Elektron take on modular

Hi all!

Theres is a question thats been on my head for the last few months and would like to ask your opinion on it.

Since everyone is following this Modular MEGA trend, what do you think it would be the Elektron take on it? It sure would be awesome as everything they done before but how you think they would approach it?

Will they go the classical way with some eurorack modules based on some of the brilliant ideas we see on their boxes? Sequencer/vco/effects/envelope/Adsr …etc elektron way
OR
Would you think they will go the usual box route making something like Nord modular Elektron way with their awesome sequencer, eurorack compatible and overbridge ready?

I think this is a great subject to discuss here and would love to hear your opinion
What do you think?

Cheers
Gonçalo

I think they will come with modules that just dont fit in any eurorack.
so you have to buy an elektron-case to go with it… it will not be compatible with any modular signal, unless u use sidebridge, which will come after they released overbridge… it will make coffee… or banana bread… depending on the mood of the artifical intelligence they put in it… and p-locks will be replaced with voltage-locks, which is either a sample-n-hold modulator or a new way to multiplex cv-signals into there new format. on your birthday, the displays will show a monkey…

that…

or they will just never release anything modular ever…

2 Likes

:joy:

It seems that they are more focusing on software integration, at least for now.
Besides, the A4 is really modular friendly. Maybe that’s their approach.
Who knows?Let’s be patient.
Wait and see…

1 Like

@the_dreammer Wow what a usefull reply!

Thank you for taking the time but try to be funny next time

Modular, schmodular.
Just a trendy flash in the pan…

It may be an annoying trend but you can’t deny some awesome new features. Like the digital wavetable features and innovative function modules.
You don’t have to grow a beard and go full hipster style :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: : some small case allow you to get just the small interesting modules.

1 Like

but this is the point … what is a good mini-modular or a small one
a multioszillator-box, an effects-box …

[/quote]
Compare the ancient Monomachine with intellijel shapeshifter, mutable intruments braids or waldorf NW1 … or Octatrack …
It’s really more about the sound picture you want to record and the tools you choose to make it.
I’m fighting the temptation for getting into eurorack, but fortunately nothing yet seems more compelling than it just being a different gadget than I already can do in an elektron box.
Truth is, there is nothing holding you back with the tools you might already have than yourself.
modular really seems to me to be a deep step into personal head experimentation. Which is great if that is what you want; but it is a very expensive indulgence if your real (original) goal is to record things that people will want to play repeatedly and you are just convincing yourself that you need fresh tools to do so.

2 Likes

[/quote]
Truth is, there is nothing holding you back with the tools you might already have than yourself.
modular really seems to me to be a deep step into personal head experimentation. Which is great if that is what you want; but it is a very expensive indulgence if your real (original) goal is to record things that people will want to play repeatedly and you are just convincing yourself that you need fresh tools to do so. [/quote]
I think you just cured my eurorack GAS.
Cheers mokomo - sincerely!

1 Like

I’m with you on this one.

Monomachine is doing a great job of keeping me away from Eurorack wallet goblins. The 2nd Monomachine that is on loan to me from a friend that I’m using as a modulation FX box is helping too. 1 MnM voice into 5 neighbor fx tracks and into 6 more tracks on a 2nd MnM can yield some great modular-esque results (36 LFOs, c’mon!)
I’m sure there are sounds out there I can’t make, but in the meantime I have more than enough to thoroughly enjoy the ride. Instant recall of patches is something I would have a hard time letting go of. Will buy my own 2nd Monomachine before a eurorack system, using those 6 outs to feed some midi friendly FX would help, if I ever hit the wall on sonic possibilities (not going to happen, especially with Elektron sequencers).

Besides that, a Eurorack would probably demand I buy an Octatrack for recording, assembling, performing, which makes it an even more slippery slope. If I were to entertain taking the deep sound design composition angle with a sampler for performance, I’d probably opt for Nord Modular + Reaktor to feed an OT. All I want is to write tracks, be able to record them, and also be able to perform them with live variation.

Can’t afford it all, so for the money that means either Eurorack + OT, or the AR/A4/MnM/NordDrum config that I already have, and the current config is actually a bit more portable for performance purposes.

I respect modular systems and those who design them and use them creatively. But I offer that respect at a distance, with my wallet safely tucked away.

