Elektron take on modular

I have no need for Elektron to do eurorack modules. There is so much stuff to choose from already.

The A4 and OT are already great in combo with a modular, so perhaps an even more specialized box for modular owners would make business sense? A “Modtracker” fx/cv-sequencer box with loads of CV ins and outs, multiple digital effects and +/-10v audio ins and outs for each fx? So that one could sequence the modular from the box, patch the audio into an effect, back into the modular, back to another fx in the box, etc.

I bought my Elektron boxes because they were useful companions to my modular. Perhaps a dedicated device would attract even more people?

pretty much what i think.

i could imagine a first elektron machine that produces no sound at all and has no fx.
my “dream machine” would be:

a MIDI/CV sequencer/control unit
lot´s of cv ins/outs
lot´s of sync options
more than one MIDI out
two different MIDI sequencer types: one step OT-like sequencer/one midi track recorder (for chords or piano/keys without limited track length)
a nice arranger.
not too expensive.

before the A4 came out i somehow hoped that would be the next elektron product.

^
CIRKLON

Ok, doesn’t meet the ‘not too expensive’ requirement :slight_smile:

thought about the cirklon, …
but can you actually record a piano/keys performance with it, for example ?
i never read the manual, because of the price…

Hey

Thanks everyone for jump in and share your thoughts

I was not defending modular against those awesome Elektron Boxes, i consider myself an Elektron fan and love the way they approach music workflow (the best way to get excelent results quick, to me)

I surely agree with those that claim Modular vs Elektron Boxes as flowing around sound design without focus vs getting things done. But isnt that enjoying music after all? one way or the other.

Also see why some people state that modular is putting your wallet one step away from the abyss.

But my point wasnt one or the other… Lately, despite what some are saying here, i think we have seen some pretty impressive and interesting modules emerge, some companies are approaching modular in an all new way and i think thats great!
Of course its a trend but despite that, there’s nothing stopping companies to bring something different to the table… in the end all that matters is that we get to have more tools to enjoy music.

When i started this thread the ideia was only speculating about what would be the take of elektron on this, just because to me they’re still one of the most innovative and exciting companies on the market, surely can see why some say that there are other priorities right now or that theres is no interest for them to go that route…

… but it was interesting to see Modular the Elektron Way! :alien:

Cheers
Gonçalo

Where do you start with modular, anyway? It seems really intimidating, although I would love something to use with my Analog Keys’ CV track.

Yep.

thought about the cirklon, …
but can you actually record a piano/keys performance with it, for example ?
i never read the manual, because of the price…
[/quote]
Yeah as Peter says, no problem!
Spend some time with manual & see what you think, it’s an absolutely brilliant machine. There’s a lifetime of possibilities in it :slight_smile:
Of course it depends what you’re trying to acheive, but, if you want to break out of the 64 step limitation, have different divisions, indulge in inter track events, be able to force to scale/mode, have one of the tightest clocks out there, 5 midi in/out & 16 cv outputs + 8 gate outputs then this is the shizzle!

2 Likes

true
i think it will happen to all companies … and FM will be the next step - user-friendly implemented … and it will be once again Yamaha :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Kind of in the same boat - and there are FAR too many videos online of modular gear being used for electronic farts and bleeps. But there are some gems that are great to watch (Bastl’s modular system sounds amazing).
A nice simple starting point would be to keep an eye on the new Roland System 1m and modules. That plus a few choice eurorack modules seems like as easy a route into the modular world as any to me. And not too expensive either.

1 Like

Kind of in the same boat - and there are FAR too many videos online of modular gear being used for electronic farts and bleeps. But there are some gems that are great to watch (Bastl’s modular system sounds amazing).
A nice simple starting point would be to keep an eye on the new Roland System 1m and modules. That plus a few choice eurorack modules seems like as easy a route into the modular world as any to me. And not too expensive either.[/quote]
As a noob who just started out, and owning an ak - I started with things to add to the capabilities of my elektron and stick to the style of music I am already making. Digital osc, fx, and utilities. Each thing ive bought adds a little something to what I can already do - whilst being open to future experimentation as I expand.

1 Like

Whats wrong with bleeps and farts? :alien:

http://project1404.com/monolith2/

“Monolith is a framework that turns your Elektron Octatrack into a multi-oscillator modular monophonic synthesizer based on wavetable synthesis, that benefits from a deep integration with the acclaimed Elektron sequencer.”

2 Likes

It’s kinda funny to read at Elektronauts that modular users are hipsters with beards, glasses etc. and are not able to use their expensive gear properly …I have often read these things about Elektron users on different forums since years. I thought that this point of view was wrong (overgeneralising and oversimplyfying) and the same goes for the modular users.

