Elektron take on modular

All you really need is pwr, osc, amp, env, and a output. maybe an lfo also. analog keys can handle the rest.

here’s a little example. [/quote]
If I were to start a modular today it would probabably been with something like this:
http://pittsburghmodular.com/system-101-plus/
A great sounding mono synth on its own that can be expanded with more crazy or esoteric modules down the road. The Pittsburgh Modular stuff is what I happen to be familiar with, but there are probably many other complete solutions like this.

yes pittsburghmodular is great. I love how rich and thick their oscillators sound. :+1:

Umm whats the A4 and AK :zonked: duck soup?

Oh no! I think that’s a poor decision. I think modulars are very personal and each module should be picked for a specific purpose. Everyone I know who has bought a full system (except the MN one :P) has sold most of the pieces in a few months. I say: take your time, do your research and buy slowly.

You’ll need a case and power to start with. If you’re strapped for cash but really want to jump in, you can even start with 1 module like Braids which has a VCA built in (NB: most modules DON’T have that). You can then use the CV from you A4/AK to do the rest (1 pitch, 1 gate, 1 env, 1 lfo for example). Or, you can buy an Intellijel Atlantis which is an “all-in one” synth. Normally I stay clear from those, but that Atlantis really is a monster!

Umm whats the A4 and AK :zonked: duck soup?[/quote]
I mean, like a 16 part poly :slight_smile:

Its better to start with a minimal set up. You should go to a music shop that has modular set up and ask questions and play before you buy.

1 Like

I see no reason why anyone would bash modular (or integrated synths for that matter)…they may be slightly different animals but they are still of the same species. :slight_smile:

I like using both (together even).

1 Like

Bumping this thread. The last post was in 2015 and now that’s it’s 2018 and we have seen a pretty substantial boom in modular (not to mention some of the bigger names out there starting to get into the game), I think it would be interesting to see what Elektron would do in the eurorack format.

I’d love to have a multi-voice sequencer with conditional trigs, p-locks, etc.

1 Like

OK, but to hell with Euro… Let’s discuss Elektron and bananas! :wink:

Kidding… kind of…

yea I have friends with both Elektron and modular gear. My start is with a tiny semi modular MN 0-coast and works great with my Analog 4 over CV.

I am not ready to drop huge amounts on a full blow Eurocrack setup but would love a small lunchbox with a few special modules. I think Eurorack has endless options compared to the last generation and current digital preset synthesizers. The hands on feel is fun.

1 Like

o-coast is rad. i love the make noise function. great shapes. and the optomix is a must have.

there are lot’s of really great sounding and unique sound sources. you really don’t need a lot to get a very wide variety of sounds. also, you can get the slim 2hp utility modules and have just about all the functions of a complex modular in a prety tiny space. a few core modules like a complex oscillator of some kind, complex modulator, good filter and a VCAs and either a good sequencer or some way of integrating something you already own and you can really make something interesting.

takes time to learn a bit and get over some hurdles but once you have that “ah ha” moment things get demystified pretty quickly. there’s lot’s of good wuad modules out there where you get four of something in a small space. more on the way as well.

i’d welcome elektron into modular but i’m not sure the market is big enough for them… it’s still growing and lot’s of people are making a living doing it or supplementing another income but elektron could do something smart and small to enter. a nice drum synth voice or something.

even u-he is getting into making modules. superbooth is going to be fun again this year w/some nice reveals.

the thing about eurorack is it can get as weird as it wants. there’s so much variety. lot’s of innovation and users who want to do weird things or make noise or drones or something else… there’s a market for lot’s of interesting and fringe ideas and small one or two person operations.

3 Likes

If they had a go I think Elektron would at least bring a few new ideas into euro, rather than cloning existing modules

1 Like

yea just with the 0-coast I am creating lot of new sounds and the elektron gear is great as well to layer on effects like delay and reverb which really enhance the 0-coast

1 Like

Vertical filming really grinds my gears. /ot

2 Likes

Yeah I am looking to get a new camera to fix the issues since iphone does not convert to the 16:9 format well. Stay tuned. That and building a completely new YT channel.

Just hold it horizontally :wink:

Does not work there is an issue with iphone 6+ no matter what I do. I am getting a real video camera that shoots in 16:9 format for YT channel.

Holy crap. This project slipped my radar. Thanks for posting

Rotation lock is on. Must be the ludes.

huh?

1 Like