Elektron multi-power supply unit in 2023

So I was looking into the options for combining/minimizing the power supplies for my MD+UW MkII, AR Mk1 and A4 Mk1 into one central box. This is the latest thread (2021) I’ve seen on the general subject:

…but what are the options as of today? It seem to recall others using high-power guitar pedal power distribution (Cioks, Eventide, Voodoo) in portable setups for multiple Elektrons, plus there’s more Amazon options it seems today.

What works, and what doesn’t?

3 Likes

Would really love to know too😊 Following

1 Like

Looks like this Cioks DC7 has 12v switchable on all ports, but at 500mA max. Is that enough?

Edit: Also says the max output is 2A… might not be able to run three then.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CIOKSDC7--cioks-dc7-pedal-power-supply

Can confirm Cioks works but you need two port per
square elektron (dt and st is what I tested)
They sell small adapters too but not cheap

1 Like

Any visual examples of how this is done?

Also taking direction from the previous thread, I found these similar (if not identical) options:

Way cheaper obviously. Anyone had any luck with this route?

No sorry, I just tested to see if it worked once, then I ended up using the cioks for pedals and its kind of packed into a rack and not easily accessible

But I just followed this video

2 Likes

I’m powering my Octatrack and Digitone with one usb multi charger with 20w per usb port, and two Rip Cords (or Bird cords). Don’t know if that’s enough for the analogs though

1 Like

https://cioks.com/accessories/special-flex-cables/parallel-adapter-flex/

2 Likes

So not an expert at all,
but you may not have luck with Cioks on A4 and AR

The parallel adapter @brucegill linked is the right one, but I think that will only get you around 1A

And it looks like they need more like 1.7A based on this other thread

2 Likes

I bet there are quite a few of us with 2 or 3 Electron boxes on the desktop that would like a 1 mains PSU with 3 or 4 sockets for Elektron power out option…maybe Elektron will spot the gap in the market!

4 Likes

Indeed.

Or maybe some other manufacturer will! Like a brand that specializes in power supplies, like Anker or something.

I would love to consolidate power… I’ve managed to do it for all USB-powered stuff, but for everything else I actually have a power conditioner sitting right on my desk for things that I swap out. Power is definitely a pain!

3 Likes

I bought a 7.5 amp 12 volt power brick that was left over from some guys security camera system, the end is 5.5x2.1 so it fits a guitar pedal daisy chain but from the chain to Elektron devices 2.5 adapter is required. Elektron device psu is rated at 2 amps (2000mah) but I’ve never measured the actual draw. 7.5 amps is plenty for 3 boxes in practice, in theory possibly 4.

“channel well technology co. LTD”

model: cam090121

center positive.

I think I paid something ridiculous like $7 for it plus shipping, and I’m pretty sure he has more. He sent it out fast and had good communication. If you want the link to where I bought it, shoot me a message.

2 Likes

Yup. Just checked. That’s a shame!

1 Like

I’ve decided just to velcro the central bricks of the three power supplies together and use these 12" IEC cords to connect them to a rackmount Furman above the desk. Less than ideal but it will save a lot of space versus extra wrapped-up cables at least.

1 Like

you could do that, no reason not to.

2 Likes

Sep 2022

edit: ah, already mentioned

Always looking for elegant, minimal design solutions… but sometime you have to compromise.

Yeah, fuhrman is solid no question. If you decide you want simple and cheap let me know and I’ll find the link where I bought this power supply from.

1 Like