from. Iā€™ll sample anything and try to make it work. I am confident there is likely to be good material to work with whatever people choose throw up to sample from. And I think we will all hear new music to us with people putting up random tracks for us to use

One thing that is in our favor here is many of these will be sparse or free from drums, vocals and other elements that would make the sample more difficult to work with/less flexible and wonā€™t be as tied to much to bpm or anything restrictive.

As far as turnout; letā€™s get as many people in on this as we can.

If you or anyone else wants to @ anyone who might miss this and would want to get in so previous and possible battle participants can find it that would be a plus

If we donā€™t get too many entries we can always put up some extra zimmer tracks to expand the mix of possible sample choices for everyone to use

I donā€™t have much knowledge of the music either but I bet we will get some great stuff brought to the table

Just had a quick scan listen to a couple things put up so far and I think weā€™re off to a good start

This little write up is not specific to you, just some thoughs to anyone on openness to the battle and that there is no pressure on what anyone wants to bring for thier sample source track

Also great to have you back on this one

3 Likes

I still think Hans stole (parts of) the melody for the Rainman theme from Bernie Worrell. Prove me wrong. :wink:

Good artists borrow, great artists steal, so thereā€™s that.
Letā€™s say inspired by.
Hans is a giant. :muscle:

ā€¦ sorry if this is too off-topic! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Thanks buddy :slightly_smiling_face:
No this idea is fantastic ignore me I should have done the google search first before I posted haha
I only get time to work on stuff at the weekend mostly so I can be over eager sometimes when the weekend arrives which is purely my bad.

Nice one again, great choice of artist

1 Like

Never a bad time to bring up Bernie Worrell and very on topic in the hiphop corner.

Juicy fruit went on to turn into one of hiphops biggest tracks, just flashlight alone (one of the all time greatest synth basses imo) and so many others tracks have been sampled so many times its ridiculous. Itā€™s like a cornerstone for a lot of hiphop

Recently saw p-funk 50th aniv tour and it was like returning to the womb of so many classic hip hop samples, of course it was not quite the same without Worrell there.

Hip hop might not have been the same without the Worrell wizardry bringing us the funk
( we want it) got to have it

Also for anyone who hasnt seen it, check him out on the stop making sense movie, really great to watch him in that too

4 Likes

Well the slightly sad thing about it is that we must assume that Bernie wasnā€™t particularly rich either. Snakes in the industry (ā€¦not talking about Hans).

Zimmer: ā€œThe Mapā€ from Muppet Treasure Island

Drum Break: Buddy Miles, ā€œPaul B. Allen, Omaha, Nebraskaā€

(There are 4 or 5 breaks in the span of a minute, from 3:10 on. Take your pick)

5 Likes

Hakuna Matata yā€™all!

Drum break

And since the mothership connection was mentioned and funk is for healing, and we are all sons of the P, I just wanted to share some peak P-Funk:

Edit: you know what has always bothered me about the ā€œsynth communityā€ or whatever you call it, is how guys like Zimmer (generally white and European) are idolized with their wall of modular synth from the seventies and presented as ā€œpioneersā€ in electronic musicā€¦,

Bernie Worrell had the 2nd minimoog ever made yā€™all, in like 1968. He was a genius and way too talented and had too much soul to bleep an bloop. He shaped modern music for 3 decades with synths. Rant over :v:

9 Likes

Love that drum break, I was mad surprised when I found out two of the musicians on that Siffre album were Chas & Dave.

Not sure that reference will mean anything to anyone outside of the UK but Iā€™m sure itā€™ll surprise those that arenā€™t

3 Likes

Great theme.

Hopefully Iā€™ll join in this time.
Iā€™ve been suffering a bit of mojo failure recently.

4 Likes

And

5 Likes

Pahahha thatā€™s an amazing bit of triviaā€¦ made my day that hasā€¦ itā€™s a great album, hard to believe chas and Dave had a hand in Eminemā€™s my name isā€¦

1 Like