Elektron Syntakt Trademark Speculations [closed]

I don’t know so much about that. M:S can’t sample, can’t receive external audio from other sources, doesn’t have separate midi tracks and is generally much more basic compared to Digitakt when it comes to processing sounds. Not much overlap.

1 Like

hmm I see your point, I guess sometimes they feel similar to me cause I use them in the same way…

I just think that elektron are aware of the fact that there is a market for something as powerful leaning as an octatrack with the workflow of a model samples and the fun factor of the digitakt… just can’t see any reason for them not to fill that void and the rytm definitely is not it

or even something basically like a cross between a digitakt and an mpc one… they’d sell out

OB/Mixer/FXs in a box. OTB solved.

Someone asked Ess about how the Octatrack’s development during that AMA I mentioned and he said it was conceived as a Swiss Army knife that does lots of different tasks for a wide variety of applications and if they were to do another one then they would probably approach it in a similar manner. Not that I think there will be an Octatrack successor. Anyway, I’ll dig up the AMA and post a link to it here because it’s interesting reading!

3 Likes

that’s what I mean by octatrack leaning, I don’t think on the octatracks level cause that would ruin it… I think something that smacks of a much more powerful digitakt mk2 or octa/ms lol

we’re in a new era where a simple groove box can still be super powerful in ways that they weren’t back in the day, because now they’ve really got the core sequencer features and sampling features down…

Links to the 2018 AMAs that make for very interesting reading when considering future products:

A potentially interesting answer is that there is a Product Board that decides on the niche that Elektron should fill next, then the team sets to work. For example, given Digitakt’s popularity, the Product Board decided to produce a companion synth. It only became the Digitone when Ess and others decided that it should be FM and not VA, Wavetable, etc etc. Which is fascinating seeing as it was just decided that it should be a synth in Digi format, and how it would come out wasn’t a consideration initially. So, when considering Syntakt or whatever else it becomes, the Product Board will have already decided, for example, we need a drum machine in Digi format. How it turns out is down to the team’s ideas.

5 Likes

I think there is a lot of respect for the octatrack ethos and legacy but going forward I feel like this is the direction they are going…(video starts at the point where Ess is responding to a reddit post from someone thinking the model series was dumbing down)… I love how he responded btw

Well, given what I just said above about the Product Board deciding to produce certain niches, I think the Models might be done and dusted. They did the companion synth for Model:Samples, and with the Power Handle débâcle, I think they’ll move onto other ideas now. Judging by the Elektronauts questionnaires and the job adverts we’ve seen, my money is on much tighter hardware/software hybrids as the next generation.

1 Like

that’s very interesting I didn’t know that, well hopefully the product board can tell that if all they did was add stereo capability, sample chopping, and more sample storage to the digitakt that it would sell like hotcakes…

or if all they did was add sampling, slicing, and an fx suite to the model samples every sp-404 user would own one

that’s alot of chips for not alot of overhead… but I’m thinking if they did entertain doing something like another groove box or a digitakt mk2 that it would even be better than that.

1 Like

They don’t relly strike me as the “sell like hotcakes” type of company, aiming at the AMA quote about product boards and niches etc

1 Like

and yet them digi-cakes are very good and sold very well

Oh? How well did it sell compared to the Octatrack?

for people who prefer the digitakt, very well :slight_smile:

what would you octatrack users like added if anything?

Not an answer.

So give us the details that you seem to have. C’mon, hand over the numbers.

If we’re gonna talk hotcakes this and what’s good for the company that, you’re going to have to back it up with actual figures if you want folks to take your assertions with anything more than a grain of salt.

1 Like

I don’t have the numbers it’s just my perceptions in these parts…

my thoughts on what they come out with next aren’t even assertions, more akin to wishes… but sound wishes for sure

I know you have two octatracks, are you interested in an new model or generally satisfied with them as they are?

I’m not talking about your thoughts on what they come out with.

I’m talking about this.

That’s an assertion. Such an assertion would lead a person to believe you have information that informs this assertion.

So, tell us just how well they sold? A real answer. Not a vague answer about product enjoyment.

If you don’t know, that’s okay too. But then maybe the assertions are disingenuous, hmm?

if I rephrased it it would still probably come out the same

1 Like

There have been quotes made pointing to admittances from Elektron staff that the digitakt was one of their most successful products. But i’m third hand reporting on second hand reports so grains of salt and all that

1 Like

disingenuous?
not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

“he was being somewhat disingenuous as well as cynical”

I don’t think so Adam but your milage may vary

I think not having ‘the numbers’ constitutes actually knowing less and not pretending to know less.