Elektronaughts Hip Hop Battle #23 - Love is Light and Light is Free

Was thinking about people who are mostly or totally hardware based and how putting full verses might be an extra challenge. When I had just a digitakt I would route my phone into it via usb and start the acapella, to get the beat going I would do the classic hip hop trick of holding stop while pushing play on the one a few times, that usually synced it up pretty well.

Anyone else have any techniques they want to share for adding long verses to an all hardware setup? besides using an OT or MPC which make it easier.

1 Like

I’ve done it a bunch of times with my Digitakt. I think it winds up sounding better than when I’ve tried to mix vocals in the DAW.

The trick is to split the acapella into chunks. So maybe 1 or 2 samples for verse 1, another sample for the chorus, and so on. I usually speed samples up by about 5.19 semitones before I record them anyway to save space. And that carried over when I’m working with an acapella. In this case, I would import them with Transfer since I don’t want to normalize all of the samples individually.

From there I put them on a track the same way I would any other sample. If works out really well. I find that it’s easier to make those slight adjustments I might need to make to get everything hitting on the beat just the way I want to. Obviously the rhymes will have been written to a different beat so if you change that up then the rapper’s flow is going to fall a little differently on it even if the tempo is matched perfectly.

Also, a lot of times it’s hard to get the BPM exactly right since a lot of people’s beats are like 98.3 BPM instead of just 98 or something like that.

If you’re going the phone route then I think that using something like Koala sampler would probably be best. If I were trying this then I would connect to the phone over USB. And I would have the headphone out from my phone connected to the line in on the Digitakt. I would set the Digitakt to just send MIDI and no audio over USB. That way I would be able to trigger the vocals and run them through the Digitakt’s FX. I could also use the microtiming to account for any latency.

That doesn’t work for me because Koala no longer works on my phone. But if you’ve got an iphone or an iPad then Koala probably runs fine.

So yeah, I hope that helps. Personally, I’ll be good.

5 Likes

Thanks @Doug! That is a great technique especially since you can take advantage of the DTs pattern based workflow and change the sound of each verse slightly (or by a lot!). Like using the filter or adding distortion etc.

5 Likes

I’m on holiday next week for two weeks I was going take my laptop to make some beats but I think the Mrs might punch me if I don’t give it a rest for a couple of weeks, but still looking forward to what you guys come up with :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

The only person that can stop your reign of dominance: Mrs. @Yabba!

2 Likes

Haha yeah I ain’t messing with her :joy:

2 Likes

Acappella:

Drum break:

4 Likes

@malus_mons Silly question, and I seem to have overindulged the greenest of cabbage whilst reading, but is it possible to sample any track from Mama’s Gun, or are we supposed to focus on the single track that you shared in the OP? :older_man:

1 Like

Sample one track or sample multiple, no rules! Just make sure it’s :fire::fire::fire::fire:

“Didn’t cha know” is the probably my all time cabbage burner track, it’s one of the stickiest ickiest bangers ever recorded.

1 Like

@malus_mons dope, that’s lovely :beers:

This is such a great album and thanks for putting me on to it through this challenge :muscle: ridiculously clean, phat grooves from beginning to end, and the lyrics hit pretty hard despite the smooth nature of the album. Lots of flavor to inspire/use!

1 Like

Acapellla

4 Likes

Beats

4 Likes

And thanks for directing me towards this album. Had forgot about it and going to be my listening for tomorrow

Edit
@malus_mons
Hi, sorry only done one of these before and it was a while back but do I pm you the track when finished? As a wav?

1 Like

Yeah bud, link to an uncompressed wav is the best way to get them to me

1 Like

Perfect, cheers

1 Like

Well now we are going to know which one is yours! Do whatever you like, but usually we keep ‘em short for the fact that we are all going to listen through a few times and time is our most precious resource

2 Likes

That is true buddy, but also bear in mind that the Soundcloud is limited for time so you need to have enough space to fit all the beats on.

Oh yeah that’s a good point, you mean Elektron doesn’t pay for us to have a Pro account? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Haha yeah they are taking absolute liberties not doing that :joy:

2 Likes

Acapella:

Break (drum solo from 11:45 until 13:23 or so)

4 Likes