Elektron ECC-6 Backpack

I just checked and the Thoman/M-Audio could also fit 4 models inside (if you like to party) and one in the front pocket as well.

basically, it has some options, but due to all the padding has less room inside than the ECC-6.

1 Like

Yes, iā€™ve been using it mostly for my MD and Mnm while carrying OT in Elektronā€™s ECC-3 bag.
Iā€™m wondering if this new bag could be better than this Thomannā€™s bag when i need to carry only two machines + cables + headphones + one or two pedalsā€¦ bc all that doesnā€™t fit into the Thomannā€™s bag easily, if at all

2 Likes

Is there a side access to the laptop sleeve? From the rear picture it looks like there is side zipper

Yea, i see the ECC-6 as a bit more versatile and Elektron specific, at the cost of some side padding.

I keep my headphones in another shell case, carabiner clipped to the side, helps a lot.

I didnā€™t realize i could put a Model in the front pocket until you asked for a comparison though, so thanks for bringing that up. I could definitely start using it more for smaller gigs.

Also, could go sideways thanks to flex in the thomann bag to get an OT plus two models in the main pocket.

Going sideways with MD/MM like this gives you some space on the sides inside the main compartment, giving you a little room for PSUs and cables.
Realizing now i could do OT/A41/MS in the main compartment.
Gear tetris is fun.

2 Likes

Yeah, that sleeve (Iā€™ll call it a document sleeve for differentiation) you can see in the photos above is only accessible through the main compartment.

Thereā€™s also a sleeve accessible from a zip on the side for a laptop - this is entirely separate from the main compartment and the ā€˜document sleeveā€™. Both sleeves should happily fit a 15" laptop (I only have a 13" to test with, but thereā€™s extra space).

2 Likes

Does both laptop sleeves have false bottoms to protect from bottom impacts?

The ā€˜laptop sleeveā€™ ends about an inch from the bottom of the bag, so should be fine if the bag is packed. The ā€˜document sleeveā€™ goes all the way to the bottom of the bag, so is only protected by the 3-4mm padding there.

2 Likes

after viewing all photos one of my concerns,
(that might be a con, needs real-world testing)
would be the exposed buckle they used here.
being an avid hiker, a carabiner would of been optimal.
doesnā€™t look like much strap leeway.
riding a bike or just constant jolting movement in general, would seem like it would detach eventually.
a carabiner would prevent this.
for short, less aggressive travel, Iā€™m sure it will probably due. but you never knowā€¦you could have to maybe run suddenly and risk it being undone.

Yea I think the model sleeves use the same mechanism.

I had that fear as well, with those sleeves. But rolled tight, it does fine.
You have the rolled material underneath, pushing up - adding tension to the buckle, keeping it tight. My old Xtracycle used the same latches and when pulled tight they were both reliable but also quick to open intentionally.

Not hard to swap with other hardware if you do find it undoing itself somehow, though.

1 Like

The buckle has a deeper hook to it than might be apparent in that original picture.

The loop it passes through is also sewn quite close, so thereā€™s not much option for upward travel.

With only a light amount of pressure pulling it down, it doesnā€™t really jiggle, and thereā€™s not a mechanical force thatā€™d undo it. Unlike a carbiner on a piece of rope/string, the webbing pulls downward an equal amount along the hook, so there isnā€™t leeway for it to get jiggled diagonally and slip out of place. And the hook is deep enough that it doesnā€™t slide out sideways. If itā€™s cinched down on the bag, it seems secure.

Iā€™ll have to report back after real-world usage, but it looks like Chrome, for instance, use similar hooks on some of their models, and they design specifically for bike/active usage, so it seems to be a tested design.

4 Likes

And this is why I have so many different gear bags depending on what combination of gear Iā€™m bringingā€¦ small vs. medium vs. heavy load.

2 Likes

Most people neither need it nor want to pay for full immersion waterproofing.

3 Likes

I just received mine and I am disappointed. It feels thin and cheap for the price. I donā€™t feel comfortable putting any of my devices in it.

Quite true! A generic (and only the most generic!) patch could probably easily cover it tooā€¦

ā€˜This is a patch.ā€™

1 Like

Mine arrives Monday.

Going to make a great walking dead go-bag.

OT, power, bottle of water, wipes, TP, machete. listed in order of importance

5 Likes

The OT would be a formidable weaponā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m able to fit an OT, A4 MK1, MS inside, with a 16ā€ MacBook Pro.
Def has room for my MC too, but mine is on loan.

Good padding on front, rear, and bottom. Especially around and beneath laptop compartment.

No padding on the sides though so be mindful, especially if you put your MK1s in horizontal like this:

But there are water bottle pockets on those sides too, so you have two layers of fabric and straps, at least. Could easily stuff some foam in those pockets if you feel necessary.

Front pocket should be good enough for some PSUs, but you may need another small satchel for other leads/headphones if you really want to rock 4 non-digi sized Elektrons in this single bag.

Probably. Depends on how thick your laptop is.

4 Likes

Will it fit my digitone keys? :rofl:

1 Like

haha, i had hopes it could fit the AK, but certainly not

1 Like