Elektronauts Beat Battle #21 Library Music - Voting and Feedback

I was #5

Stoked to have come second on such a quality list!

Well deserved congrats to @Yabba that was a :fire: beat.

Also @Kuro for number 7 which was my top pick and whoever did number one the production on that was just stellar!

A few people asked me questions about my track in the comments so I’ll do a breakdown at some point.

7 Likes

that was me, thanks for the positive feedback.
Loved your beat, very creative

5 Likes

Congrats @Yabba, @monquixote, and @Unifono! And a strong tracklist from everyone. Thank you @flippantminister for the great theme and for running it.

Mine was #2. For this beat, I pulled:
–Chords and synth lead from “Frontiers of Science”
–Main drum break from “Good Folks” by Bodacious DF
–Extra cymbals from “We’re So Happy” by Medeski Martin & Wood
–Extra bass written with FM on my M8

This is the most “play the chops” beat I’ve done, locking slices to a scale and stumbling into phrases I liked via transposition. I’m glad the fuzzed-out sound and the switchups worked for some of you!

The mud you all pointed out comes from the synth leads I think, where I didn’t chop off the ends of the sample. I wanted those ends for the big buildup, but the main loop didn’t need them. So it goes.

5 Likes

Thanks guys, appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

@Kuro Yeah sure, it’s actually way simpler than it sounds as a track I guess.
It’s all made on Digitakt on two patterns.

First pattern is the intro which was originally going to be my main beat, and the last note purely by chance fit with the start of my 2nd pattern main beat.
Once I noticed that, I set the last note of the first pattern to loop the tail at the end so it blended in from one pattern to the other quite nicely when switched.

The main beat is this, if you slow it down a lot to minus 8 semitones it should sound familiar.

I chopped and repeated part of it, filtered it, then looked for stuff to layer over.
The horn sounds were from different records, one was from one of the brass albums and the stabs were from the fanfare album I think, I was just randomly skipping through stuff to sample to put over my main beat and tuned em up to fit.

The bass was a part I can’t remember.
I filtered a part that had a clean heavy bass sound and played it in chromatic mode on Digitakt to make a bassline.

Be good to hear what yourself and everyone else used too. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Wtf… it sounds so much more expressive slowed down and with the extra accentuation. Thanks for sharing Yabba👍

3 Likes

I think that it would fall to @monquixote or @Unifono. But I’m down to do it if they don’t want to. I’ve got an idea that I think would be fun.

2 Likes

For #9 everything was sampled, chopped, tuned, resampled and arranged on the sp 404 mk2

@DimensionsTomorrow ‘s break called scenechange inspired me to use that as the backbone for the track as it has the tempo change. Split it in half for a start.
Had to use two different banks for that with different tempos on the sp404, fused those together with pattern chaining, but couldn’t resample the pattern chain without the sequencer messing up the chain since it contained the two tempos, kind of interesting i guess it’s a bug.

Bruton sources;

• Samples from Tempus fugit bri2 and voices in harmony brh6 for the intro.
  • Used koala stem splitter only to isolate the bassline found on ‘tomorrows world’. Br21
  • Chants and horns come from mexico/american indian music brr21.

So both main samples are from 21 records😂

And of course ATCQ the scenario acapella to introduce the tribe!

7 Likes

I already did the James Bond battle recently :slightly_smiling_face: It‘s @monquixote‘s turn I suggest

Of course I‘m super fine with @doug hosting as well :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m game.

I’ll have a ponder for a theme.

7 Likes

My Track Was Number 5

Made with Serato running under Bitwig

My track is based around Cloud Patterns from Odyssey it’s a very cool piece of music.

I took the idea of building up parts around it and then removing the original sample so the sample only actually appears at the end. It was an idea from an interview with Fred Again.

The horror choir is from In Close Harmony from Voices in Harmony processed through Tremolator and then chopped and pitch shifted to follow the chord progression

The irritating jingles are from “Vocal Jingles” processed by Stemroller. I used Shaperbox to turn the “Smile” sample into a rhythm bed. This might be the most obnoxious and crass record I’ve ever heard which is why I had to sample it and juxtaposing it with a horror theme was too good to miss.

I used drums from the posted breaks:

Other than that there are some one shot drums and a bass drone provided by Dune 3 (Which I still think is the best soft synth ever)

I was quite happy with the first half, but I really wanted it to take off when the break came in, but I found it just sounded a bit “weak” and I couldn’t get it quite how I wanted, maybe I should have used a different drum sample.