Elektron machines can be a money pit too (since when are they not boutique machines which are addictive because they are amazing?) and many (not all) YT-vids with Elektron machines show more or less conservative technoid tunes without coming close to using the potential of the Elektron machines. I am fine with that since it is not my business to judge how other ppl invest their time and money.

Having said that as a user of Elektron machines and of a Eurorack modular system I am a bit surprised about the majority of the reactions here. It’s true that Eurorack is trendy atm and there will be a time when things change. And this obvious truth is relevant for the topic of the OP…how? Anyway…if you check Muffwiggler you will see that when ppl are asking about how to start their first rack the usually do not get the answer: “Buy the brandnew fancy hypermodule for 1000 dollars or else you are not part of our hipster-community”. In fact quite alot Wigglers have a healthy sense of self-irony (also with regard to “fart sounds” and “bleeps and bloops”).

2 Likes

Neat, thanks for the link.

Love my Elektrons, love my modular!
Also it’s interesting to note the amount of ex EU & ex Elektronauts populating Muffs these days!!!
Anyone whose been around for a while will recognise a lot of folk over there!!!

love my OT and love my eurorack system which has greatly improved certain ways of working for me and i’ve learned so much about modular systems in general that i can apply to other working environments.

modular systems in general are really exciting to me… be they hardware or software… max/msp or numerology… etc etc…

eurorack has exploded for 5+ years now and is still not near peaking imo. as certain things get solved (decent and affordable cases with good power that makes it easy for the uninitiated to connect modules w/confidence of not blowing them up) more people get educated i think we’ll see more modular systems for lot’s of different purposes.

it’s very accessible for someone w/an idea to make that thing a reality and build a module and have a market for it…

the fact that there are something like 80 or 90 manufacturers of various sizes… and around 900 different modules kind of speaks for itself… and w/roland getting into in a smart way (putting money back into the scene by working w/an existing manufacturer/builder/designer) is only going to make more people think about modular as a thing they can maybe check out.

eurorack is a fun way to make music… sound design… experiment etc. there’s so many ideas… so much innovation…

the “scene” is becoming a thing of its own… shows, releases… even a record label or two have come out of it…

certainly it doesn’t fit everyone’s work flow or idea of a good time… there’s a learning curve.

also, we can point to any piece of gear (or software) and find a thousand shitty youtube videos of people using in a clueless way…

i don’t know what that has to do w/anything though. lot’s of people do cool stuff using whatever they have… and a modular or a drum machine or whatever is just another tool to make music with… another instrument.

i haven’t met a “hipster” with a modular yet and i sell the things everyday in Portland… a hipster mecca! :wink:

oh… and easy direction for elektron to go if they were to make a eurorack module would be to make an FM voice like one of the FM voices in the MnM or perhaps oh… i don’t know… a DSP based percussion module :slight_smile:

I doubt elektron will start making modules. But, who knows!
I’d love to see a poly analogue synth from them next. :smiley: (I can dream!)

As for modular: for me, it’s a personal thing. I can choose my filter type (Moog? Korg?), my oscs (raw classic waveforms? weirdness?), and the modulation possibilities are out of this world. While I love my synths for “go to” sounds, my modular is my creative canvas. I can make sounds on it that can’t be replicated (even by me once I unpatch! hah!) due to the mixture of modules and routing. It’s an amazing tool for coming up with ideas and beds or leads for songs. Expensive? Sure, it can be (doesn’t have to be though). I’ve already almost maxed out my 6U 84HP case and I plan on buying a 104 6U case… gulp

That’s true I guess…after starting with Synths like Virus, Radias and V Synth GT I got into Elektron machines and was amazed by their creative options and their take on making electronic music. Then I bought the Tinysizer and finally got into Eurorack. To me this was the best decision I ever made but of course I have to admit that the opportunity to build your own dreamsynth with total immediate control over any aspect of your sound etc. can be dangerous with regard to the financial side of things :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Concerning the question of the OP I did expect Elektron to dive into Eurorack some time ago because I considered them to have a certain affinity to the modular kind of way to getting things done. Now they seem to be busy to get Overbridge finished (which is great imo) and if I understood this correctly from a Sonicstate-vid there will be another VSti coming afterwards. Elektron certainly does not “need” to expand their products to modular stuff but if they do I do not see that there should be anything wrong with that.

All you really need is pwr, osc, amp, env, and a output. maybe an lfo also. analog keys can handle the rest.

here’s a little example.