To answer the OPs question, I don’t think Elektron is going to go beyond the A4’s CV sequencing, in terms of hardware.
It’s not really in their blood to go down this road.
Regarding the modular philosophy, a MonoMachine Mk3 with extensive modulation matrix would be my best guess.

4 Likes

Indeed i jumped right into modular with complex make noise modules and i came away with a meh outlook on modular

the make noise/bulcha clone stuff sounded digital and FM wasp like - i was expected very deep analog and across between moog voyager and experimental
Probably my mistake, but you learn!!!

I would just sit there in a mess of wires and think $1500 bucks down the drain for hours of FM farts that i can create in two seconds with monomachine

the monomachine it is an “advanced modular” in a simple box and i now run the mm into just modular filters

In fact i am currently mapping out the monomachine interface and labeling parts - on paper- to keep any left over modular gas at bay
i.e SSR - low pass gate
multimode filter = mm filters
distortion = wave shaper
seq and plocks - random source/source of uncertainty
FM- bulcha complex osc
mono arp - trigger riot
mono delay and reverb - make noise delay and reverb
monomachine wave tables - e350 morphing terrarium/ mutable digital
superwave - any analog modular triple osc or poly dsp module
and so on…

2 Likes

@mokomo - think you nailed it re. the Monomachine. Nothing against modular personally except lack of physical space & headspace.

1 Like

This topic takes a weird turn!

MnM is awesome and probably much more capable than a big case full of module (depending what you choose!!). But that’s a complete different experience. The choice of each component, the interface, the different and fresh approach if you already own an elektron…
Modular is a new trend that brings people to be creative and it bring more synth stuff. What’s not to like? Well the budget probably…but music is a pleasure.

Now, Elektron should do modular? That would be surfing a trend. Are they better doing OB? Not sure.
I just hope that they will keep bringing us fun and creative instruments.

Haha, I love it. :slight_smile:

Love my system. It did force me to buy an octatrack! Lol. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The audio damage seq1 is the euro take on The elektron sequencer.

been there

might go back one day, the new Roland (Maleko) stuff has my ear, if it can come somewhere near sys 700 sound.

prev mod gear (includes semi mod)

MS20 (X4)
MS50
MS04
SYS100 101, 102, 103, 104 (X 2)
ETI4600
Analog Systems RS Integrator
Modularized ARP Avatar
Patched out SEM
ARP 1604 Seq
Frostwave Fat Controller

my issue with them are way to many leads and many times un repeatable sounds(hence others using the OT)

the MnM almost works like a modular in some ways

Modular doesnt have to be a total money pit though - yeah, if you are after the big GASey modules then you have to outlay big GASey module money but I have only bought one expensive module so far and am having a blast with doepfer utility modules. Some doepfer modules are as low as £20, so can afford SOMETHING each month no matter what. My ultimate aim, 6u of doepfer and 3u of exciting modules in a rack and 3u tabletop of interesting human interaction modules (pressure points, minigorille if it gets released etc).

This thread did make me smile - everyone realises lots of SW heads say the same about hardware synth users? Hipsterism is all relative I guess XD

I hope that Elektron does not delve into modular.
They can do better than follwing the trend.

Looking at the recent NAMM and Messe, the modular market is exploding right now. Because everybody hopes to make some cash out of it.
Quite simple, since
a) it’s somewhat hip and nerdy
b) it’s analogue and has a vintage flavour (most of it)
c) you can sell stuff in smaller chunks, so more impulse buying etc.

At some point, the hype is going to blow.
Maybe we should start collecting mid-90s romples right now, might be the next big vintage trend :wink:

I like that small manufacturers have a way to bring their innovative stuff to the market more easily (e.g. Mutable Instruments, Bastl), but I’d love to see regular instruments / synths with that technology. Keeps you more focused on making music rather than exploring sounds.

I agree! In fact it was the MM interface & Elektrons step away from that type of design that got me into modular!
Back on point, will Elektron enter this market? Doubt it! Elektron have carved a very nice niche for themselves & Euro is starting to saturate already. That said, a few years ago no one would have considered them entertaining a computer platform & here’s Overbridge! Daniel Troberg appears to be is well into his modular too!