Thanks for all the votes and kind words it was very much appreciated.

6 Likes

So that’s how you got that nice evolution! Man that’s great intel, learning a lot of new tricks this battle🙏

2 Likes

Congrats @Yabba, @monquixote, and @Unifono :sunglasses: @everyone too, because there is so much flavor residing in this challenge. Big props for always making me sweat on the first play!

My beat is #4 and I sampled the large break @monquixote was kind enough to share, along with the first track of Way Ahead (lazily, as others seemed to have done the same haha :beers:) by Trevor Barstow, titled “Scenic Route.”

It’s such a happy song that I couldn’t resist sampling it, and those Downtown Boogie Woogie Band breaks were a joy to jam along to. I also just rediscovered the lo-fi fx on OT after forgetting about it’s character, which is why the beat is so destroyed. I actually had been working on this mix of MF Doom’s Doomsday after playing with it for our challenge with @natehorn the entire time and was more focused on lining up Doom’s vocals to the track, and admittedly sent my beat past deadline :innocent:

heads up: :pinching_hand: lil harsh, so try to listen low vol

Looking forward for what is to come on the next round! Hopefully, @flippantminister has only but embarked on a brief but inspirational spiritual journey and is in mint condition :cowboy_hat_face:

7 Likes

Congrats to @Yabba, @monquixote, @Unifono! And hat tip to everyone who submitted. This was an awesome playlist that demonstrated so much technical and creative chops.

Reveal time: I was beat #11. Also, all of you have the (dubious?) distinction of being the first humans outside of my wife and kids to have listened to any of my homemade music, which is why I’m extra grateful to everyone who provided feedback.

All sampling, slicing, re-pitching, arranging done on the M8 and the near-final beat fed into SP404mk2 to “play” the FX as it recorded, and then exported and sent straight to our host! Unfortunately, as many of you pointed out, my track was too quiet and lacked punch. I have much to learn about mixing and mastering.

Orchestral samples from the Bruton Wall Street Megalithic track.
Drum break from the posted The UB’s Synthetic Substitution.

Looking forward to the next battle!

Thanks again to @flippantminister for hosting, hope all is well in your world given the sudden radio silence.

6 Likes

enjoyed listening to these, well done nauts!!!

6 Likes

Congrats to the winners ! Very solid beats !

3 Likes

If you enjoyed this battle #22 is ready for signup: Elektronauts Hip Hop Battle #22 - Def on the Nile

3 Likes

Mine was #12; made it in 2 hours on deadline night in ableton.

6 Likes

Nicely done, great beat.
You mentioned you made another one you didn’t submit.
Did you change your mind at the last minute?
I find myself doing things like that and sometimes end up using my original beat as an intro

1 Like

I was 8. Also last minute. And I did end up using the previous go as the intro (even though it didn’t really fit with it). Samples taken from wildlife and a few of the other albums but used somewhat subtly and out of context from the sources. Drums from two or 3 break bits mashed up together. Got a quick resampled pattern from when I was first testing them in the first project (which had some issues for sure). Used it just as a quick placeholder test part, but I did not have time swap or improve that as I was getting down to the minute to submit.

Thanks for anyone who left a comment, esp the people who called out the sq issues. I was aware it was pretty off on some freqs and dynamic and I appreciate the honesty and straightforwardness when something is amiss. Being a little critical along with all the praise here helps us all grow.

Sorry for the big jump in volume and harsh tones, I knew I ran out of time to fix & mix my low vol track and carelessly through a maximizer on it in a rush :rofl:

I think its great that so many people left comments for every track this time!

@twobears respect for putting yourself out there. It was the same for me with these battles last year. Welcome aboard and hope you stick around with us, great people here in this niche and a great place to learn.

Appreciation to the absent host @flippantminister - who is hopefully doing well

Congrats again to @Yabba & @Unifono and big ups @monquixote for getting a top tier beat and hosting the next one

7 Likes

I used serato sampler for the sample flip.
I used a drumbreak provided for the battle and layered it with one shot drums from maschine.
I played bass guitar on top of it

Arranged and mixed in ableton

Congrats again to the winners, and thanks to all for the playlist!

Thanks to the host!!

5 Likes